Chapter Thirteen: Desperation

Layla, Olivia, and I were sitting by the pool at Layla's, enjoying the view and talking about the party. "I forgot about this view," Olivia said.
        Layla invited both me and Olivia over after they worked things out. "Yeah, it's been a while since you were here. Since we all were,"
       She looked at me and then to Olivia. "Does it feel weird?"
     "Well, now it kind of does,"
     "I'm sorry. I just I'm trying not to force anything, and I just missed you. Miss our girls' night,"
      I shoulder bumped Liv. "Hey, I don't know if you know, but Asher's having a party tonight,"
      "Yeah, JJ created an Instagram for it,"
     "So why don't you come to the party?"
     "Seriously?"
     "What?"
     "I was in rehab, guys. I'm not really sure being around beer pong and Jell-O shots are advisable right now,"
      Layla sighed and looked away. "You know, I didn't realize how bad it was until you went away,"
      "Yeah. Same. I'm sorry that we didn't see how far of the deep end you were,"
      "It's okay, really. Trust me, I am so over being the sad rehab girl who just sits home alone every weekend,"
      "Well, if you did come, you wouldn't have to drink. Here. I'll tell you what, as an act of solidarity, I won't drink either,"
      "Same,"
      They both looked at each other and back at me and laughed. "What?"
     "You never drink,"
     "Yeah doesn't mean I can't drink for support of a friend,"
      They rolled their eyes and chuckled. "And you can bring Spencer,"
     "Spencer went home already,"
     Layla looked at Olivia like she was dumb. "Okay, so go get him. Drag him back. He does the same thing you do. And, besides, I know you like him,"
     "No, I don't!"
     "Olivia, I see the way you look at him,"
     "I see it too,"
     "Yeah, kind of like the way he looks at Layla?"
     "I'm with Asher. You know that. Look, I just want you to be happy again. I think this party might be a good place to start over,"
      Olivia just looked from us to the scenery and looked like she was in deep thought. I placed a hand on Olivia's shoulder. "Liv, if you don't want to go that's your choice but if you do, we'll make sure you don't do anything stupid or relapse,"
     She stood up from where she was sitting. "Fine," She said getting standing up.
    "Where are you going?"
    "To drag Spencer back,"
-----
     I walked up to my room and started going through my closet, deciding what to wear tonight. It was an Asher Adams' party, yes. But it wasn't like I had to dress all club-like. I eventually decided on a white halter tank top paired with light jeans with ripped knees. I put my hair up in a bun and added a silver heart necklace.
    I heard footsteps coming towards my room and I saw dad through my mirror.  "Where are you going tonight?"
     "Asher's,"
     "Jordan going to be there?"
     I turned around and looked at him like he was dumb. "Well yeah,"
    "Good, I never liked that Ash-"
    "I know Dad," I said. "Is there something you need?"
    "It can wait till morning. Have fun. Be safe," He said walking over to him kissing the top of my head and then walking out.
      Weird.
-----
       I knocked on the Baker's door and Luara opened it up. "Hey, Chrissy. Come on in,"
     "Jordan's in the study," She said waking up the stairs.   "Sorry, busy night,"
      "No apology needed,"
I walked to the study just as Coach did.
       Jordan was on the phone but he looked at me and smiled. "Jordan?"
      He quickly hung up the phone and stood up. "Oh. Hey, dad,"
      He looked like he was caught selling drugs or something.
     "What's up? Who was on the phone?"
     "Um, the bank. Just calling to check some allowance card purchases. You know. Um, but Asher is having a thing tonight, so I will see you later,"
       He grabbed my hand and pulled me with me, up to his room. "What was that about?"
       Jordan walked over to his closet and started going through it, ignoring my question.  "Hello. Earth to Jordan!"
      He looked at me and walked over to his door, looked out into the hallway and shut the door.  "I was snooping-"
       I rolled my eyes and sat on the bed. "Here we go,"
      Jordan looked at me weird for a second before shaking his head. "I was snooping on Dad's computer and I saw that he has a tab for Crenshaw bank open,"
        I knew what he was about to say. "J, just cause he had a tab open-"
      "He had a wire transfer to the bank-"
      "Okay? Do you know who it was made too?"
       "No, that why I was on the phone with the bank,"
       I stood up and walked over to Jordan and placed my hand on both sides of his face. "That doesn't mean anything,"
    Jordan pulled his face out of my hands and sighed. "The only person he knows there is Spencer's mom,"
      "Didn't you say that he knew the guy who worked at the barbershop?"
     "Yes, but why would he be paying money to him for?"
     "Why would he be paying for Ms. Grace?"
     "Child support,"
     "J-"
    He rolled his eyes and cut me off. "Let's just go to Asher's party,"
-----
     We just pulled up to Asher's and his entire front yard was already trashed. Jordan got out of the car before I did and walked over to my side and opened the door for me. "What a gentleman,"
      I got out of the car and grabbed Jordan's hand after he shut the door and locked it. "For you? Always,"
      We got into the house and the music was so loud that I couldn't even hear myself think. The further we walked down the hallway, the drunker people got. Jordan bent down to say something in my ear. "I'm going to find Olivia and check on her," Jordan said bending down so he can say it in my ear.
      I nodded and Jordan kissed me and walked to find Liv. I've been in this house multiple times so I knew where to find Asher. He was going to be in the biggest part of the house and he was gonna be playing with the dare chips. Before I even got to the entryway to the room, I saw a huge ass line going out from it. I shoved my way in to see Asher, Leila and JJ were at the table. Some girl pushed me. "We were here first, bitch,"
      I turned around and faced her. "I really couldn't care less if you were the first or the last. If I want to cut the line, I will. Deal with it,"
     I turned back around and walked into the room. I saw that it was Layla, JJ, Asher and another person sitting at the table. "With what? Name it,"
     "A spin in daddy's Porsche," JJ said.
       eyes filled with concern as they flickered to mine. "Anything but that,"
     I walked up to the table and stood next to Asher. "JJ, you can't even drive your car properly. How can you handle a Porsche?"
     JJ didn't budge."If he wants to stay in this hand, those are the stakes,"
     I looked over at Asher and say that he wasn't gonna pull out. "Okay,"
     That boy is an idiot some times. "Asher, no,"
   We were all outside as Asher was telling JJ to take it easy in the Porsche as they pulled out of the driveway because Asher lost the round. I looked at JJ in the driver's seat and shook my head. This wasn't gonna turn out well.
----
     I was standing next to the street, texting Jordan when the car came back up.  "Oh, that is how you drive a car,"
      "I'm just happy you didn't kill us," 
     Asher got out of the car and started to walk back inside. "Hey, maybe the game's gotten a little out.
      I looked at the car as it started rolling down the driveway. "Asher!"
      He ignored me and kept walking. "Asher, the Porsche!"
      Asher snapped around as he tried to catch up with the car. I watched in horror as the car got close to something and it scratched the entire side. "No! no, no, no, no, no! No!"
      It had been a few minutes since everyone left the party and I was sitting on the side of the road with Asher who was looking absolutely devasted. I heard someone walking up and saw that it was Spencer. "I know that look,"
      "What look?"
      "In my neighborhood, there's a look you see on a lot of the faces. Desperation. It's easy to spot. It's a different look than fear,"
     I could feel Asher get tenser. I placed a hand on his shoulder. "Oh, what makes you think I'm desperate?"
     "Asher,"
     "Come on, man. All-day, something didn't feel right about this party. You ain't got no pictures of your family hanging anywhere in this house. You always seem to be forgetting your wallet, and you let everybody else pay for this party. It ain't hard to spot somebody with no money, man. Look, I know you're in trouble, bro,"
        Spencer completely hit it on the mark. Asher didn't even look up at him. "Look, you don't know anything,"
       "Ash, he's just trying to be nice,"
       "I know somebody who can fix that,"
       "Do you know where Jordan is?" I asked.
      "Yeah, he's with Olivia,"
     I nodded and looked back down at Asher
"Trust Spencer. He won't let you down,"
----
      I finally found Jordan and Olivia. Olivia was pissed and was yelling at Jordan. "Leave me alone!"
     Jordan looked at Olivia and begged her. "Let me explain,"
     I walked up to Liv and looked between them. "What did he do?"
     She looked at me and then back at her brother. "It took a lot for me to come here tonight. I was finally enjoying myself, and he ruined it,"
     "Look, I I know you like him, okay? I know you do, but it's a bad idea, okay? Trust me,"
      I rolled my eyes, if I knew he would've acted like this when he was trying to find Liv, I would've gone with him to make sure he didn't do this. "It's none of your damn business,"
      "I think he's our brother,"