Potions

The next day I sat in my Potions class between Draco and Blaise. The new teacher, Professor Slughorn smiled kindly at all of us. He seemed very excited about his class and the things he was teaching. I wished I could find something that I was passionate about just as he is with Potions.

"Attention to detail in preparation is the prerequisite of all planning." He lectured. I watched as the door flew open and in walked Harry and an annoyed Ron behind him.

"Ah! Harry my boy. I was beginning to worry. We've brought someone with us I see." Slughorn smiled at the boys. It was extremely bewildering that this man used to be the Head of Slytherin.

"Ron Weasley, sir." Ron smiled politely.

"But I'm dead awful at Potions, a menace, actually. So I'm probably just gonna go." Ron stated trying to walk away. I smirked as Harry grabbed him and spun him around to still be facing the class along with Slughorn.

"Nonsense, we'll sort you out. Any friend of Harry's is a friend of mine. Get your books out." Slughorn smiled.

"Sorry sir, I haven't actually got my books yet, and nor has Ron." Harry stated looking between Ron and Slughorn.

"Not to worry, get what you want from the cupboard." Slughorn smiled pointing to a old closest.

"Now, as I was saying. I prepared some concoctions this morning. Any ideas what these might be?" Slughorn asked he class walking up to a few steaming cauldrons. Hermione shot her hand up into the air too quick for my eyes to even fully see.

"Yes, Miss.." Slughorn acknowledged not knowing her name.

"Granger, sir." Hermione corrected as she walked up to the three cauldrons. She walked to the first one and smelt it before looking up to Slughorn.

"That one there is Veritaserum, it's a truth-telling serum." She stated before walking to the next one.

"And that one would be Polyjuice Potion. It allows you to transfigure into someone else. Human of course. As well as terribly tricky to make." She explained before walking to the next one.

"And this one, Amortenia. The most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumored to smell differently to each person, according to what attracts them. For example I smell: freshly mowed grass, and new parchment..... and spearmint toothpaste." She spoke softly as if thinking something over.

"Some of us don't need a potion to find love, unlike Granger." I smirked quietly to Blaise, I knew she could hear me by the way she straightened up. I then wrapped my arms around the side of Draco, who looked even more emotionless then he had the last day. He didn't even flutter as I held him. I would surely ask him about this later.

"Now, Amortentia doesn't create actual love. That would be impossible. But it does cause a powerful infatuation or obsession. And for that reason it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room." Professor Slughorn explained. I watched as almost all the girls in the room leaned forwards trying to gain as much knowledge as they could about the potion. Pansy was in this group as well, it slightly frightened me. I smirked as the girls fell back in disappointment due to Slughorn placing a lid on the cauldron.

"Sir, you haven't told us what's in that one." A Gryffindor girl named Katie acknowledged gesturing to a small vile of a potion.

"Oh yes, what you see before you ladies and gentlemen. Is a curious little potion known as Felix Felicis. But it is more commonly referred to as-" Slughorn explained before getting cut off by no other then Granger.