Chapter Thirty-Five: Only Girl

It was the beginning of championship week and Billy closed all practices and have been working the boys extra hard. I was standing next to Billy when I heard someone walk up next to us. I turned my head and saw this guy that I didn't recognize. Coach looked over at him. "All practices and workouts are private this week, even individual ones,"
       "Just checking on my son, Billy, since he's been in Beverly Hills all week,"
       Son? I know all the fathers of the players on the team except...Spencer. It's Spencer's dad. I quickly looked over at Coach.
       Coach nodded. "Yeah, I understand that, but, uh, rules are rules,"
       Spencer's dad sighed and walked off. I saw Jordan look at me but I looked at my phone and saw that I needed to head to class. The boys had first and second period off due to the championships so they could practice but I didn't want to miss my second class. I walked into the school and towards my locker when I saw Liv standing next to my locker. "You know you need to talk to Jordan. He didn't mean all what he said,"
         I ignored her and walked to class. I know Jordan didn't mean what he said. He was drunk and angry at his dad but he should handle it better by not getting drunk. He knows his anger gets the best of him when he drinks.

     I got to class just in time and placed my books on my desk while I sat down. I looked at the board and I saw "today's journal: write what is one of your regrets. Half a page"
       Hmm lets; it could be not telling my father about Grant, not telling Ripley off when I had the chance. It could be a lot of things. So I just decided to write all of them. The page ended up being two full pages.
       ----
       I finished placing my books in my locker when I shut it and Jordan was leaning against the locker next to mine.
      I was walking to my next class when Asher came running up to me.  "Are you gonna really stay mad at Jordan?"
       I just kept looking straight. "What's it to you?"
       "Come on Chris, you know that man loves you more than anything and didn't mean what he said. He's going through some tough things,"
      I stopped in my tracks to turn and look at him. "Asher, you really can't say shit about my relationship when your relationship didn't end well cause you fucked it up," I said walking away.
       I got out of the school doors and I saw Jordan about to reach his car. I wasn't really even mad at him period, I just didn't know what to think about what he said. Have I really been putting out the vibe that he has to be a perfect boyfriend without flaws? A vibe where he thinks his reaction isn't justified? I sighed and started walking towards him.
       "J!" I called out as he reached the car and throw his backpack in the car.
       He looked up from his car and to me. "Chrissy, are you still mad?"
       I shook my head. "I wasn't really mad, I just needed time to think about what you said,"
       "Chrissy, I didn't me-"
       I shook my head again."Jordan, it's okay,"
      I walked up to him and I started to play with the strings on his hoodie. "I just want to let you know that the way you are feeling and reacting is completely justified. You are going through a tough time and everyone reacts differently to things that happened to him. It's okay. My problem was that you know how you are when you are angry and get drunk. You turn into mucho man and think you can fight anyone. I just didn't want you to get hurt,"
         He placed his hands on my hips and started to say my name. "Chris-"
         I stopped him. "Let me finish,"
        He nodded. "What defines the word perfect? What's perfect for me could be different for what's perfect for someone else. J, you've been there for me through thick and thin. Through my first heartbreak, when my parents got divorced, when I got my first article published. You are the perfect boyfriend for me even with your flaws which you don't have many. So please, don't ever think you aren't perfect for me,"
        Jordan just stared at me without saying anything but he kissed me which I gladly kissed back.
        "About time you two made up," I heard Liv said.
       He smiled at her. "Yeah, same,"
       I turned and looked at her. "Going home?"
      She nodded. "Yeah. Homework," 
      Jordan nodded and grabbed my hand. "Let's get to practice,"
        ---
      Theyve been hitting it hard this past couple of days. "Again! Days away from the championship, we're in full-blown practice,"
       I could hear one of the boys talking to another teammate. "I thought it was just supposed to be a walk-through, man,"
     "Ain't no chitchat! Run it again!"    
      Coach sees Jordan and called after him. "Jordan, hang back?"
       "This about football?"
       "Well, no, but-"
        "Then we have nothing to say to each other,"
        Jordan took a quick look at his father and then walked away. Coach looked at me as if I had the right answer. "This is your mess to clean up. I'm not trying to be rude but if you want to get them back, earn it. Don't look for someone else can earn it for you. This is all on you,"
        Coach was about to say something but looked past me, I turned around and saw Spencer walking up. "Where the hell you been?"
       "Crenshaw. Look, I thought this practice was just a walk-through. My bad,"
       "I understand that you may be upset with people. That's no excuse,"
       Spencer looked like he was about to snap. "Coop is in some real trouble, a'ight?Mrs. Baker trying to help her out,"
         "Oh. Well, we've got to trust that Coop's in good hands 'cause I need your head in this championship game,"
         "How can you focus on a game right now with everything that's going on?"
          I looked from Spencer to Coach and backed away. "This is where I leave,"
       I looked up over to the field and saw Jordan looking at me with a worried look on his face. I smiled at him and mouthed 'I'm fine'. He nodded and went back to running the plays.
       I sat on the bench and took out notebook, when a player came and sat next to me. The player had sprained his ankle early but it wasn't bad and it would be healed by the time Championships came. So he saw at practice to keep up. "Chrissy, can I ask you something?"
       I placed the notebook on the bench and faced him. "Of course, what's up?"
       "I just got into a new relationship, what are some tips?"
       I smiled. Rather if its homework to family or girl problems, I always loved to helping the boys. "Notice small things your significant other does, don't always act cool. Be goofy around them, Be clear and honest with what your intentions are from the beginning, most women appreciate that, please take into consideration that we are more emotional and feel different about things than you do. With that being said, please be sensitive to your girlfriend's feelings and step outside of yours from time to time, just be your girlfriend's best friend and make sure they are happy,"
      ----
     I walked into Layla's living room and looked at the new furniture. "Did your dad even show up to replace any of it?"
    Layla looked around the room and then looked at me. "Nope. He called it in and that was that,"
     "Oh man. If you ever need someone to come over and spend the night or just hang out, I'm just a call or text away,"
      "With everything that happened with Liv, I'll definitely be taken you up on that,"
       "Yeah, I'm sorry about that,"
       "I just didn't think my friendship would be collateral damage of Billy Baker and Grace James' affair,"
        "That sucks,"
        She nodded her head. "You're not kidding,"
        "She'll come around,"
        "I don't think so,"
       I shrugged. "You been through hell and back just give her some time,"
       ----
       Jordan's POV:
     It was the day of the championships and I couldn't focus my mind on that. I needed to but all I was thinking was the fact my father kept betraying, lying and disappointing us. I felt someone squeeze my hand and I look down at my hand and saw Chrissy's hand squeezing mine. We were on the bus heading to the championship and she was sitting next to me. She learned over and kissed my cheek. "Hey, I know you're stressing about everything but you gotta drop all of that for the next couple of hours. When we get home, you can yell, rage, vent to me all you want. Don't let your father's stupid mistake affect something that you've been working hard on all year. No matter what happens today, I'm still proud of you."
         I smiled and brought her hand up to my lips and kissed it. "I love you,"
        "I love you too baby,"
       The bus stopped and the co-coach stood up. "Alright, we're here, when you get off the bus don't go anywhere,"
      ----
       Spencer, Chrissy and I were the last ones still on the bus. Chrissy waved towards Spencer. "Hey, Spence,"
       Spencer walked up to us, clearing wanting to talk.  "Hold up,"
        Chrissy knew that so she pushed back me and got of the bus.
      I sighed. "Look, man, I know this can't be easy for you, playing here with us, and I just want you to know that I know that,"
       I mean if I was in Spencer's shoes, I would feel the same way. He's played with the other players his whole life and he probably always dream of playing the championships with them but now he's going against them at the championship. It's tough. Spencer nodded. "Thanks, man. It's all good. I know we got to win, and I'ma be ready,"
       I turned to get off the bus but Spencer continued to talk. "Jordan, I don't see our parents' mistakes when I look at you. I see a teammate who became a brother to me. That ain't ever gonna change. You are my brother. Their problems ain't ours A'ight?" He sniffled. "And one more thing I know you're mad at your pops right now, but you can't let that anger take over. Trust me. It'll end up hurting you more than him,"
        I wish I could let the anger go but I can't. "Well, it would help if he'd stop finding new ways to betray me. See you out there, buddy," I said as we fist pumped.
          ----
      Chrissy's POV
         "Remember what matters. This game is going to take everything that you have. I'm going to need all of your strength, all of your focus, all of your heart tonight And if you can leave that out there on the field, then we can walk off of it with the one thing that we've been working so hard for this entire season Victory. Nothing else matters until that final, whistle blows,"
       Coach took a second to look at Jordan. "Nothing else matters,"
            Jordan looked everywhere but at him.  They all started to walk to their side of the field to get announced. "Ladies and gentlemen, number eighty-three, Asher Adams!"
           The crowd is filled with cheering and booing.
           "Number one, Jordan Baker"
           Same reaction from the crowd.
           "And number eleven, Spencer James!"
           The crowd just cheers which makes sense since he is from Crenshaw.
          To be honest, like every game, I know what going on but I don't know the terms for things?
        "Pass is open! Touchdown, Eagles!" The announcer said.
          The Beverly side cheers while Crenshaw boos. It's been maybe an hour since the game started and Crenshaw is only behind by a couple of points.
        "Jackson, with a brilliant cutback! Touchdown, Chargers! And South Crenshaw continues to hang in there, now trailing by one touchdown. Chris Jackson with the quarterback keep. All the way down to the 28-yard line. First down, Chargers,"
          Chris said something to Spencer that seemed to upset him. Layla and him went to Crenshaw's homecoming and Chris all but rude to him when they are on the field today, they are rivals and nothing more.
         Jordan walks up to Spencer and tells him something but Spencer snaps at him. Whatever Chris said to Spencer really be piss him off. Spencer walked close to Coach. "Hey, you need to ease up,"   
      Spencer was clearly aggravated. "What you mean, ease up?"
         "First off, watch your tone, young man. You got a lot of game left. You're burning up all your energy. You need to pace yourself. Do I need to sit you out for a couple of plays?"
           "Come on, man, no time for that. We came to win, right? Right?"
           Spencer runs back onto the field and here come the chargers, up to the line. The announcer came on. "Jackson keeps it again and takes off up the middle. Can't-miss. He's at the twenty. The fifteen. The ten,"
       All the sudden Spencer runs intercepts the ball, tackling Chris but also making a goal. "Ooh! Spencer James! First and goal!"
     Chris wasn't moving. I stood up from where I was sitting. I looked at Coach and then back to the field. "Why isn't Chris getting up?"
        He shook his head. "I don't know,"
     Spencer turned around, dropped the ball and ran towards Chris. "Somebody help!"
      It was a couple of minutes of everything being quiet as Chris was getting loaded into the ambulance. "He's regaining some feeling in his legs. Keep praying. Spence, look, we still got a championship game to win,"
         Spencer looks at him and just walks off the field towards the locker room. I didn't think Coach could get any mord insensitive but I guess I was wrong.
        ---
       It was late in the fourth quarter, and South Crenshaw had a seven-point lead over us. I looked over and saw Spencer walk up to us. Coach didn't even look at him. "Uh-uh, not now, Spencer,"    
        "Look, I'm sorry I walked off the field, a'ight? But my head's straight now,"
         "Spencer, I don't think-"
         "I just want to play the game I love. Let me make good on the promise we made each other. Come on, let me finish the game, Coach. I'll bring it home,"
        Coach hesitated for a minute before agreeing. "Just over 3 minutes remaining in the game, and South Crenshaw holding on to a  seven-point lead and looks like Spencer James is coming back into the game,"
       There was only a minute left and Beverly is trailing by a touchdown.  Jordan throws the ball to Spencer and he catches it. Touchdown! "Beverly tying the game at thirty-five all!"
        There was another play and Spencer shakes the defender and tackles down Crenshaw for a loss. "Here we go, folks. All tied up, and six seconds remaining in the game. Chargers' Jay Murray can put it away here with a thirty-two-yard field goal. He hasn't missed an attempt from inside the forty-five all season. James shoots the gap and blocks it! The ball's loose! James scoops it up, and he's got some room Touchdown, Beverly!" The announcer yells. 
      Our side of the bleacher's cheers and whistles. "Ladies and gentlemen, your new state champions, the Beverly High Eagles!"
         I ran up to Jordan as he took his helmet off and place my hands on either side of his face and kissed him hard. "I'm proud of you!"
         He smiled at me and scooped him up in his arms and spun me around. I hugged him back.
        "Ahem," Someone cleared their throat.
         We broke apart and saw that it was Liv and Laura.  Liv walked up to her brother and hugged him tightly. "Congrats!"
         Laura walked to to us and gathered all of us in a group hug. "You made me so proud tonight, Jordan,"
        ---
        We were finally back at Beverly High. I was ready to go home and just sleep but Jordan wanted to talk to his dad. "Stay here,"
       I was next to the locker room door but I could still hear the conversation.
         "Was it worth it?"
        "What do you mean?"
        "I mean, you sacrificed your entire family. But, hey, you finally got that elusive win you so desperately wanted, right, dad? Though is it really a win if you have to lie and cheat to get it, dad? Because I mean, let's face it, without illegal recruit Spencer James and with me disqualified for failing a drug test, our team would have never made it this far, so I hope you enjoy your fake victory,"
        His anger was clear. "Now I know I-I don't want to be a Baker man if it means being like you,"
        "Uh look, there's nothing that you just said that I haven't already said to myself. I just need you to know that everything I did was for this family. Look, I understand now that the only chance I have of getting you guys back is for me to go back to the beginning and just try to figure out how I got so messed up,"
         He walks out of his office and he looks at me. "Take care of him for me,"
        I looked at him weird but he didn't say anything else, just left. I walked into the office and Jordan was reading something.
       "What are you reading?"
       "His resignation,"
       I walked up to him and placed my hand on his lower back. "Wait..what?"
      I looked over at the letter and it indeed was his resignation.
       I took the letter from his hand and placed it back on the desk. "Come on J,"
       I took Jordan's hand and led him to his car.
       ----
      He was laying on his bed while I was laying on his chest. "I really don't want to be like him,"
      I turned over to where I was laying on my stomach and my chin was on his chest. "J, you are nothing like him. You have such a big heart. As long as you kept listening to it, you'll be fine,"
      "You think?"
      "I don't think, I know,"
      All the sudden, Jordan gently moves me off his body, sits up, turns to face his dresser and pulls something out of it.
      "I don't know what the future may bring. I don't know if we will still together but until the day we break up for you. If that day comes. You are the only girl I want, the only girl I will ever need the only girl I will ever be in love with. I promise you that no matter what happened, I will always fight for you. I promise that I will always love you," He said opening his hand to reveal a promise ring.
---
THE END