I love my girlfriend, right?

Joey POV

I woke up in the middle of a fancy hallway. 'Oh yeah. Hahaha, kaibas gay. Ouch. My head hurts.' I checked my watch and saw it was 6 am. 'Well, better get home. Mai is probably still there. Where's my phone?' I looked around but couldn't find it on the floor and then I realized it was still on Kaibas dresser. 'Fuck, well, I need it. Rise and shine asshole.' I said to myself as I kicked his bedroom door open and made as much noise as possible.

"Just getting my phone, prick." I grabbed my phone and was out the door before a coffee cup whizzed by my head and smashed into the wall. "That wasn't very nice, Kaiba!" I yelled as I kept walking away from his bedroom and headed home.

I called a taxi and got home maybe 20 minutes later and lucky me, Mai was still there. As the elevator climbed to my penthouse, I stripped off my, well, Kaibas pants and my shirt. Sneaking into my bedroom, I saw Mai. She was so pretty even after a night of crying. I slid into bed next to her and wrapped my arms around her. I kissed her forehead as she started to stir. "Good morning beautiful, I'm sorry about last night." I tried to apologize but I knew I was in deep for last night. Mai mumbled something that sounded like 'I love you' and rolled over. 'Well. Maybe I'm not in trouble.' I fell asleep holding on to Mai.

I woke up a few hours later and was in bed alone, not a huge surprise. I saw that there was a bottle of water and four aspirins on my night stand.
'What a doll. I should see if she's still here.'. I swallowed the medicine and water, walked out to my living room. "Mai? Ya here?" I called. No answer.
'Well shit.' She's gone.

"She's doing something with Téa." Ah. Serenity. "You really upset her last night."

"Serenity, it's not the time to annoy me okay? I'm hung over and still exhausted. And where did you go last night?" I asked accusingly as I poured myself some coffee.

"Oh. I Uh, well I stayed at Mokubas, I thought you did too?" Serenity said tenderly. " I didn't see you this morning when I woke up so Mokuba had a car drop me off. Before you start freaking out, we are just friends. Nothing happened." She finished.

"What?" I asked, "Wait, did you say that you spent the night with Mokuba?"

"Yes. Joey! I did! Nothing happened and even if it did, we are both grown up enough! It is also NONE of your business. I happen to like Mokie. Now I'm going to go take a shower, so if you're going to have some type of breakdown. do it after I'm already in there."  Serenity finished, out of breath.

'What the fuck?'
I tried to take in the entire situation I had in front of me. One, getting kissed. Two, having a huge argument with my girlfriend. Three, my little sister spending the night, with the little brother of the guy, who I fucking hate. I didn't feel like coming up with a fourth reason. 

I got dressed in some clean clothes and decided I needed to do something for Mai. I rode the elevator down to the subbasement garage and grabbed my motorcycle. I grabbed my jacket and my helmet and then had a better idea, I wouldn't be able to get half of the stuff I wanted to get for her today.  I took the car instead, I had saved up and had a 1970 Plymouth Road Runner imported from the states. I decided to go to Macy's because it was a girly store. Next I went to that Sephora store. I hit a few more places and ended up spending around $2,000.  I got a burger and debated calling Mai. I needed to apologize. I had to call her.

Like before, she answered on the first few rings. "Yes?" snapped Mai.

"Uh, hey sweetie, where are you?" I asked. I knew she was going to rip my head off but I had to get it behind me.

"I'm busy Joseph. And I'm also not happy." She said with an obvious irritation in her voice.

"Look, we gotta talk. It's important. Can you come over? Please? Pretty please?" I didn't want to beg but I would. "Mai?" I could still hear her breathing on the phone so I knew she was still there.

"Okay. I'm on my way." Mai answered finally.

I got home and had help from the doorman carrying all of the bags up to my floor. Serenity wasn't there, she left a note.

"Joey, I'm with Mokuba. I'll see you later. Love Serenity." 'Well, that figures.' Then I heard the elevator ding. 'There's Mai.'

I was sitting on my balcony smoking a cigarette. I knew she wasn't happy but I hoped that the flowers & presents would soften the blow.

"Hey Joey." She said flatly.

"Hey Mai, thanks for coming over. I was such a jerk last night. I feel bad." I said sheepishly looking at her.

"Well," she sat down next to me and continued, "I see the flowers, so I know you feel bad. Plus I talked to Serenity."

"You what?  She's not even here, when did you talk to her and when did you leave? When I got here this morning you were here, but when I woke up you were gone." I looked at her and said, " you're so beautiful Mai. I don't deserve you."

"Joey, I don't-" Mai started to talk but I needed her to hear me.

"I love you. And  I'm telling you because I don't say it. I think it but I don't say it enough. I love you and I am scared to death to lose you. And I went a little overboard with an apology present." I finished all in one breath. "Please don't go anywhere."

I must've shocked her because she fell off the patio chair. "Mai! Are you okay?!" I reached down to pick her up. "What, are you, are you laughing?" 'What the hell, is- is she laughing?' I can't believe this. " why are you laughing?" I pulled her up and into my lap and leaned her into me. "Mai? I love you." I kissed her hair and squeezed her tight.

We sat there together for a few minutes. Mai leaned against me and I listened to her breathing. I was so happy. "Mai, I got you some presents. Come on let's go look," I said as I lifted her and carried her inside to my bedroom. My bed was covered in shopping bags. I felt her squirm with excitement and set her down. She ran to the bed and started emptying bags. It was like a little kid on Christmas. She was almost to the present I really want her to see, I got her new motorcycle jacket for when we go riding together. She pulled it out of the bag and was speechless.
"It's Michael Kors, and I got you some new perfume from Macy's. There's some more stuff in there too. I saw a backpack that I thought you might like too, so I got that and two different purses." I said, leaning back in a desk chair I had in my bedroom while she took everything in. Mai was really quiet for a few minutes so I decided I should give her some time.

Standing and leaving my bedroom I said, "I'm gonna go pick up a pizza, I'll be back soon."

"Okay, Joey?" Mai called, "I love you."

I smiled and yelled "I LOVE YA TOO!!" as I walked to the elevator.
———
We had a great night together, we ate pizza, showered and cuddled. I was happy.