Chapter 14 - Ex

An antique standing clock chimes as it strikes the midnight hour. Under the dim light, Hyorin sits on stool chair and has her fourth shot glass of vodka. Life stresses her so much these days. She tries to play it cool but fear keeps following her everywhere. She wants to deny but she needs to be honest to herself and admit that she feels terrified because of her stepson. Lately, she carefully watches her attitude and tries hard to avoid any friction with him. She hates it but she decides to stay low and cause no conflict since it's the only way to hide her dirty secret from her own son, Junhoe. Afterall, this is not the first time. She encountered many defeats before and she survived. She believes, this time, she will get through everything as well.

Hyorin is half sober but she still hears it when someone approaches her. She doesn't need to look yet she knows it's her husband. She just sighs and turns to see him. Junjin just returns from his so called 'urgent work' on weekend and now he proceeds to sit on a stool chair beside her. She says nothing and just takes in her liquor when she smells soft roses scent. It's new, it means he has new woman. She just ignores him, but her eyes catches him when he puts an octagon glass box on the bar table. She glances and sees diamond ring inside. There is always a little gift after an affair and it's not new.

"I'm tired, I'll rest first" Just like that, her husband leaves her alone again.

It's bitter and Hyorin just scoffs painfully. Years ago, she found out about her husband's affair through a text message. It was a raging storm but surprisingly she was able to stand tall. Yes, it hurted her but she realized, it was the price she needed to pay for her throne. She kept her mouth shut and pretended like nothing happened because in the end of the day, she was the one who wore the crown. Since then, she decided to kill her love and grew an obsession toward the family's wealth instead.

It's unspoken, but both know, they are each other's support system. They are stronger together. It's true that Junjin cheats on Hyorin so many times, but eventually he keeps crawling back to her embrace because she is the one who helps him until he gets where he is now. In the other hand, it's a privileged for her to have him around. Thank to him, she has money and power to make a lot of people under her feet. She is glorified by society because she has his last name. It's a mutual benefit.

Right now, she doesn't care anymore if her husband keeps having affairs or not. It doesn't affect her anymore. One thing, she just needs him to have it secretly and never get caught by media because it surely will put his position as chairman in danger. She wants him to be more careful as it's more dangerous now. The next successor tails behind him and one scandal will make him lose his position. If so, her world will crumble as she will worth nothing to the society and she once again will be a middle class rich people. She feels insecure.

***

Jimin returns to his bedroom and locks himself there. He refuses to join his grandmother to meet Sojung and chooses to rest. He closes his eyes as he tries to fall asleep but he is too excited right now because he knows Seulgi is inside the room beside. He really wants to disturb her from her rest but at the same time he has no heart to do so. He is in a dilemma when all of sudden he hears a knock on the door. He immediately jumps out of the bed and rushes to the door as he believes it must be her behind that door. Without thinking, he opens it and all his excitement disappears in flash.

"Hi"

This is not what he thinks of. It's not his Seulgi, but it's Sojung. He is not in a mood to meet his arrogant ex now. Truthfully he regrets his decision but just sighs lowly. He sees her smile but all he thinks about is how Seulgi's smile is prettier. Thereafter, he just stares with his straight face as he immediately tries to close and lock his door. Of course it's predictable. She reflexively stops his action and slips her body in. She manages to stand too close to him and brings her face closer to whisper on his ear.