<scarlet heart>

~In which Nana's past life is explored~

"Hae...Soo?" Shin Na-geum, affectionately nicknamed Nana by her father, innocently questioned. At the age of 16, she was finally of age, and so, in order to expand his connections, her father was setting up a meeting between the two girls. Before Hae Soo had moved to the palace to live with her aunt, his daughter and her were good childhood friends. Unfortunately, time had moved the two apart, and now they couldn't even remember each other's names. 

"Yes, darling. She's your friend from when you were little, remember? You two used to cause so much mischief before she moved away. I think it would be a good idea for you to finally visit her, don't you?" He loved his daughter, but really, women were only good for their marriages and he wanted her to get married to the top family in Goryeo: the royal family.

"Are you sure this is appropriate, father? I can't just go visit her out of nowhere, can I?"

"Not to worry, I've arranged everything already. All you have to do is socialize. Be friendly," he gently explained. "Have I ever done you wrong, Nana?"

"Of course not, father. I will follow exactly as you say," this quality of hers, obedience, was what made her his favorite out of his three daughters. 

"Alright, you can go. Be ready for tomorrow," he instructed.

"Yes, father," she bowed and left the room.

Early the next day, she was awoken and prepared for her "casual" meeting with her old friend. She was then rushed into an ornate carriage to be taken to the palace; which sounded like a dream until you remembered that the royal family was the bloodiest family in the country. 

As she was on her way, she had time to think and let her imagination run wild. It wasn't often that she had time to herself; she was constantly surrounded by maids, tutors, potential suitors. She saw her siblings little considering the large estate and the unofficial competition between them. 

She had known for a long time that her father had been setting her up to marry someone that would increase their rank. All of those suitors had just been a way of increasing her value; showing the world that she was worth so much that men couldn't help but chase her. She was known throughout the capital as one of the most eligible women; beautiful, talented, and intelligent. Not to mention the apple of her powerful father's eye. 

The carriage stopped, and she was helped down gently. Turning on her charm, she became radiant and confident, a complete opposite of the submissive, quiet, invisible girl she was in front her family. She was led through the gates and to the 8th prince's household, ready to meet the so-called childhood friend that she was sure her father had only remembered because of her newfound connection to the royal family.

The girl was already waiting for her when she arrived at the courtyard, which was absolutely stunning, and she was sitting at an expensive-looking table demurely, conversing with one of her servants. As Nana approached, Hae Soo looked over and bowed her head slightly in greeting, while Nana bowed deeper, giving respect. They sat across from one another, making pleasantries, although it was a bit difficult, given the awkward nature of Hae Soo. She looked confused constantly, and almost unsure of what to do at any moment. Nana was relieved, as this friendship would be easy to initiate if the girl opposite her was this weak. Despite not being an inherently manipulative person, Nana did what she had to do in order to survive in her family, and if that involved catering to her father's every whim to achieve the status of his favorite and thus granting her a better future, then she wouldn't hesitate. She knew she was already leaps and bounds ahead of her sisters if her father had arranged for such a meeting.