Chapter 29

In the pouring rain, Link and Zelda were holding hands, trying to escape from the place. They tried their best to defeat Calamity Ganon, but it wasn't enough. The two were covered in mud, slipping a couple times because of the rain. Breathing hard, the two were running like their life depended on it.

The rain was making their grip slippery. Zelda released Link's hand, falling to her knees. Link stopped as soon as he realized that he wasn't holding Zelda's hand any longer, rushing towards her.

Zelda was panting hard, her head hanging low. "How..?" Link stopped in front of her, still having the Master Sword in hand, putting it away afterwards. "How did it come to this..?"

Link kneeled down to her level, his eyes wavering. "Zelda..."

"The divine beasts... The guardians... They all turned against us... It was... Calamity Ganon..." Zelda clenched her fists in frustration, still having her head down. "It turned them all against us!"

Link couldn't stand the sight of Zelda suffering. "This is the ultimate power he was talking about... Still, I can't believe what has happened..." He closed his eyes, looking like he was remembering the champions and his friends in his mind.

Zelda slowly raised her head. "Everyone... Urbosa, Mipha, Revali, Daruk..." She paused for a moment, her voice trembling at the next two names. "Rowan and Thalia..." Her voice was starting to crack. "The champions are trapped in those things..." Tears started to fall from Zelda's eyes. "It's all my fault..!"

Link shook his head. "It's not you fault, Zelda. It's-"

"Yes it is!" Zelda buried her hands in her face. "If only I was stronger..! I helped Ganondorf by using my power, having him turn into Calamity Ganon! I was weak! I was weak to let Ganondorf kidnap me and use me!"

Link grabbed a hold of Zelda's shoulders. "Stop saying things like that! It's not your fault, Zelda! You need to-"

Zelda snapped her head back up, letting out her anger and frustration. "I'm a failure, Link! All my friends, the entire kingdom..!" She paused for a moment, seeming like she was remembering someone dear to her. "My father most of all..."

Link felt pain in his heart, seeing Zelda in such a vulnerable state. "Zelda... Please..." It looked like he was trying to hold back tears of his own.

More tears fell from Zelda's face. "I left them all to die..." It seemed like that was her breaking point. She fell towards Link, sobbing onto him.

Link embraced her tightly, trying his best to comfort her any way he could. He never felt so hopeless in his life. His friends were dead, the love of his life was blaming herself for everything. For the first time, Link didn't know what to do.

Link's eyes wavered while Zelda was sobbing on his shoulder. He let her release her emotions since it was understandable at the moment. But at the same time, he needed to get her and himself out of this rain and dangerous field that had roaming guardians and Calamity Ganon.

"Zelda... We need to get out of here."

Zelda lifted her face from Link's shoulder, tears running down her face. "You're right..."

Link stood up first, now helping Zelda up to her feet. He looked ahead, seeing the roaming guardians nearby. One of the guardians spotted them, locking their target on them. Grabbing her hand, Link made a run for it. The target missed them by an inch, shooting down a tree that caught on fire.

Link was trying his best to escape from the guardians who were now aware of their location. There were too many of them, many targets were on them. Seeing that there was no way he could dodge all that, Link pushed Zelda out of the way.