Chapter 53

I was engaged.

Engaged!

I flaunted my ring in the mirror the next morning as I got ready for the day, admiring the piece of jewellery that I loved immensely.

Once I was ready, I skipped downstairs to come face to face with reality. Zach and Liam were leaving to day. The man I was supposed to marry was leaving.

"Hey beautiful." He suddenly appeared, pressing a kiss to my lips before taking my left hand and admiring his new 'territory'. "God its so good that you are officially mine."

I smiled. "I was always yours." I kissed him.

I followed him into the kitchen to find Dean and Aiden sat at the counter with Liam and froze. "What's going on?" I asked and the three looked up.

"Congratulations." Liam nodded towards my ring and I blushed.

"Thanks." Zach and I hadn't managed to get home until early this morning since we were busy celebrating all night. It was a perfect night but was bittersweet knowing it would be followed with a goodbye.

"We came to speak to you," Aiden explained and I nodded for him to elaborate. "I want you to be Alpha. Of both packs."

His words were like a slam in the face and if I hadn't been clinging to Zach in secret hopes I could keep him with me, I would've stumbled backwards. "Are you kidding? What about you?" I frowned.

"I never did like it. And I want to finish school and graduate, not be Alpha when there is someone much more capable to do the job," he explained.

"You were born to be an Alpha, Ella," Dean added. "Your dad taught you everything you need to know. You are the best person for it."

"You really think I will be ok with such a big pack?" I asked incredulously. I wasn't my father - either of them, I wasn't a strong, ruthless leader. "And do you really think they will follow me? A woman?"

"Definitely, you have what other Alphas lack; compassion, fairness, forgiveness. Those qualities are what make you stronger than any male Alpha alive and both packs will be right behind you as one," my dad told me and my heart squeezed.

"So will you do it?" Aiden asked.

I glanced to my fiancé whose words rang through my head. I'll always believe in you. I thought of my dad who raised me to be Alpha despite the fact I was a girl and knew if he was here, he would be screaming at me to say yes. I thought of my mom, who taught me all those qualities, assuring me they would help me be stronger than any man in power.

"Yes." I found myself answering with a huge smile.

"Its a good job because our pack is already in the square alongside yours, waiting for their new Alpha," Aiden beamed, grabbing my wrist and detaching me from Zach before dragging me to the square.

He hopped straight up on stage and silenced everyone. "Allow me to introduce to you, our Alpha," he boomed before stepping aside and kneeling.

I smiled down at my younger brother and friend, finding it difficult to believe he was so young. He was only just 16 and had been Alpha to the largest pack in the country for almost a year.

But then I was no different. 17 years old and engaged to my nearly 19 year old boyfriend, leader of the largest pack in the world, about to finish high school and simultaneously lead a pack of wolves into war against innocent, scared people.

I watched as everyone bowed, a wave passing over the crowd until those at the very back, pressed up against the wall of a house, were lowering their heads in submission.

5000 wolves stood before me, awaiting my commands, awaiting my guidance, my leadership. My own father bowed down alongside my fiancé - after he sent me a wink - and my best friends in the world.

I felt the dominance seep into my veins as the number of submitters grew massively, could feel my bones strengthen, my claws sharpen, my teeth ache for flesh. The more dominant I was, the stronger and faster I became and with the biggest pack in the world, I was instantly the strongest Alpha on the planet.

And I felt it. Every drop of power consumed me as I rose above everyone I cared about, everyone I was responsible for. It all felt surreal.

"Rise." My voice boomed through the air, bouncing around the valley. Every head lifted to stare straight at me and I smiled back, feeling my power high simmer down.

"You are all dismissed." I turned and hugged my brother before joining the rest of my family.

"I'm so proud of you," Zach whispered against my lips. I smiled against his mouth and blocked out the group of people while I lapped my tongue over his in my mouth.

"You have to go now don't you." I sighed as he suddenly pulled away and frowned.

"I'm sorry baby." He kissed the top of my head and pulled me against him. "I love you."

I squeezed the life out of him while burying my head in his shirt, taking in his scent to remember while he was gone. "I love you too. I'll be waiting for you."

"And I'll be counting the days until I can get back to you," he assured me, reluctantly letting go.

I turned to Liam and practically threw myself at him. "I'll miss you," I told him, holding him close and nestling my face in the crook of his neck.

"I'll miss you too," he told me, pulling away to kiss my cheek. "Stay safe ok?" He pleaded and I nodded.

"You too." I looked to Zach. "Both of you."

They both agreed and let me go. I slammed my lips to Zach's one last time, tasting him, touching him, committing every detail to memory as if I would never see him again.

Eventually, we pulled apart and I stepped back into Ryders awaiting arms. Liam left a quick kiss on Lexis lips that had everyone staring wide eyed at her but all I could look at was the two Thorn brothers walking away from me while I stayed with the rest of our dysfunctional but incredible family.

Zach turned back once he had crossed the square. "I love you," he mouthed and I mouthed back.

"I love you too."

****
This is the end of the second book in the Alpha series, I really hope you all enjoyed!

But don't worry... there will be a third and final book in the series!!

I'm in the process of writing it now so hopefully the first chapter will be up soon!