Chapter 11

"Hide?" My eyes dart to his and I wince before I heave out a sigh. I could've chosen my words better as I stare into the fireplace; I debate on how to explain.

"I was a child who grew up unconventionally. People had only hurt me; I didn't want to see the world and what it could do to me." At that age, all I had known was pain; how cruel strangers could be. Hiding was all I wanted; the following days in the hospital, I overheard nurses talk about the scars. Speculate about the things that had happened to me. I still hear the young nurses' snide remarks about the brutal marks. 'She would be so pretty if it wasn't for those scars.' I remember looking down, seeing those scars, and I cried.

I had scars wrapped around my wrist; the slight marks from rope burns still blistering red. How much damage had they done to me? How much of my life had they taken away? I had heard a lot of the medical staff talk about the scars; how harsh and ugly they looked. If the people trying to help me were saying such things when they thought I couldn't hear. What would the rest of the world say? I had issues. The scar on my face from having my jaw wired shut stood out harshly.

I hated mirrors; all I could see when I looked into one were the words that so many had said to me. Ugly, pathetic, whore, useless, slow; the list could go on and on and on. "What did they do?" My eyes itch with fresh tears as I stare into the fire.

"A better question would be what didn't they do." I shake my head slowly before I drop my gaze to stare at the warm hand that rests on my shin; covering an oddly shaped scar. HIs finger smoothes across the surface, tracing it.

"How did you end up with them?" I'm mesmerized by his tan, calloused hand as it lazily traces the pale skin.

"My brothers and I went over to a playdate at a family's house. We were playing a game when a man came up asking if I had seen a puppy. I fell for the easiest trick in the book." I should've known better. I fight tears as I scoff and rub my face; I regret that day more than anything. My stupidity put me in the situation, point blank. There's nothing else to explain about it.

"Brothers?"

"Twins, Jamie and Even." Saying their names has a twinge of heartache that clenches my heart. There's not a day that goes by that I don't miss them.

"You have a big family." I look at him, seeing a slight smile on his face as I shake my head.

"My parents passed away from a drunk driver; Jamie and Even were military, they never made it back home." I try to keep it to the facts, talking about them only ever leads me to crying. Why did I have to lose them? Of course; it isn't always tears of sadness. He clears his throat, nodding in answer.

"It sucks losing a parent." Nodding, I swallow hard; it sucks losing anyone in your family. We both get lost in our thoughts as we sit in silence, listening to the fire crackle. Axel clears his throat, making me turn my head to look at him. "I have to know what happened with the Night Wolves, Angel." I shake my head, feeling my throat tighten.

"No, I don't want to talk about it." Axel looks at me, sitting up he rests his elbows on his knees looking at me with such tenderness.

"Angel, I'm sorry, but I have to know. It's for the club's safety. What we talk about won't be brought up again; you have my word." I stare at him as my eyes water, I shake my head pitifully, I don't want to share more of my fucked up tale with him. That's a demon no one needs to know.

"You don't want to know Axel, trust me. They are evil people who enjoy doing the unthinkable." Shaking my head sadly, telling him would expose my terrors even more. I can't stand the thought of doing that; the shame. The look of pity I'll receive.