Chapter 32 - Farewell

The dawn touches Maldives. It's still cold and dark outside but Seulgi is already wide awake though she has a long night with Jimin. A smile appears on her face as she looks up and stares at him. He is still deep asleep and she listens to his low breathing. She reaches out her hand and caresses his cheek gently before she snuggles closer and stays inside his embrace. After a while, she decides to leave the bed. Carefully she pulls herself away from him then immediately picks up her night gown on the floor and wears it. She walks to the small kitchen and makes a cup of tea. Then, she brings the warm cup with her to the deck and on her way she also grabs her phone too. This is the first time she gets her phone on hand since she first arrived here.

Right after Seulgi steps out, the wind welcomes as it blows her hair softly. Though it's cold, she still proceeds to the nearest chaise and sits there. It's quiet and she loves it how there is only the sound of wave. Vague and fuzzy. She sips her tea as she has her eyes on the horizon that slowly splits in two. She puts down her cup and takes her phone to capture the beautiful scenery. A hazy sunrise greets Maldives in a very stunning way. Vivid orange and pink beam scatter and turn dawn into morning. She is speechless as she witnesses the grandeur. A couple more pictures and she smiles as she feels satisfied with the come out. She is going to show it to Jimin and she knows already that he is going to love it more than she does. She is about to put down her phone and enjoy the view but all of sudden it rings as there is an incoming call from grandma. She furrows her eyebrows confusedly as her heart starts to beat faster. This is not a good sign. Somehow, in some way, she feels that something bad is happening and she is not wrong as she finds out once she answers the call.

"Dear, I know it's still early morning in Maldives, I'm sorry that I disturb you, but it's an urgent matter" Grandma begins and there is a slight panic on her tone.

"It's okay, what's happening?" Seulgi talks then immediately bites her lips as she waits for the response. Nerve-wrecking.

Grandma opens up with a heavy sigh but already makes her mind to tell everything clearly. She speaks up about what happened last night in Seoul. An original file case of Jimin's mother accident from 1999 was uploaded online and accessible for public by Jimin's father with an approval from grandma. It of course caused a mess and frenzy as everything was revealed in a blink of an eye. JJ company's stock was affected and suffered damage though thankfully it could be recovered. Every name that was written on document, start from cops to detectives to prosecutors and judges, all were trending and getting a lot of hate and mockery. One bye one came up with a public apology and some even officially announced retirement and withdrawal. The criticism was out of control but it was worse for Hyorin as she was the brain of crime. The truth finally came to light and the public were aware that Jimin's mother died not because of an accident but a premeditated murder. The public was angry and mad with the reality that Hyorin's criminal statute of limitation was already expired last year. Backlashes like cursing and swearing were never enough and in the end the public signed a petition to reinvestigate and bring the case to court.

Seulgi suddenly feels a weight on her shoulder. Truthfully she wants to ask and to know more but her lips and tongue are numb. One, two, three seconds, she is in a complete silent. Then, there, grandma decides to continue and reveal her darkest secret. Grandma forthrightly tells that she was not only involved in destroying and sabotaging evidences, but also in hiding and covering that crime. She is deeply in fault and guilty. All this time she keeps it from Jimin and selfishly lives her life receiving her grandson's love and respect. Truly, she is ashamed and regretful. Speechless. Seulgi already is aware of the truth but never to this depth. She is not going to lie, she is in a great shock. This truth is too much to take in. It's ugly and hurtful. Her heart suffers, cracks and shatters into pieces. There is a long quiet moment before grandma chooses to speak. Grandma asks Seulgi to call her when Jimin is awake. This time, grandma wants to be the one who breaks the news to him directly. At last, before grandma hangs up, she asks Seulgi to stay by his side and hug him because he is going to need that the most.