Chapter 35

The next morning, I hammered my fist against the apartment door in block J, waiting impatiently for someone to answer. This block wasn't too shabby and was full of cubs playing in the hallways.

"Alpha Reed." A young girl ran past me as though she might catch a disease from me and I frowned. I had always been close with my pack, every member - old or young. But now they feared me and I hated it.

I wanted respect, definitely. I hated being disrespected but fear was totally different. The fact that people ran from me made my heart ache a little.

The girl was tiptoeing back towards me to pick up a hair clip I assumed she had dropped as she flashed past. She approached me cautiously, as if not to wake a sleeping dragon. "Here you go sweetie." I picked up the clip and handed it to her, making sure to smile brightly.

"Thank you," she mumbled with a small, nervous smile.

"This is pretty." The clip was pink and sprinkled with glitter and a small plastic daisy was glued to one end.

Her smile magnified. "My daddy bought it for me. Its my favourite." She took the clip from my hand and slotted it back into her hair.

"Alpha Reed?" Olivers voice called from behind me and I turned to see him in the doorway with a pair of shorts on and small droplets of water falling from his hair and trailing down his bare chest.

He was reasonably good looking but was nothing compared to Zach. He was slimmer and nowhere near as muscled but he still had a sturdy build and ripped abs. I turned back to the girl. "Bye sweetie."

"Bye!" She waved and threw her arms around my legs before scurrying off, leaving me smiling.

"Sorry, I was in the shower," Oliver explained as I turned back to him.

I waved him off. "Don't worry about it. I'm sorry to bother you but I am spending the day with my friends who I assume are around the same age as you and Liv and wondered if you wanted to join us? You could meet some of the pack and there is a kids club downstairs for Luca if he wanted to meet some of the kids here."

"That sounds great." He grinned. "Let me check with the others?"

I nodded. "Thats fine, we are meeting at mine in about an hour so if you want to come then just meet us there, if not see you soon."

"Thanks Alpha Reed." He grinned.

"God please call me Ella," I begged, always imagining my father as Alpha Reed. "See you."

With that, I made my way back down the stairs and out into the warm sunshine. Today, the sun shone brightly over the valley, simmering through all the clouds so there was a clear blue sky. The warm air brushed over my bare skin as I crossed the village in a pair of white ripped shorts and a black t-shirt. My hair was pinned back in a ponytail and curled loosely.

"Hey beautiful." Zachs voice cut through the peace and quiet of the summer morning. Sundays meant a rest for most of the pack so the only activity were cubs chasing each other through the street or a few people strolling in the summer sun.

"Nice run?" I asked him, trying to keep my gaze focused on his eyes. Not the droplets of sweat on his upper lip or his damp hair or the way his top clung to his glistening skin. A sweaty man had never, ever been a turn on - until Zach anyway.

His scent was raw and masculine and somehow he looked bigger, broader and more muscular while his shadow cast over the grass beside us. "A bit too hot," he admitted and I grinned, walking home alongside him.

"What did I say?" I teased.

"Yeah, yeah you were right," he grumbled, taking my own sweaty palm into his extremely large and soaked hand.