Umbridge

The next day, I sat in Defense Against the Dark Arts class. Crabbe sat besides me while Goyle sat besides Draco. I leaned back in my chair and watched as a paper made bird flew around the room. The students giggled as it drifted across the class. Crabbe seemed to be enjoying it. I rolled my eyes, so immature. I kicked my feet up on the table and leaned back to get comfy. I smirked as the bird immediately burst into flames and landed on the Patil twins desk. The entire class grew quiet.

"Good morning, children." Professor Umbridge smiled from the back of the room. I felt my feet get yanked off of the desk and slammed on the ground in front of me. I hissed out in pain/ anger. All of the students turned their  heads in her direction. She wore all pink, as she had the night before.

"Ordinary Wizarding level examinations. O-W-Ls. More commonly known as owls." She spoke pointing her wand at the small chalk board that stood in the front of the room as she walked forwards. The words appeared in cursive on the board.

"Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe." She smiled as she pointed her wand to a stack of books and they began to disperse and land on each students desk.

"Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven. But you'll be pleased to know from now on you will be following a carefully structured ministry-approved course of Defense Against the Dark Arts." She smiled. I picked up the book in front of me and scoffed, this was below a first-year level. This must have been a joke. Hermione shot her hand into the air to ask a question.

"Yes."

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells." Hermione stated, wasn't even a question.

"Using spells? Well, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom." Umbridge laughed.

"We're not gonna use magic?" Ron asked in confusion. His voice had changed, it was deeper.

"You'll be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way." Umbridge explained.

"This is mad." Crabbe grumbled from besides me. I hushed him I wanted to hear who she would argue with next.

"What use is that? If we're attacked, it won't be risk-free." Harry snapped.

"Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class." Professor Umbridge hissed. She spun around and walked to her desk. Her kind facade was gone, maybe I was wrong. We might get along after all.

"It is the view of the ministry that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient to get you through your examinations. Which after all, is what school is all about." She smiled spinning around.

"And How is theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?" Harry argued.

"There is nothing out there, dear. Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourself?" Professor Umbridge asked.

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe, Lord Voldemort." Harry snapped with sarcasm. Professor Umbridge's smile faltered.

"What a joke." I whispered to Crabbe who had been laughing.

"Now, let me make this quite plain. You have been told that a certain dark wizard is at large once again. This is a lie." Professor Umbridge spoke walking towards Harry.

"It's not a lie. I saw him, I fought him." Harry shot back.

"Detention, Mr. Potter!" Umbridge yelled turning on her heel and walking to the front of the room.

"So according to you, Cedric Diggory dropped dead on his own accord?" Harry asked hastily.

"Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident." Umbridge cried out.

"It was murder! Voldemort killed him!" Harry seethed. The class watched as the two went back and forth arguing.

"Enough!" Umbridge screamed out standing in the front of the room. Everyone jumped at the sound of her angered voice.

"See me later, Mr. Potter. In my office." She stated more quietly this time. Then began to giggle.

Weeks passed and nothing much had happened at Hogwarts. Except for the fact that Draco had became a prefect. I on the other hand was just a regular fifth year. I hadn't talked to anyone except Pansy and Crabbe. Not even Draco, he was too busy for me at the moment with his new title. However, Professor Umbridge and Professor McGonagall had gotten into a argument I heard. Umbridge and the Ministry began a reformation of the school. She wanted to redo everything. She created hundred of rules and insulted many Professors. She banned everything from Weasley products to handholding. I thought it was madness, but I wouldn't say that to anyone.

"Bella come on!" Blaise shouted running through the common room where I sat in my favorite leather couch.

"What is it?" I hissed in annoyance. I had been reading one of my spell books all afternoon.

"I think one of the Professor's is getting fired, publicly." Blaise informed as he grabbed my hand and yanked me off the couch. The two of us ran through the halls, I saw hundreds of other students doing the same. We all ended up in the courtyard. In the center stood Professor Trelawney. She taught Divinations, I never took that class. But I knew a lot of people loved her. She stood next to four trunks full of her belongings on the verge of tears. As Professor Umbridge stood before her looking unbothered. All of the students gathered around in silence or mumbled to themselves.

"Sixteen years, I've lived and taught here. Hogwarts, is my home. You can't do this." Trelawney sobbed tripping over her belongings. My heart went out to the poor women, but the rest of me laughed.

"Actually, I can." Umbridge smirked holding up a contract that gave her permission to do pretty much whatever she wanted with the school. I watched as McGonagall ran out from the crowd to comfort Trelawney. The two hugged as Trelawney cried her whole heart out

"Something you'd like to say, dear?" Professor Umbridge smirked innocently at McGonagall.

"Oh, there are several things I would like to say." McGonagall hissed as she held Trelawney. Suddenly, the double doors to the school busted open. To reveal Headmaster Dumbledore, who had been hidden up in his office for the last several weeks. He approached the three women quickly.

"Professor McGonagall, might I ask you to escort Sybil back inside?" He asked controlling the anger I knew he had.

"Dumbledore, may I remind you that under the terms of Educational Decree Number twenty-three. As enacted by the Minister-" she began but was cut off by Dumbledore.

"You have the right to dismiss my teachers. You do not, however have the authority to banish them from the grounds. That power remains with the Headmaster." He shot back.

"For now." She smiled evilly.

"Don't you all have studying to do?" Dumbledore barked, talking to the entire school of students that surrounded. We disbanded and headed back to wherever we had came from.