Chapter 15

Miranda bounces around the room for a few more minutes, gathering everything she needs. With the TV remote clutched in one hand, she has a bin full of goodies, from crayons and a coloring book to hair ties, and other fun hair stuff. A brush in her hand makes me chuckle; she really wants her hair done. She sets things down on the table, dragging it closer before turning to look at the couch with a pout. "Where am I supposed to sit?" I can't help the smile as I move my good leg off of the couch to give her a place to sit.

"Better?" A grin lights her face as she nods; her cute pigtails bounce all over the place.

"Yes." She turns, jumping up onto the couch, making me wince as she bounces my leg around. Miranda is a cutie, a smart one at that. She knows she has her parents wrapped right around her little finger.

"How did you want your hair done?" Miranda grabs the blanket on the back of the couch, pulling it over both of us. Smiling at her actions, I pull her hair ties from her hair, letting the soft long brown locks fall straight. She has gorgeous hair for an eight-year-old. Miranda grabs all the hair things, setting them on the arm of the couch. She continues to situate herself, pulling open the coloring book and crayons. Grabbing the remote, I hit play on the movie. Watching as 'The Secret Life of Pets' plays.

Grabbing the brush, I brush out her hair, untangling it. "Mermaid braid, please!" Smiling at that, she loves the braid, because it makes her feel like a mermaid. Her words, not mine. I know I can't be the only one with this sentiment; I love having my hair played with. I see so many women with short hair and I love it on them. I could never pull off short hair. Miranda shifts, picking up another crayon as I start the braid. I like this braid, because it still looks good, even if it's messy. Whenever I've done her hair, it gets that messy appearance.

It's always interesting doing a child's hair. Adding hair to each stitch as I go it doesn't take long to finish it. Miranda is completely entranced with the move, often forgetting the coloring book that's resting on her lap. The project is getting forgotten more often than not. Tying the braid off, I tug the strands loose, roughing the braid up slightly. Grabbing the pink ribbon she had brought in, I tie it over the hair band, making a small bow. The light pink bow stands out against her hair, it's such a cute addition for her.

Leaning back against the couch, I let my head rest on the cushion. Thankful for the soft support the couch offers me. Resting my head on the back of the couch, I watch the movie; we haven't even made it through half of it. Miranda moves, sliding off the couch, pulling the blanket with her. Watching her as she moves over towards her bright purple bean bag chair, dragging it over in front of the TV. After plopping down, she covers herself with the blanket, happily ignoring her coloring project.

Lily walks in, just in time to take a nap with her favourite buddy. Lily loves the attention Miranda gives her, even if it doesn include dressing the pup up. Lily walks over to me, making me scratch behind her ear. "Lily!" I have to chuckle, watching as Lily turns, ignoring me to go over to her favorite kid. Shaking my head, my dog is a traitor. My mind wanders to the most recent events, I don't even understand the meaning behind the attack.

Was I meant to be killed? What brought it on now? It's not like I've been making enemies with club members or even the public. I only go to a few places, home, and here to work. I've finished and wipes my hands with the hospital. Someone blew up my home, destroyed everything that I had. How did I make someone so mad to want to kill me? Sighing I look towards the screen seeing that I've zoned out, a lot longer than I thought. The movie credits rolling, Miranda and Lily curled up on the bean bag chair.

Both of them taking part in a nap; a long one if I had any guess. I stare at the screen for a moment longer before an idea pops into my head. I should go bother Axel, it's not like I have anything else to do. Why not annoy him some? Besides, I have ulterior motives; I struggle into a standing position. I pick up my crutches and bump the table I wince at the noise; Lily opens her eyes before she heaves an annoyed sigh.