Chapter 9 - Threat

It's a critical time. Panic attacks immediately but Jimin has no time to give it attention. Even one second is completely crucial and he knows it really well. His heart beats fast in fear but he doesn't let panic control his brain. He right away takes his phone and makes an emergency call. He tells the situation through the phone as he pulls Seulgi closer into his embrace. He asks them to locate coordinate and sends air medical service as the cruise still sails and he needs to evacuate her to the nearest hospital as soon as possible. Thereafter he calls her brother as he looks at her pale face. Once he talks, his voice trembles and he sounds terribly scared.

"Hyung, Seulgi fainted, we are at the side deck"

One line of sentence causes Minjae's heart breaks into pieces. He doesn't need to think, he immediately runs to their place. His wife calls out but he has no time to explain. In seconds, he gets to the side deck and he halts there. He sees Seulgi inside Jimin's embrace, motionless and lifeless. He whispers his sister's name as he kneels down beside Jimin. He asks for explanation and Jimin responds with a detail chronology. He hears it and he believes it was anaphylaxis1 reaction because Seulgi once had it when she was in highschool.

"Lay her flat on the floor" Minjae orders Jimin.

Jimin follows the instruction as he sees Minjae takes off his suit and uses it as blanket for Seulgi. Later on, Minjae asks him to do the same and he obeys. Minjae tells him that Seulgi possibly experience an allergic reaction and what they just did is helping her to prevent shock. Minjae assures him that everything will be alright but it doesn't erase his worry away. Minjae keeps convincing him and in the middle of it, Joohyun appears and gasps when she witnesses it.

"Seulgi-ya!---" Joohyun shouts "---what happened?" She asks.

"Can you find Seulgi's clutch?" Minjae speaks as he has no time to tell her.

Joohyun nods. In her heels, she runs fast though she doesn't know what exactly is happening but all she believes, it's between life and death. When she has Seulgi's clutch with her, she rushes back to the side deck and gives it to her husband. She watches him search the clutch desperately but unluckily he doesn't find her EpiPen2 there. She usually brings it everywhere since the doctor prescribed it for her but unfortunately it doesn't fit in her clutch and she just decides to leave it home.

"Seulgi-ya, hang on" Minjae speaks into Seulgi's ear, hoping she could hear.

A minute later, the sound of helicopter's blade breaks the air and strong wind follows it. The air ambulance lands and medical staffs immediately check Seulgi's condition. Minjae tells about the symptoms and her medical history. It helps the medical staffs to diagnose it as a severe allergic reaction and they give her an adrenaline injection right away. After that, they bring Seulgi to the chopper and evacuate her to Seoul University hospital. Following its flight, Minjae calls dr. Moon, a senior consultant there, and asks him a favor to look after her until he arrives there. He wastes no time and straightly calls Joohyun's cousin who has pilot license to help and lend him his helicopter. Her cousin doesn't even ask why or what, he just agrees and tells them to wait there. Now, lastly, all they can do is waiting and praying.

1Anaphylaxis – a severe allergic reaction.

2EpiPen – epinephrine auto-injector, used to open airways and raise blood pressure.

***

Everything feels unreal at first. Even after Jimin sits inside the chopper and flies to the hospital, it is still confusing. Then everything hits him right in his heart when he sits outside the emergency room alone, waiting for Seulgi. Sigh leaves his lips as he closes his eyes. He looks scared and depressed. His brain stops working and it's really hard for him to think clearly. He worries a lot until it hurts him. He holds back his tears that already build up on his eyes and he knows he is near to break down. He tries to think positively and reassure his own self that everything will be alright but it doesn't help at all. He is devastated.