Chapter 26

I never knew how calming sitting in the dark could be. Most of my life, I've spent in fear of the calming beast, retreated from its silent comfort. After a certain point, my thoughts screeched to a halt; I was met with silence. I couldn't over think the 'what ifs'. Couldn't continue to draw out the demons that haunted my mind; they all went silent, echoed back my own exhaustion. I wonder if they tire of me like I tire of them? Maybe they like me because they can fester in the darkest recesses of my mind, imagination.

Hours passed, whittled down by the moon changing position; shifting towards the earth elegantly. Its silver shine decorated the landscape with its grace; I sat, stared at the soft shadows of the land. Listened to the music that rattled the bar and watched as patrons stumbled into cabs waiting for them. Axel had to hunt me down late into the night; he startled me when he opened the door to the clinic; he looked angelic with the moonlight casting behind him. His keys jingled together, and I about had a panic attack; I was frozen in place.

Then he spoke up, called my name gently as he walked in with a sigh. My heart jump started when he sat down next to me. He knew. Like always, I'm sure he understood my need for silence, for his silent support. He claimed me. The thought makes me smile; a man like him chasing after me. Of all people, he claimed me; I don't understand it, I can't. Why would he waste his time with me? I'm a troubled woman with a past that continues to stalk her vehemently. What does he see in me?

I open my eyes and stare at the white ceiling. Surprised to have woken up before Axel, by this time he's normally already showered and dressed. His arms are secured around my waist, his head resting on my stomach, soft snores slip past his lips. My eyes trail over to the clock and see the time; it's nearly seven in the morning. That would explain it. Axel always wakes up at seven sharp. He still has fifteen minutes before work calls him. I wiggle my arm out from the blankets captivity and reach for the small device.

His small grunt makes me freeze as I clutch his phone tightly. Please don't wake up. Moments pass before I feel him shift, his arms tighten before he rubs his stubbled jaw across the exposed skin on my belly. The urge to laugh makes me bite my lip; I thread my fingers into his hair and he stills. Thank the lord. I've noticed I'm very ticklish, much to my dismay; Axel loves to use that to his advantage. With Axel still and no longer on the verge of waking up, I bring his phone into view and unlock it.

It takes a moment to find his alarm and shut it off; making a quick decision, I text Snake, his second in command that's Axel is going to be down later than normal. Snake is Snake and sends back a smartass reply, 'Put him in a good mood before you send him out; I'm tired of his bitching.' I smile at the comment; everyone here isn't afraid to throw out sexual innuendos. Not something I was used to. It took me some time to be comfortable with them all. Logically, I know that the members of Hell's Reapers MC aren't like the members of the Night Wolves.

I'll admit that there have been moments where I hear keys jingle together and I freeze; my joints lock up as my heart slams into my chest. It sucks every time my heart jumps into my throat. I feel like I'm transported back in time. Axel's phone vibrates in my hand and I stare at the random number, silencing the call before I set it back on the nightstand. Hopefully that wasn't important. I don't care, Axel needs his rest; these past few weeks have been hell on him, especially. I'm the reason for the bags under his eyes.

Sun spills in through the partially open blinds, stripping the ceiling beautifully. It's golden warmth covers my skin smoothly; it strips across Axel deliciously. His birthday is coming soon. Axel deserves the best; he's already settled for me, I want to get him something that truly fits him. What does he like? Like any badass man, he enjoys anything that revolves around bikes, guns, weapons, sports, and women of course. He's shown me true happiness here; I want it to be something special to him, something that is meaningful.