Chapter 3

"When is Dr. Keller getting in?" I lean against the counter; I had to take a short break away from everything locked in the restroom. My mental fatigue paired with the men in leather had my mind terrorizing itself. I allowed myself to succumb to old habits and pulled out recordings my family made for me. Now, I feel like an idiot for acting like a child; those men did nothing to harm me. Dorothy looks up from the patient files she had been inspecting.

"Dr. Keller called in earlier, his car was acting up again, his wife is giving him a ride; it shouldn't be too much longer now." My supervisor already confirmed my suspicions, I can't leave until my replacement is in. Why can't Dr. Keller already be here? That would make too much sense. I'm already on overtime and want no need to go home.

"Do you know if Mr. Woods has awoken yet? I needed to go over his aftercare with him." An evaluation has already been made for him, I might as well go over his aftercare while I wait for Dr. Keller to show up.

"I think he is waking up as we speak; I know he still has visitors, two strapping young men." She giggles with a slight blush. Dorothy is a sweet older woman; her husband is a retired firefighter. They're such a delightful couple. My eyes glance up at the clock, seeing an hour has passed for my rounds. I grab Mr. Woods' patient files; I want to get this last meeting over with, hopefully without another mental glitch.

"Well, then I guess I need to have a chat with them." She grins at me, a twinkle in her eyes.

"You are one lucky girl." She gives me a wink; she doesn't even know half of it. I don't want to give her too many ideas. Waving at her, I move to head into his room, more than ready to get this night over with. I can't wait for Dr. Keller to get in. I push the mobile computer to his room, I give a soft knock and wait to be called in.

"Come in." The harsh gruff voice calls out; my stomach quivers for a moment and I ignore it. I can't be biased. I'm not like them; they aren't like them. If I assume everyone is like my captors, I'm like them, a judgemental, cruel manipulator; everyone has their own chance to prove their innocence, or guilt. Fast paced footsteps scurry towards me as I open the door to the room. Derrick makes his way towards the partially open door.

"I'm here to help. You're one hard person to track down." He chuckles as he slips into the room to aid in postoperative care.

"I wasn't trying to hide, I promise." Walking over to the edge of the bed I move the blankets down finding the barcode on the wrist band. I scan it; his information pops up, charts and other recorded information, medicines. Derrick gets to work checking saline drips and his stats.

"Do you think he needs another saline bag?" I ask Derrick, watching as his eyes dart back to the bag and he stares at it, he finally gives a nod.

"Yes, I'll get that now." He slips past me with a grin. I turn my attention back towards the men, the behemoth from before standing as if to make a point. I offer a tired, hesitant smile and push back the short hairs that have escaped my braid.

"Will one of you be able to help look after Mr. Woods once he's discharged?" I look between the two, the one standing lets out a sigh and forces his hand through his hair. I'm going to guess Mr. Woods is their President; I'm finally given a tired nod.

"Yeah, we'll be around to make sure he takes care of shit." I nod, not sure if I believe that Mr. Woods will take care of such. I'm sure he's probably more stubborn than an ox. I doubt dealing with wound aftercare is going to be on his mind at all.

"Alright, well, the first thing I would recommend is that you get in contact with his primary care doctor for follow-up visits. Ideally, I would like for him to stay for a few days, make sure he doesn't reopen any of the stitching." The man stares at me before he arches a thick brow. I didn't figure it was going to happen. I heave a sigh and turn to stare at the computer before I grab the printed aftercare documents.