Chapter Thirty-Two: Killer Instinct

Jordan's POV:
"Wait what?" Chrissy asked over the phone.
"We just got home from Liv's one-year celebration and I walked down to the kitchen to get me something to drink and dad and mom were outside on the patio talking. They didn't know I was there and I overheard Dad saying he switched the cups for the drug testing,"
"That could cost him his job and you at the playoffs," She said.
"I know. You can't tell anyone about this. I just had to rant,"
I could feel her rolling her eyes.
"You know I wouldn't tell anyone," She said.
"Good. I mean what was he thinking?"
"He was thinking about your future babe. He was looking out for you,"
"I know but I don't know. So can you tell me what Brittany is having now?"
"Twins,"
"The sex?"
"Boy and a girl,"
"Awesome,"
"How did Liv's meeting go?"
"It's was really good,"
"That's good,"
----
"Winton Mark, Scott Anderson, Jeff Austin. Then we got Shane Butler. You can't forget Asher Adams," Dad was saying the player's names.
We were standing on the field in front of the bleachers for the playoff pep rally.
"And, of course, JJ Parker, Jordan Baker, and last but not least, your division player of the year, Spencer James," Dad said.
The crowd cheers and I look next to Dad to see Chrissy looking at me smiling. I slip an arm around her and push her closer to me.
"Now, I've been hearing all this stuff about Logan High knocking out the first seed in playoffs two seasons in a row. They are calling them the giant killers. Not no more. We are ready for Logan High, y'all. We are ready for Logan High,"
The rest of the pep rally was a blur of cheering, and chanting and normal prep rally things.
"We are not ready for Logan High," Dad said when we were in the locker room.
"Dad, we're the number-one seed,"
I was genuinely confused as to why he said that. We have won all of the latest games. We are ready.
"And Logan barely made it to the playoffs, Coach,"
'Thank you. Thank you for demonstrating why we are not ready. The regular season is over, y'all. Records don't matter. What does matter is that they have an All-American lineman. What matters is that they are called the giant killers," He chuckles to himself. "But we will be ready. We just have to add a Wrinkle to the offense. A Wrinkle? This season we have successfully run wildcat with Spencer. We are now gonna start the game with Spencer behind the center taking direct snaps," Dad said.
I see Chrissy and the other players turn their head to look at me. Dad is taking me out of the game.
"OK. for how long?"
"Till Logan adjusts to the defense,"
"And if Logan's defense doesn't adjust?"
"We win,"
"With me on the bench," I said getting annoyed.
I feel someone reach out and touch me on my shoulder. I look back and it was Chrissy. Eyes pleading with me to calm down.
"Yes, with you on the bench. Moving on. I know y'all realize it's midterms week. If y'all want to be out there on that field with me on Friday, get your grades up. All right. Get out of here,"

I stormed out of the locker room and towards my car. Chrissy was following after me. Barely keeping up. I got in my car and slam the door shut.
"Jordan," Chrissy said getting into the car.
"He's taking me out of the game," I said.
"I know. He probably has a good reason,"
"I have proved myself,"
"J, I know,"

I've been in my room since I got home waiting for Dad to come home. Chrissy was with Liv working on the paper for Mr. Vega's class. I walked downstairs to see that he was in his office.
"Hey, Dad," I said.
"Just drawing up these new plays,"
"Oh. you forgot about this one over here," I said drawing on the board.
"Thanks... Wait. What is that?"
"That is the sideline, that's you, and that is me standing next to you,"
"We talked about this,"
"No, you shut me down, Dad,"
"You questioned my decision in front of the entire team,"
"But you understand me, right? I mean, why now, Dad? What has changed all of a sudden? I've delivered for you all year. You want to know what grandpa Willy thinks?"
"I don't really care what grandpa Willy thinks,"
"He said you don't think I'm a clutch player,"
"You tell him not to speak for me,"
"You tell him yourself. He'll be here tomorrow for the barbecue. We agreed that this barbecue was something we do as a family once a week. Yeah, and his family,"
"Does Chrissy know he's coming?"
"Yes,"
"I still got a lot of film on Logan to break down, so I could use your help,"
"Okay,"
----
"Yeah, there he goes again," Dad said as we watch the game video.
"Yeah, dude's a monster," I said.
"Yo, is that Mitchell?" Spencer asked walking in.
"You're gonna be running for your life this Friday," I said looking over at Spencer and I see Chrissy's tiny frame as she walks past him and sat down next to me.
"Hey, did you rewrite that paper yet? Mr. Vega stopped by my office today," Dad asked.
"Yo, dude will not let up," Spencer said.
"Who did you write your paper on?" Dad asked.
"Neon Deion Sanders,"
"Prime Time," I said.
I see Chrissy rolling her eyes.
"That's what I'm talking about," Spencer said.
"Man. Yeah, Vega, he does not like sports. He does have the power to keep you out of that playoff game, so whatever he wants you to do, just do it,"
Dad excused himself and left.
"All right, Spence, we got Logan's entire season here," I said.
Chrissy situated herself to where she had her head on my shoulder and her legs on my lap.
"All right, let's get on it. Wait. what's this? South Crenshaw High?"
"Yeah, I guess my dad's just planning ahead. I mean, you do know that if we win out and they win out, then we meet them in the state final, right?" I asked him as I scooted Chrissy closer to me.
"Yo, I got to check out my old team," He said pushing play on the video.
"Oh, OK. I've seen this a million times," I said.
"Why is the quality so bad?"
"It's just one of my dad's old high school games,"
"Handoff to Corey James. Up the middle. And look out, here comes a burst! There he goes. Give that kid an opening, and he's gone. Touchdown!" The announcer said.
Chrissy lifted her head off my shoulder and we both looked from the t.v. to Spencer.
"That's your dad," I said
"Corey James just doing his thing. Such an electric player," The announcer said.
"Man, he had some serious wheels. I knew your dad played ball, but I didn't know he was so good,"
"Neither did I,"
"Well, now we know where you get it from, right? Maybe he's your greatest influence,"
"I don't know,"
"You didn't know your dad was good?"
"I didn't know he was great. Nobody told me. Back in Crenshaw, everybody talked about Billy Baker 'cause he made it to the NFL. But watching that game, my pops was the best player on that field,"
"Well, like father, like son,"
Chrissy hit me in the chest and I looked down at her and she gave me the "shut up" look.
"I wish people would stop saying that. It just sounds like maybe you got some of that talent from him, not that he deserves credit or anything,"
"I'm tired. Imma go and see if Liv is ready to go to sleep," Chrissy said standing up.
"Oh, so you're gonna sleep in her room tonight?"
"I'm her friend too," She said giving me a quick kiss.
----
Chrissy's POV:
I was walking down the hallway to my bedroom when Dad came out of his office.
"I got news,"
"Hmm?"
"I just got off the phone with the lawyer and your sister and egg donor didn't get charged with anything but you were granted a permanent restraining order,"
"Awesome," I said.
"Yeah. Would rather than get punished more but at least they can't legally come near you. Still going over to Jordan's?"
"Yeah,"
"Have fun," He said kissing the top of my forehead.
----
"225? I don't set mine a degree over 200. These are gonna be dry, Billy,"
I walked in and I already cringe at the sound of his voice.
"Do you even got any mustard in that rub?"
"Hey guys," I said.
"Hey baby," Jordan said walking over to me and kissing my cheek.
"Paprika?"
"Nope,"
"My mouth's watering,"
"What's going on?"
"Oh, battle of the barbecues,"
"Uh-oh," I said.
"It's actually kind of fascinating," Liv said.
"Stop messing with the temperature. I hate dry ribs. Jordan, get over here. Let me show you how it's done," Willie said.
I'm cringing every time I hear his voice
"Uh-uh. I will teach my son how to make some ribs,"
"The same way you've been teaching him how to play football? 'Cause I've been doing all the work while you have him sitting on the sidelines,"
"I'm gonna check on the baked beans," Jordan said.

"So I hear you are gonna be a big sister to twins," Laura said.
It's been about half an hour since the barbeque started. Jordan is over with his father and Willie talking about how to make ribs or well arguing.
"I am. I'm so excited," I said. "Also thank you for getting the restraining order granted,"
"Anything. You are family no matter what, even if you and Jordan stop dating,"
I smiled.
"Which I hope not cause I've been planning your wedding since you were kids,"
"Oh have you now?" I laughed.
"Damn! Something smells good," Spencer said walking in.
"Hey," Laura said.
"Hey Spence," I said.
"What's up?" Spencer asked.
"Hey, what's happening, man? You finish that paper?"
"Not yet,"
"Tomorrow,"
"I know,"
"Get it done,"
"I will,"
"Leave him alone, Dad," Liv said.
"Spencer, go get some ribs," Laura said.
"Yes, ma'am,"
"So what's this paper about, you guys?"
"Who is your greatest influence?"
"Interesting,"
"Who'd you pick?" Spencer asked Jordan.
"I don't have Vega's class,"
"Do you?" He asked me.
"Yep. I picked my great grandma. She lived through some tough times,"

Jordan was in the backyard playing some plays with Willie after we all got done eating.
"I can't stand that man," I said.
"Me either," Billy said as we walked into the bathroom.
"This was a bad idea,"
"No. Those 12 barbecued ribs you put down were the bad idea,"
"You had more than me,"
"I don't have a game tomorrow,"
"Yeah. Neither do I,"
"Don't worry. You're getting on that field tomorrow, and you're gonna show your pops what you can do,"
"He's seen what I can do, OK? I've been his quarterback all season, blowing teams out left and right,"
"He don't care about the blowouts. He cares about the 3 close games,"
I could tell this conversation was getting Jordan upset. I walked to where the back doors were and leaned against it.
"Yeah, and I won two of those games,"
"With your feet. Both games, you had an open receiver in the back of the end zone. You felt the pressure of the defense, so you left the pocket too soon. You try to run like that against Logan, and Mitchell is gonna light you up. Billy needs to see a killer instinct,"
"So he had killer instinct?"
"Oh, yeah. Billy was never satisfied. He'd win the biggest game of his life, he wouldn't even celebrate with his teammates. He'd just walk off the field all businesslike, asking, "who's next?" Willie asked.
"Jordan, I'm about to leave, walk me out?"
Jordan nods and started walking up to me. He grabs my hand and leads me to the front door and then to my car. I press my back against my driver's side door as I pulled Jordan closer. I wrapped my arms around his neck and he places his hands on my hips.
"No matter what happens tomorrow, I want you to know, I love you and I am proud of you,"
"I love you too," He said kissing me.
----
(A/N: Sorry for the jumping around so much and so sorry for how long it took me to update. Also sorry for those who read this chapter. I was half asleep and the twins were a boy and a girl)