Chapter 44

"Let them go," Rick breathed the order and soon the five other wolves were backing off while the one beneath me shifted back to its largely built and furious looking human form. The whole of his face was slashed open from my claws and blood gushed from the wounds like Niagara falls.

I immediately shifted and ran to Zach who was panting on the floor, slowly healing. I could read the anger oozing from him and nerves bubbled up in my stomach - he wouldn't take this lightly.

"Are you ok?" I asked him, kissing his blood stained lips lightly and helping his pull to his feet.

"I'm fine baby," He assured me and we both quickly shifted our gazes to Liam.

"Liam?" I ran to his side and pulled his head around so I could asses the damage, he was a little more beaten than Zach but he was already healing.

"I'm good sweetheart." He grinned when I kissed his cheek. "Your cheek." He nodded towards the stream of blood trickling down my face but I could already feel the tissues healing and repairing themselves.

"It's fine," I promised, helping him stand and then turning back to Rick who smiled maniacally.

"I'll see you soon Ella," he promised before vanishing in the thick of the woods with the rest of his guys before anyone could launch themselves at him and tear him to shreds.

Zach curled his arm around me and planted a kiss on my cheek where the slice in my skin started to scab. I couldn't help but lean into his warm embrace and bask in his strong hold. After everything, his arms would always be my safe haven. "Are you sure you are ok?" I asked him.

"I'm sure baby," he promised so I flickered my gaze to Liam.

"I'm fine." He smiled but it was a little forced.

Finally I looked to my father, suddenly seeing him differently. He didn't send threats to me and was manipulated by his brother to attack my pack rather than just sit down and talk with me, he lost the woman he loved to another man and then his own flesh and blood killed her. He lost both of his children when he almost died and spent months locked in his own cell, losing his pack to his son and then his one chance to kill the man who caused most of that pain was taken away by the daughter that hates him.

I no longer feared him, no longer looked at him with hate and anger blazing in my eyes. Now I saw him as lonely, stronger than anyone initially realised and more loving than I could imagine. I found that I trusted him.

"Thank you." I smiled genuinely at him, appreciative that he let the man he hates go to protect the people I love.

He simply smiled a little back but I could see how dim, how hopeless his eyes were. "I'm sorry," I whispered, stepping closer to him.

He looked at me with confusion and pain swirling in his murky green eyes. "For what?" He asked, genuinely clueless.

"For doubting you. I should've trusted you," I admitted. He had told me the day I released him from the cell that he hadn't threatened me and hadn't intended to ever hurt me but I was too stubborn to listen and consider the possibility.

He studied me for a moment. "You had absolutely no reason to, especially after what he did to you, thinking it was me." He shrugged in understanding and my heart warmed a little.