Malvie - Part 3, Chapter 7

**use of the f slur, sexual content but not graphic**

"Guys!" Carlos exclaimed the morning of the dance on that Saturday, barging into the girls' room.

"M, I told you to lock the door!" Evie stated with frustration.

"Forgot," Mal replied with a shrug without looking up from her computer.

"What is it Carlos?" Evie asked, turning to him.

"Ben's sick!" Carlos told them, sounding excited.

"And...?"

"He's not going to the dance!" Mal's head shot up from her laptop. She slammed it shut and raced towards Carlos, nearly bashing into him.

"What did you say?" Mal asked, becoming intrigued.

"I said Ben's really sick so he's not going to the dance. I'm pretty sure he didn't have a date anyways." Mal turned to Evie with a smile on her face.

"Ready to dance the night away like we wanted to last year?" Mal questioned with a huge grin on her face and an outstretched hand.

"Absolutely," Evie replied with a smile just as big, taking Mal's hand. "I've already got our dresses made!"

"Why am I not surprised?"

v

The two arrived at the dance with Jay and Lonnie. Carlos ended up going to the dance as well with some of the people on the sword fighting team who also didn't have dates like Chad. Doug also joined the group, single ever since Evie dumped him for Mal.

The ballroom was just as beautiful as the previous year, chandeliers shedding some light on the scene, and tables around for people to eat at. Other long tables near the back of the room were filled with all kinds of foods and refreshments. Brownies, cookies, fruits, an untouched vegetable platter, mini quiches, sushi, tiny kabobs, a million kinds of cheese cubes, and dozens upon dozens of drink options. Evie's breath was taken away from it all. She looked to her right at Mal, in slight disbelief that they were finally there. Together.

Mal looked around the room, taking note of every couple she saw. Just like she had expected, they were the only homosexual couple. Everyone else was straight. Boy and a girl. Man and a woman. Male and a female. It stressed her out slightly, being the outlier. But she took a deep breath and proceeded to try and ignore her anxiety, hoping to have fun.

"This is incredible," Evie stated in a a kind of whisper. "I'm finally here with the right person."

"As am I," Mal stated and gave Evie's hand a small squeeze. Out of nowhere, Jane rushed up to the two of them also smiling.

"You guys are adorable," she complimented as if she was looking at two puppies. "And you're so brave. If anyone gives you any trouble, tell me and I'll get my mom to kick them out."

"Thanks Jane," Mal chuckled. "I hope we won't have to do that."

"Are you here with anyone tonight?" Evie asked.

"No, I'm with the 'rejects'. Just hanging out with Chad, Doug, some sword fighters, and Carlos," Jane explained. "Maybe if I'm lucky, Carlos might dance with me."

"It's possible," Evie said with hope.

"I've gotta go but have fun you guys!"