Chapter 22

The next day, I sat in the window of the office with a tall glass of fruit cocktail that Liam had made for me and my mothers diary, rereading the pages again and again until the words were imprinted in my brain.

I was so engrossed in the words scribbled in her beautiful handwriting, I didn't hear Zach return from his training session or sneak into the office to stand behind me.

"Why can I smell alcohol?" He asked, sending me jolting up in the chair while my heart thundered violently in my chest.

"Don't do that!" I scolded, hoping to distract him from his own question. "You scared me," I breathed.

"Sorry sweetheart." He pressed a light kiss to my lips, darting his tongue out to swipe over my lower lip before he pulled back. "You taste like it too."

I scrunched up my face, confused by his words and his scowl. "Alcohol," he clarified. "What is that?"

I followed his pointed finger to my glass and rolled my eyes. "Its a cocktail, its boiling and I need to stay refreshed." I shrugged.

"And drunk apparently."

"Zach?" I sighed, shaking my head. "Why does it matter?"

"Because," he started. "I promised your dad I would always take care of you and you are underage so you will have to find another drink."

He claimed my lips in his a second later, coaxing me into giving into him, which I did - for a second. When he pulled away, smirking victoriously, I crossed my arms over my chest. "You drank scotch with him and you still drink it," I challenged.

"My dad didn't ask anyone to take care of me. I made a promise and I always keep my promises," he explained.

"Technically he isn't my dad," I told him but he raised a brow in his usual daring manner. "I'm afraid, my dearest love, that I am your alpha, not the other way around so you will just have to take care of me in other ways."

To hint at what other ways he could take care of me, I gently bit his earlobe, breathing lightly over his skin when he groaned. "Ella."

Leaning back, I grinned. Zach losing his control gave me great satisfaction and while he attempted to compose himself, I took a long slurp of my drink.

"Why are you reading that again?" He suddenly asked, snatching the diary from my hands and scowling.

"I was reading the good parts," I explained, jumping to snatch it back but he held it high above his head.

"Liar." He looked up to see the page Ryder read aloud yesterday and growled.

"Zach give it back," I grumbled, jumping towards him again. I struggled to reach for a while, hating the stupid smirk sprawled over his face. "Zach!" I snarled, hopping up and curling my legs around his hips so I was straddling him.

He held a certain gleam in his eyes when he leaned down to kiss me. "Perfect." He smiled, taking in my position.

I gasped as the realisation hit me like a train. "You played me." My jaw fell when his smirk grew. "You sneaky bastard."

"You played me first," he reminded me, leaning in and biting my earlobe gently to back up his point.

"Give it back." A pout formed on my lips as he shook his head and waved the diary high above him. Out the corner of my eye, I watched a small folded scrap piece of paper flutter to the floor and hopped down off Zach's waist to get a better look.

"What's that?" I asked him despite the fact he wouldn't have ever seen it before and he didn't have x-ray vision.

He shrugged as I leaned down to pick it up and gingerly unfolded it. A small message was scrawled on the inside and I recognised the writing immediately.

Meet me here at 18:00. I love you. X

Below was an address that I hadn't seen before but recognised the area as a few miles from Ridgeview. "Its a note from my dad," I muttered.

I rounded my desk and plopped into the chair, typing the address into my search bar as quickly as I could. "What is it?" Zach asked and I handed him the note.

A few seconds later, we were both looking at a small cottage on the computer screen. It looked beautiful and homely but quite remote. "Why do think they met there?" I asked.

"Not sure, do you recognise it at all?" Zach asked me and I shook my head.

"I want to go, meet whoever lives there. Maybe its the same person as when they went and if my mom kept it in her diary, it was obviously important," I told him, already half way out the room when I was pulled around to face him.

"I'm coming with you." His tone left no room for argument but I asked anyway.

"Is there any point trying to argue?"

"Nope." He grinned victoriously as I nodded. "Liams coming too, just in case," he stated, still in his 'no arguments' tone.

"Anyone else you would like to invite?" I offered sarcastically with an eye roll.

"No, the two of us should be enough," he replied.

"How many times do I need to remind you that I am Alpha. I can manage on my own," I told him.

"You don't need to remind me at all, I remember quite well. I also remember that since we met, you have been in danger more times than I can count and kidnapped and locked away twice. We're coming, end of story."

He gave me his best daring look, knowing I would probably try to argue and he was ready to win that battle no matter what. But I could see his plead in his eyes along with the worry that constantly resided there so instead of arguing, I kissed him.

The kiss spoke everything we weren't saying to each other. My secret thanks for him coming because I wanted him with me, danger or not. His thanks for not fighting him on the matter. My need for him to understand I was stronger than he knew and his need for me be safe in his arms.

Every thought and emotion poured into our kiss and I was desperately telling him everything with my lips tugging on his while his tongue stroked over my own.

"Ew! Ew gross." Liams voice - dripping with disgust - pulled us apart and while Zach turned to glare at his brothers interruption, I blushed majorly and buried my head in the crook of his neck.

"Liam! Get the hell out!" Zach barked when he made no move to leave, despite the cold glare he was getting.

"Actually, no stay." I jumped in, putting me on the receiving end of Zach glares before it morphed into confusion.

"What?" They both asked, Zach shocked and Liam amused.

I rolled my eyes at the both of them and reached for the small slip of paper with the address. "We found this in my moms diary," I told him, leaving out the detail about how I was practically riding his brother at the time.

"Okay..?" He sent me a questioning look. "And?"

"And I want to go to the address, see what I can find. But, Zach insists you both have to come with me... so will you?" I asked hopefully.

"You have no idea where it is? Whats there? Who's there? Anything?" He raised an incredulous eyebrow.

"I searched it and its a cottage I think but I don't know what or who is there. Thats why I want to go. See what we can find," I explained and he nodded in understanding.

"Ok, when do you want to go?" He asked us and I shared a glance with Zach.

"Now?"