Malvie - Part 3, Chapter 5

****Suicidal thoughts and actions, no detail, not graphic****

(Before you read, I want to say that I cannot accurately speak of the circumstances and I apologize if anyone feels it is poorly or incorrectly represented. I understand it is an extremely sensitive topic.)

After Mal drove to the airport, flew to Fairy Godmother's lab, finished regathering all their needed data, and grabbing a quick dinner, she made it back to her hotel room. Her bed had been nicely made by housekeeping while she was gone, and a little wrapped chocolate sat on her pillow, waiting for her. Mal picked up her phone from her nightstand where it had been charging, hoping to call Evie. To her surprise, four voicemails were left by Evie, each about two minutes apart and the most recent one from five minutes ago. Becoming worried, Mal quickly unlocked her phone and listened to the messages.

"Mal, please help," Evie said in the first message, her voice filled with fear and anxiety. Mal automatically knew something was terribly wrong and noticed Evie was on the verge of a breakdown. "I napped, and I had a terrible dream. I tried to go to Carlos and Jay but they're not in the room and I just really need someone right now. Please call me. Please come home, I'm scared."

Mal quickly opened the second voicemail.

"MAL!" Evie screamed, now in an obvious state of panic. "Mal I'm having an anxiety attack or panic attack, or something! I don't know but I can't stop crying. I need you, I need the boys, someone! I tried calling them, but they won't pick up. I'm afraid to call Lauren or Ben because they might send me to the hospital. I don't know what to do... I'm scared, I'm scared. I'm freaking out. Please help, please help. Maaaalll pick up!!!

"I don't know what to do, I'm shaking like a leaf! I really need you. Mal please come back. Mal I miss you! Mal I'm worried. I'm scared. Everything is bad. I'm freaking out. I can't stop it!" Mal became extremely worried for Evie's wellbeing, never hearing her sound this horrified except after she was rescued from Amare Artis.

"Mal, I want it to stop. I won't stop, so I'll stop it! I have to do something..." there was a brief pause. "Mal I've got it." Mal's heart stopped at those words. She could feel the color draining from her face, fearing exactly what Evie was about to say. She knew what her girlfriend held in her hand. "I'm going to stop this. I can't go on anymore like this with whatever is happening to me. I just want it to be over! I can't do this, I can't do this. I'm sorry. You'll hate me! I know you will! But I must. It'll stop whatever's messing with my head. I'm sorry. I love you—" The phone clicked and Mal was left in silence, her heart racing at the speed of light. That was five minutes ago. Was Evie even alive? Mal instantly dialed Jay's number.

"Mal?" Jay said, picking up the phone.

"JAY!" she screamed. "Go to my room, go to it now!"

"Why—"

"GO NOW!!" Mal screamed at the top of her lungs in a panicked voice, her entire body shaking. She felt helpless, being so far from Auradon. She hated it, feeling helpless, especially in a time of crisis. She heard Jay get Carlos and run to her room.

"Mal's what's going on?" Jay asked, now at her bedroom door.

"Evie's gonna kill herself! Open the door!" Jay's mind melted. He turned to Carlos, his breaths quickening. Jay twisted the doorknob, finding it locked. The one time he desperately needed to get in and it was locked.

Evie sat on the edge of her bed, staring at a picture of her and Mal she held in her left hand. In her right hand, her gateway to freedom. A small, metal object she always kept hidden in the medicine cabinet of their bathroom. Tears fell down her wet cheeks. She hadn't brought herself to do it yet, just sitting still and crying for a while.