Chapter 24

As I sit on Axel's lap, he sits in silence, I've stunned him into silence, or maybe confusion. I'm an idiot. My mind dredges up the day the system was installed, I was so terrified of the techs, my mother had to take me out. A nice and relaxing day out at the park; she had a pug she was training. It was the first time in months I had let her take me out. After seeing a rowdy football game that led straight into an intense fight. It terrified me, especially after I saw a man bleeding heavily from his nose.

How does someone forget they have a security system? After it was installed, I never thought about it; I felt safer; things stopped moving, they wouldn't disappear as much. More often than not it was just my brothers being crazy, playing jokes on the household. After I saw the video, I felt bad; they just wanted me to feel included in their jokes. I open a web browser as the name of the company blinks like a neon sign in my head. Safe and Secure; sleeping like a baby. The cheesy motto appealed to my childish mind, appealed to my crazed imagination.

"Baby G, I still don't understand what the hell you're on about." Axel says, trying to garner my attention; my stomach churns as anxiety makes it bottom out. Will he hate me? This is such a simple mistake, one that may cost someone their life. My fingers stab at the keys angrily, only making mistakes; this is a piss poor way to take out my frustrations. Scratchy eyes and scratchy throat, I want to scream. I'm impatient as I drag in a deep breath of air; Axel's hand touches my back gently.

I feel hysterical at this point; I strain to find the logo, the familiar bright yellow sun, with a black cradle shadowed. "I'm an idiot." I answer in a tight strained voice; I have to make this right. I scroll down and find the link, I curse the slow internet as the page loads, the small blue circle taunts me.

"Do you care to explain some?" Not really. If I had it my way; I'd never talk of this stupidity again, I'd much rather bury it.

"I'm just stupid, ok?" I slouch and try to hide in my own shame; if a hole opened up and ate me, I wouldn't complain. Not right now; my idiocy doesn't cease. As if the universe enjoys my suffering, there's a knock on the door before it's shoved open to expose Digger.

"Hey Axel, is she alright? She came flying by like her ass was on fire; didn't even say hi to me." Digger fakes a pout as he steps in through the open door, letting it fall closed behind him. The latch sneaks into place; the sound reverberates in my head like a drum, a death sentence. Too much? Maybe not a death sentence; at the very least, it's embarrassing. Who can I blame? Me, myself and I.

"I'm not sure; are you alright, Doll? What has gotten into you?" My mouth slams shut, an invisible zipper seals my lips; if only I had a lock and key that would work for that. I want to snort at the thought; that would be great.

"I can't say you pissed her off, she's using you as a chair. Have you not been pleasing her in the room?" Digger questions and pokes fun at Axel, I glare at the man. I hate that I want to laugh. He has a unique sense of humor, almost as unique as Snake's; they are the three musketeers. I can't lie, they all fit each other beautifully; a well-oiled, entertaining machine. That's an understatement. A sharp pinch is delivered to my side and I jump a shocked squeal slips out as I turn to glare at him, frustrated with everything. "What the hell was that for?"

Axel arches a brow, the silver eyebrow bar glints in the light as he gives me 'the look'; the one that says start talking - quickly. I roll my eyes to glare at the screen; the webpage has popped up. Pay attention. The cursor moves and I click on the member login; my mind draws a blank for a moment. Crap. One thing I can say about my parents is that they were predictable; they never cared to remember loads of passwords or logins. Now, it's a roll of the dice to figure it out. "Baby G, if you don't tell me soon, I'm going to bend you over my knee, audience or no audience."