Chapter 16

"Are you ok?" Liam asked me. I could hear the thudding of his feet pacing the concrete floor beside the bed while I lay, pale and weak, on the thin mattress.

I parted my cracked lips while my eyes pried open. "I'm fine," I replied but my dry throat caused my voice to come out rough and weak.

"Come on Zach. Where the hell is he?" He growled, slamming his fist into the slab of concrete in front of him. Only a second later a yelp escaped his lips and he was clutching his fist in pain.

"Idiot," I hissed, assuming he had now broken his hand. I watched with drooping eyes as he stretched his hand then clasped it back into a fist only seconds later.

"Argh! I hate being human. I hate feeling pain. Its crap," he grumbled, sliding down the wall so he was sat on the floor with his arms resting on his knees.

"You're telling me," I scoffed. Constantly, I was drifting in and out of consciousness and currently, I feared if I was to fall asleep, I wouldn't wake up.

"I'm sorry El. I don't know what I can do." He sighed and the guilt and pain clouded his shimmering blue eyes that reminded me so much of Zach.

"Just, help me stay awake," I whispered and he nodded.

"Okay," he agreed, pushing up off the floor and joining me on the bed. Almost instinctively, his hand threaded into my hair and his fingers dragged through my long, matted locks.

"You know, when I was adopted, there was a woman who was a werewolf who lived just outside my village," he started. "She knew my mom and dad and she used to tell me how they were but never where to find them or any information that could help me find them."

"She told me about how they had another son and I was only young but I got so angry. I trashed my entire house and broke everything in sight before my adopted parents kicked me out." He laughed gently, as though it was a fond memory which I couldn't quite understand.

"Eventually, I was adopted again and then I ran away when I started to transform. By that time, I was far from the old lady and heard nothing about my real family so I went to your mom to help me track them down," he continued while my eyes grew heavier and heavier.

"I couldn't understand how they could get rid of me but not their other son, and I guess I will never know but I did know that if I ever met my brother, I would hate him with every fibre of my being. I swore to myself I would kill him and prove to my parents they gave up the wrong son."

A shiver ran down my spine at Liams words and I couldn't help but feel a pit of dread in my stomach, being so helpless and weak beside him. "And then I guess I grew up a little and I realised how completely alone I was, and when I heard our parents were dead, I lost all hope of having a family. I thought I would be alone for the rest of my life," he continued.

"All I had was Zach and despite my slight resentment, I was so desperate to not be alone. And then I met him, and he is so strong and so brave and he loves you more than I have ever loved anything and I can't help but be completely amazed by him." A smile crawled onto my face while my eyes drooped further closed.

"Neither can I," I hummed in agreement. "I didn't think I could love someone that much and I never in a million years thought anyone would love me that much." I laughed lightly. "I used to think I was so strong up until I met Zach, I never relied on anyone, never needed a mate, I was going to rule the world on my own."

Liam laughed gently behind me, still stroking his fingers through my hair. "When I first met him I was so weak. It was like he completely broke my wolf and I was this little girl again. Its weird really, he broke me and made me weak but then built me back up again, stronger than ever but with him holding me up. He forced himself into the foundations of my strength and now I think without him I would completely crumble."

Liam gently kissed my temple before speaking. "I don't think he is going anywhere," he whispered.

"Liam?" My voice had lost all strength and came out as a shaky whisper.

"Yeah?"

"Please be there for him," I begged, clutching the hand that wasn't in my hair with my own small, trembling one. His skin was warm around my own greying, cold flesh.

"What do you mean?" He whispered back, his voice wavering slightly.

My eyes were sunken and soulless as the lids fought hopelessly to stay open. "And tell him..." I started, forgetting my words as darkness blanketed my sight.

"Ella!" Liams tone was frantic and shaky as I felt him haul my body against him. "Ella, stay awake remember," he demanded, shaking me gently.

"I can't. Liam I am going to die," I murmured, still blinded by the jet black that surrounded me. "Tell him that I love him." My words came out slow and soft, my head lulling to the side against his solid chest.

"No! You can tell him yourself Ella, please!" He snapped, shaking my numbing body a little more violently.

I fell completely limp against him as a tear peeked out and slipped down my cheek. "Liam." It was a plead itself.

"Ella! Stay awake ok please." His volume matched my own as hopelessness dripped from his tone.

"Liam!"

I gripped his arm a little tighter as the voice bounced off the concrete walls, followed by a slamming sound. I'd know that voice anywhere and my heart beat picked up a little, fluttering in my chest.

"Zach." Liams voice drenched with relief as the thudding of feet on concrete pattered in the background. "Your timing could not be better," he hissed, shaking me again slightly.

"Ella." It was louder this time. He was so close to me, tingles started to spread over my skin.

"Zach." The edges of my lips curved upwards and I wished I had the strength to peel my eyes open, to lift my heavy head and move my lifeless body so I was facing him.

So I could see his beautiful eyes that would be shimmering with a concoction of relief and fear right now. So I could run my blue, grey hands through his soft, thick locks. So I could enclose myself in his strong, safe arms and stay there for as long as possible.

"I'm here sweetheart. You're ok," he whispered and it was a promise. And I knew Zach kept his promises. Strong, protective arms curled around me and soon my nostrils were flooded with his familiar scent.

"I love you," I croaked out before my head tipped to the side and I collapsed against him, fading into the spinning abyss of black.