Malvie - Part 3, Chapter 11

The day arrived. Their one-year anniversary. Bittersweet for Mal. Exciting for Evie. She had finished her project just in time and couldn't wait to show Mal. She had made scientific and magical history, with some minor help from Fairy Godmother of course. She wrapped the two vials in silk and placed it gently into a silver box she had placed a bow on. Mal had put a dress on and bought roses and chocolates for Evie, not wanting to have anything big but at least something special. She waited in their dorm that Saturday afternoon for Evie to walk in and be surprised. Evie giggled with joy as she thought about how Mal would react at her astonishing feat.

Evie, with a spring in her step, walked joyfully to her dorm room where she figured Mal would be. She opened the door a crack and poked her head inside. Mal stood up from her chair with the bouquet of roses and walked over to Evie who entered the room.

"I know we're not dating," Mal began, slightly nervous. "But today is still a very special day for both of us, so I wanted to get you something." She smiled and raised the bunch of flowers slightly to show Evie. "Happy Anniversary." Evie beamed with joy, delighted by the gesture.

"I got you something too," Evie told her as Mal set the roses into a vase. "Well, I made it." She showed Mal the silver box, the sun shining off of it brightly. "I'm sorry for drifting away for a few weeks, but I did it for us. I did it because I was making us something. Something life changing." She took the lid off the box, revealing the two vials. They were filled with a rich pink liquid, the color of dazzling cherry blossoms. They sat beside each other like a couple. On the lid of the box was a small note. Mal squinted and read it carefully.

"I made this for us," Mal read. "Because I missed you and I wanted you back. Because I knew I couldn't continue without my girlfriend by my side. This potion was created because I love you. Always have and, thanks to this recipe, I always will." Mal looked up from the box and met Evie's eyes, her own beginning to tear up.

"Is this..." Mal began to say. "Is this what I think it is?"

"Happy Anniversary," Evie said with a giant smile.

"You created the chemical formula for love."

"Our love at least. No one can take away from us." Evie picked up the vials. "Because we have the antidote." Evie placed the box down on the ground and handed a vial to Mal. They unscrewed the tops together.

"Cheers," Mal said, clinking hers against Evie's. They dumped the pink liquid into their mouths, swallowing every last drop.

"Tastes like cherries," Mal observed with a chuckle.

"But did it work?" Evie asked.

"I don't know," Mal said, getting close to Evie. "Let's find out." The two pressed their lips together, kissing passionately for the first time in weeks. There was no way to stop their love, no matter how much anyone tried.

Their love was a recipe.

Their love was science.

Their love...

was unbreakable.