seventy-four

No amount of words, encouragement, or kind gestures could alter his mood. No, Yoongi was almost determined to remain miserable, but since he couldn't bring himself to blame Jimin, he had to suffer all this bottled up rage without being able to target it at any certain individual. And it was a terrible feeling. But he knew he would have to deal with it.

At exactly 5:15 PM, Yoongi stood outside the gate to his Aunt Sunggi's house--quite a fine house, it was, which was to be expected of such a wealthy, classy, and elegant woman. Yoongi himself never understood the need for such extravagant possessions, but at least, he thought, at least Min Sunggi wasn't the type to brag about her big house, big cars, and big rings. She was quite modest in terms of her success and where it had gotten her. For that, Yoongi respected her.

Struggling to withhold a sigh, Yoongi pressed the bell on the small white monitor attached to the metal gate. And he waited. Not long, however, as it seemed his aunt had been waiting for him. Seconds later the gates slowly began to open inward, and Yoongi stood his ground patiently as Sunggi proudly exited her home, a brilliant smile on her young-looking face, shoulder-length black hair matching the color of her three-inch heels, while the rose-gold shade of her lipstick matched her dress, which Yoongi could easily identify as one of her own designs. As always, she looked absolutely stunning.

"And don't you just look charming this evening, Yoongi?"

She opened her arms wide to him and captured her beloved nephew in a brief yet loving embrace. When she pulled away, Sunggi placed her hand on Yoongi's cheek and broadened her smile, and somehow, somehow Yoongi felt compelled to smile back, and in a soft voice he uttered, "You look lovely as well, Auntie."

"Oh, you flatter me, sweetheart." She covered her mouth and breathed a quiet laugh. "Well, enough of the small talk, Yoongi dear, I'll call the car around and we can be on our way. Oh, and do look forward to it, I've had my best planners take part in the event just as always. And the food, the food, my sweet nephew, I promise it will be to die for."

Oh, I'll want to die alright. But I don't think the food will have anything to do with it.

"Of course, Auntie. Of course."

*

*

6:03 PM

It was the same exact scene as last year.

The spotless silver bugatti that all the guests recognized pulled in front of the grand hall, where hundreds of people were anticipating the host's arrival. Quite a large handful of them were gathered outside the door with their phones and cameras ready, eagerly awaiting and watching as the bugatti's driver exited car and opened the door for the beautiful Miss Min Sunggi to step out. Without hesitation the cameras began flashing, and Sunggi laughed heartily at her friends who intentionally pulled the most ridiculous poses while taking her picture. Then came Yoongi, reluctant Min Yoongi who slid out of the vehicle after her, but much more slowly, as he needed to brace himself for the undesirable attention that followed. These people knew quite well who he was at this point. With his face having been on one if not several modeling magazine covers, and his presence being at nearly every one of his aunt's "little parties," and not to mention how frequently she flaunted him to her friends and fans alike, it was unlikely any of tonight's guests had the question in mind, who is that man?

Yoongi wished that weren't the case. But alas, by now he had accepted it. And he truly did love his dear aunt, so he could and would never hold a grudge against her.

"Yoongi, smile for me once, will you?"

"I'd rather not, Hyunshik," Yoongi said calmly to one of the photographers, who proceeded to take a dozen pictures the second Yoongi mistakenly looked into the camera.