Chapter 28

We leave the restaurant and I offer a wave towards Pops; the man offers a warm smile and wave before we leave. Axel chuckles, wrapping his arm around my waist. "He likes you." I laugh and shake my head; for the first time in weeks, it doesn't feel like my shoulders are weighed down by the weight of the world. It's been a nice change, one that I really needed.

"I like him too; he's a sweet man. You're lucky to have him." I glance up at Axel, watching as his eyes glitter, the side of his mouth quirks up.

"Yeah, I am lucky to have him. Don't worry, I know he's going to be taking you under his wing. He's just as bad as my grandmother, always pestering me to have a grandbaby or three." I laugh at him and shake my head; Axel's children will be trouble-makers, I can feel it in my bones. Silently I dream that maybe one day, we will have a child, or three. The thought makes my belly warm and I blush. Axel must be privy to my thoughts as he leans down and plants his lips on mine, giving me a sweet and gentle kiss. This only makes me blush more.

"What do you not want kids?" He chuckles as he pulls away, his arms wrapped around my waist with a smile.

"I said no such thing; I just hadn't met the right girl then." I grin at him rolling my eyes, he's cheesy; it makes my heart turn to an unrecognizable goo. Who knew a burly biker could do such? With my past I never dreamed that I'd go googly eyes of a biker. At one point I couldn't comprehend being able to be near one without screaming my fool head off, terrified of what they'd do to me.

"You are something else, Axel." I laugh at him as he guides me to the car, helping me get before he stuffs my crutches away into the backseat. These things can't be gone soon enough! The silly devices are helpful but very annoying. The pale bruises it leaves me with are aggravating. I hate staring at the stupid things when I change.

"You know that's what you find so intriguing about me." I smile and shake my head at him as he shuts my door and walks around the car. It's true. It is one of things I like about him; to be honest, there's a lot I like about him. I know he has a burlish nature and is most of the time fairly closed off to the world besides the people he holds close, aka, Snake, Digger and a few others who are mentionable. That changes when he's around people he's comfortable with, around the ones he allows to see the true side of him. His vulnerable side draws me in like flames draw in moths.

No matter the searing pain the fire might cause me, I can't help it, I strive to learn more about him. The pain doesn't matter to me; I pray that at the end of this there is a happy ending with us together. Even as the thought drifts through my mind I wince; I don't want to think about the possibility of him hating me after this is all said and done. I wouldn't be able to live with myself, to face anyone in the MC again. My gaze shifts out the window, Axel makes the drive back to the clubhouse leisurely, opting to go to the back roads.

The relaxing time makes me smile as I watch the scenery fly past us; the warm air dances through the cab and tickles my cheeks. It isn't long before Axel pulls into the clubhouse and the gates are rolled open. A soft sigh slips from my lips as our peaceful morning is brought to a screeching halt. Pulling in, I see Snake and Digger talking in front of the garage; their expressions dampen my mood in an instant. I've slowly gotten used to Digger's more threatening stare and his blank expression. But to see it mirrored on Snake? This can't be good. My stomach churns, worry weighs starkly in my belly. "What the hell happened now?" Axel heaves a sigh as he parks his car and gets out, coming around to help me out.

I'm not sure that I really want to know what is going on; I inhale deeply and ignore the daunting feeling that has overcome me. "Axel, good, you're back. We need to talk." Snake gets right to the point seeing me he offers what I assume should be a smile, instead it's more of a grimace. Uh oh, I don't like this, not one freaking bit.