Coming Home

I'm on my way back. The text I had sent to my brother three days ago was the last piece of communication between us after he'd told me Jax's baby was ten weeks premature and in danger of dying. When my older brother Harry (Opie) Winston had been arrested for arson, I'd warned my sister-in-law, the whole of the Sons of Anarchy based in Charming, California, and the queen of Charming - Gemma Teller - that if he was convicted I would be leaving town until he got out. Opie spent five years in jail for the Sons, and I'd spent five years and four months away from Charming. I'd ended up staying with some of our distant relatives in Nashville, Tennessee who helped me find a good job as an actuary that I could do from my laptop and gotten me into fashion - my female cousins my age wouldn't let me walk out of the house unless I was wearing something fashionable. Maybe I should call ahead and let them know I'm finally coming home... Nah, I'll surprise them.

The 'Welcome to Charming' sign hadn't changed a bit since I'd left, nothing in the town had changed, nothing except me. From the edge of town to the Teller-Morrow auto garage where I was sure to find the queen or one of the Sons, the last leg of my thirty-six hour drive - was only fifteen minutes - felt like another hour on its own. As soon as I pulled my Midnight Black 2008 Lincoln Mark LT into the lot, I saw Gemma look up from her desk in the office and come outside. Probably wondering who the hell has such a new truck with a Harley Dyna strapped in the bed. I took my time parking under her stare, knowing that she couldn't see me through the limo tinted windows. The moment my truck was parked, I shut off the engine and jumped out, running over to Gemma and wrapping her in my arms. "I've missed you so much, Gemma. I'm sorry it took me so long to get back." I confessed against her shoulder.

"Nikki, honey," Gemma wrapped her arms around me tightly, "What the hell took you so long? Opie's been out for four months." She swatted my arm as she pulled away, a forlorn smile on her face.

"I had to work things out with my company, pack all my shit up, put my house up for sale, buy a place here, and argue with my cousins... there was so much to do. I finally had everything ready to go when Opie told me about Abel. I came as fast as I could. The rest of my shit is still on the way." I answered her wearily.

"How did you know about Abel?" Gemma demanded.

"Donna. She understood why I couldn't be here so she kept me up to date on everything that she could. Where is everyone?" I wondered, finally realizing the lot was completely empty of Harleys.

"They're all out at the Devil's Tribe club. Come on, I need to talk to Luann about Tara."

"Got a background check, didn't you? I'll let you talk to Luann. I need to go clean up a bit and get some rest, got any empty rooms I can use for tonight?"

"Yeah, baby. Use Clay's room. I know for sure that one's clean." I kissed Gemma on the cheek as she handed me her key to Clay's room before walking back to my truck to get my bag from the back of the cab.

"Hey, no one touches this truck or this bike. They do and I'll have every single one who does on their knees, understood, Lowell?" I called out to the one mechanic I remembered.

"Yes, ma'am. It'll be safe." Lowell replied shakily. Once I knew my message was understood, I made my way into the clubhouse to the President's - Clay's - room.