Malvie - Part 1, Chapter 5

The VKs went back to their dorms just to hang out for a while before it was time for dinner. Mal and Evie sat together on their bed, their backs propped up against the wall and their legs laying out in front of them. Mal's arm was draped over Evie's left shoulder, holding the girl close. Evie's head leaned on her girlfriend's left shoulder, resting after a rather eventful day. They had been suspended, Chad had been captured and sentenced to execution, they went back to the Isle to see their parents, they came out to their parents, and no just wished to spend some time together and hand out. Evie let out a long sigh.

"You alright?" Mal asked, looking down at Evie.

"Yeah, just tired. We stayed up so late last night," she answered.

"But it was for a good reason." Mal kissed the top of Evie's head. She looked up to meet Mal's eyes and smiled, but kept her teeth hidden. Their lips locked for a moment and there was a knock on their door.

"It's open," Mal called. The door opened ajar.

"Is everyone decent?" Ben asked.

"Yes," Mal chuckled. "Come on in." Ben stepped inside the room and smiled at the two girls.

"I know my opinion is unpopular," he started to say. "But I have nothing against you two." There was a brief moment of awkward silence until he spoke up again. "Anyways, what I came in here to say to Evie, was that... Chad is having his last meal. I asked if he wanted anyone in particular to join him. Evie, he asked for you. So, if you're comfortable with it, I'll bring you down to where he's eating."

"Now he can't hurt Evie, right?" Mal asked.

"Correct, his handcuffs will be attached to the table. There will be security cameras in the room as well. If needed, tomorrow at the ceremony, we can play any part of the footage on the large screen we'll have in the auditorium. The only thing he can do is eat," Ben clarified. Mal turned to Evie, awaiting her response.

"This is his last meal?" Evie questioned. Ben nodded. "Okay, sure. It's his last meal, I'll try to make it a good one."

"You sure?" Mal asked.

"Yes," Evie replied sincerely. She stood up from the bed and allowed Ben to guide her out of the room and down to the first floor into a small dining room. There sat Chad, alone, at a table for two. There was plenty of food for both of them, a small feast. Fish, chicken, green beans, fruit salad, pastas, potato salad, everything you could imagine. Chad gestured for Evie to sit down as Ben left the room and closed the door.

"Evie," he stated, reaching his hand out to shake hers. "It's been a while. You look well." She shook his hand.

"Yes, as do you," she said back. He wore a blue tuxedo with the school emblem on his left breast. He began trying to make small talk, asking how her family was, how Mal, Jay, and Carlos were doing. But he quickly cut to the chase.

"Alright, Evie, listen to me," he said with a very serious tone, leaning close to the table. "I know the events of the past few days have been..."

"Disturbing, shocking, horrifying," she finished his statement.

"Yes, all of those." His voice was deep with sympathy and guilt. Evie, however, wasn't sure if the emotions were genuine. "Look, I was never proud of my actions and I strongly regret them. Being so harsh to women, other people even, has brought me great guilt. Honestly, Evie, I am incredibly and deeply sorry for whatever Amare Artis put you through." Chad reached his hand out to touch Evie's. "Nobody should have to go through that. The only reason I got involved was due to my friend's will. Truly, I apologize immensely for my actions and the actions of those inside the group. I'm sorry for everyone who dealt with such harsh and disturbing behavior. I wish to change, Evie. Really, I do. But without a second chance, I will never get that opportunity. Your relationship with Mal, I strongly support you guys. And in order for us to make a difference, we need all the help we can get. I'll be an ally to you and Mal. We can make the change happen, together." Evie was surprised by the true power and truth in his voice. She began to believe his words. Maybe he wasn't such a terrible guy after all. She'd never know if he didn't get a second chance.