Malvie - Part 3, Chapter 10

For two weeks Mal saw Evie rarely. It was as if Evie was beginning to disappear from her life all together. She occasionally saw her at meals or in the evenings but normally she'd be MIA. As a result, Mal spent most of her time with Jay and Carlos who also didn't see Evie very often.

"It's been more than two weeks," Carlos said one afternoon as the three ate lunch together in the cafeteria. "I've said maybe ten words to her?"

"Same here," Jay agreed. "Is Evie ditching us or something?"

"I fear she's found a boyfriend," Mal mumbled as she pushed her food around on her plate.

"I saw her in the chemistry lab a few days ago," Jay added. "I was on my way to dinner when I spotter her mixing some chemicals together and jotting down notes."

"What would Evie be doing after school in the chem lab? Getting extra credit?" Carlos asked.

"I went inside to talk to her and she said it was for a project she's doing. A special and life changing project. I tried to ask her more, but she got really defensive as if I was interrogating her. So, I let her be," Jay explained to the group.

"Life changing project?" Mal repeated, mulling over what she might mean. "A chemistry project that's going to change her life? I don't get it." Jay shrugged.

"Maybe she's going to apply to some college or something," Carlos suggested.

"But she's devoting all her spare time to it," Mal added.

"Maybe she's trying to get into Harvard," Jay stated.

"Whatever it is, it's obviously more important than us," Mal snapped, tossing her fork onto the plate with a loud clank.

"Still not doing too well, I see," Jay observed.

"Huh I wonder what gave you that idea?" Mal sassed.

"Look, I'm sure Evie's not leaving us good," Jay said, trying to stay positive. "Once she finishes whatever experiment she's working on, she'll be back with us. She wouldn't leave without saying anything."

"Yeah," Carlos spoke up. "We'll be back to normal in no time." Mal prayed that the boys were correct. It was strange, Mal thought. How Evie had been a wreck every other time she was away from Mal but now she was doing fine. She could live without Mal no problem. Something didn't add up to her and, as always, wanted answers. She needed to know what Evie was up to and why she hadn't been with them for sixteen days.

That evening, Mal got her chance. She went back to her room after dinner and ran into her ex-girlfriend.

"Evie!" Mal said excitedly, happy to see her and have a chance to try and get through an entire conversation.

"Not now, M, I have to get going," Evie said as she gathered some things into her bag.

"No," Mal said, standing in front of Evie. "You're going to listen."

"Mal, move!" Evie exclaimed, trying to push past her and grab her bag.

"Evie!" Mal shouted, grabbing her hands. "I need to talk to you."

"Fine," Evie sighed.

"I miss you. I've barely seen you for the past two weeks and I want to know where you've been."

"I've been in chemistry; now can I please leave?"

"Not until I can actually talk to you. Are we still friends?"

"Mal what has gotten into you, of course we are."

"Because it doesn't seem like it. Ever since Valentine's Day it feels like you've been ignoring me and avoiding me. I'm sorry for the way I acted, it's just been very hard for me with our break up and everything. I'll try and be less depressed around you if you stay—"

"Mal," Evie interrupted, squeezing Mal's hands. "I'm not leaving because of you. Well, I am in a way, but you'll see soon. I'm working on a project that's going to change my life and maybe ours. Just trust me, okay?" Mal nodded.

"Okay," Evie continued. "I have to go but I'll see you a little later." Evie let go of Mal's hands and grabbed her bag, walking out of the room and to who knows where. Mal considered following her but knew that if she got caught, Evie would definitely get pissed. Mal took a deep breath as she stared at the opened door Evie had failed to close in such a rush. She wasn't sure what was going on, but she did want to trust Evie. Mal's eyes swept across the room and eventually settled on the dog calendar she had hanging next to her bed. March 5th was circled. Suddenly, Mal's eyes widened. March 5th, their anniversary, was three days away. The possibility came across Mal's brain that Evie was working on something for their anniversary. But in the chemistry lab? Mal pushed the thought away and began thinking, should she do something for their anniversary?