Chapter 7

My breathing faltered entirely. The girl was dead. There was no denying it. Her chest stayed steady, still.

Soon the realisation of her identity flooded through my mind like a tidal wave, crashing over every other thought and destroying it in an instant. Every doubt was submerged and drowned by the revelation and my heart shattered into a million pieces.

She was Gregs daughter.

The one he fought so hard to save.

I dragged the pieces of my heart and forced them back together momentarily and turned to the scene before me.

"Tyler, take them to the square," I ordered and in an instant, he was dragging Gregs opponent away with Sophie, while the other two protection wolves, Josh and Dave, hauled Greg away.

Gradually, the crowd thinned as people raced to get to the square to get a front row view. As soon as the last person left, I collapsed at the girls side, guilt eating away at me. Tears flooded down my cheeks, staining them with salty water. I grasped her cold, white hand in my own and with the other, flitted her beautiful grey eyes closed.

I felt a sudden warmth beside me before I was encircled in a pair of strong arms and thrust against a beating heart. I sunk against Zachs chest, clinging to every shred of warmth and comfort he provided while my hand was still closed around the girls own cold, dead fingers.

"There was nothing you could've done," he whispered, detaching my hand from hers and pulling it to him, warming it with his body heat.

"I am supposed to protect the pack," I snivelled. I should've been there, attacking this man before he could hurt her but instead, I was caught up in my own world; having breakfast.

"It wasn't your fault," Zach promised, but it didn't shake the nauseous feeling that swirled around with the guilt in my stomach. I didn't have the energy to argue so instead, sunk deeper into his hold and curled my body tighter, seeking his warmth and security.

In the distance, voices from the pack reached my ears and the nausea grew. "She isn't fit to be Alpha. She is too soft, like her mother," a deep voice grumbled.

Behind me, snarls and barks sounded and I knew that they had all heard what I heard. "I agree, she will probably give them second and third chances. Her father would've torn them both to shreds without showing any mercy." The other chuckled softly, as if reminiscing about when my dad was Alpha.

"Ignore them," Zach hissed in my ear. "You are the perfect combination of both of them. Your mom and your dad," he assured me and right then and there, all I wanted to do was remain in his hold for the rest of our lives.

But sadly, that wasn't possible, so instead I pulled myself together and pushed away from Zach's hold and to my own two feet. With one last look at the lifeless body on the floor, I turned on my heels and directed my stride towards the square. The shouts and chatter died down to a few whispers and hushes as I stepped up on the stage and turned to the two men.

Both had their hands strung above their heads with silver cuffs clasped around their wrists. One slight movement or resistance and the silver would simmer through their skin.

I cleared my throat slightly to remove the lump that had formed, and caught everyone's attention. "Who initiated this fight?" I asked them loud and clear, making sure to release a small blast of dominance.

After a moments silence I finally got my answer. "I did," Greg admitted, shame and hatred dripping from his voice.

I narrowed my eyes at him momentarily, shocked by his answer, before nodding. "Why?"