unhappy

---

'switching into airplane mode again'

'we're not alright but I'll pretend'

'press my cheek against the glass'

'just be good till I get back'

My parents hurried around the apartment, making sure nothing was left behind, no pictures, no cards.

They had been going like that for the past hour.

And finally it all calmed down, like it was the calm before the storm, even though it felt like the storm had already been here.

The last stuff was packed down, the last pieces of furniture were sold, the apartment was empty, except for the suitcases with the necessary stuff in.

I had packed all my stuff away, and only had very few clothing items packed, I wore another pair of sweats in a mustard yellow, along with a white crew neck.

The volume of music was only getting louder, as I tried to shut my thoughts out.

All the what if's that were flying around in my head, I didn't want them to ruin my mood even more.

Even my parent's who had been very excited about everything were quiet today.

Badar was getting the car ready, by ready I mean turning the heat on and so on, since I apparently needed time to say goodbye to this place.

"I'm ready" I spoke rolling my suitcase outside the apartment.

Better get it over with. No need to get too sentimental. It's just a place after all, it's not my mom, dad or brother.

Together we all walked down to the car, where Badar was waiting for us.

Just as he promised the car was heated and ready for us to drive in for the last time, they sold the car as well, since they could just buy a new one.

My grandpa was going to pick it up from the airport and drive it to the buyer or something.

I sighed deeply once I had gotten seated in the car. It was just a lot, in very little time, already being bad at change, this was hard on me.

But it was already decided, nothing I could do.

"You okay?" my brother whispered, I just shook my head, and bit back the tears. No need to cry, I've already cried enough.

"Hey it's okay to cry" he wrapped his long arm around my shoulder.

Besides our small talk, the car was silent. Out of all of us, I was definitely taking the change the hardest.

"It's not, it's stupid"

"No Cali it's not, it's normal" Badar tried to understand me, but even I could tell he found it very hard.

"Just stop" I mumbled leaning against the window, looking at my hometown, flying by in a rush.

Like I was running from it, but it was quite the opposite.

It was me who wanted to stay, and my family who was running away from the town, they just decided to pull me along, in the rush.

My eyes started to swell up with tears, tears I quickly wiped off of my face.

My dad turned on the radio and a song I never had heard before came on, it was a striking voice, a powerful one.

I couldn't help but tap my left foot along to the beat.

'you don't know my like you used'

the guy singing couldn't be a day over 25, his voice was young and raw, but it was hard to put a face, race or age on it.

As weird as it sounds, sometimes you can hear what race or ethnic background the person singing has.

It's weird but true.

Maybe a little music was what I needed to lift my mood. Music always had been my escape.

'That was an up and coming artist named Ruel from Australia'

I rolled my eyes, of course, he had to be from Australia. I wrote the name down in my notes anyway, maybe he had a show in Sydney soon.

Maybe that's what I need.

Happy memories and moments from Australia.

The city slowly started fading, and before I knew it, we were at the airport checking out suitcases in.

I just looked around the airport looking at all the happy travelers.

And there I was, unhappy and scared, scared that Australia was going to be no good. 

---

ruel will make an appearance sooner or later, when do you think?

Comment, vote and share wink wink luv u