Chapter Seventeen: Glue

It had been a couple of days since the hearing and I had stayed home due to being exhausted from it all. So when I went to the game, I was asked about it but Layla and Olivia. "I heard you won your case. Congratulations. How many years is he getting?"
      I shrugged. "The judge still hasn't said anything about it. Should know by the end of the day,"
      "At least you don't have to worry about him again for a while,"
      "Hopefully,"
      The play by play announcer said cutting in on our conversation. "The Beverly Eagles are seconds away from a devastating loss to Culver City, the last-place team in the division. An upset today would cripple the chances of Beverly making the playoffs. And here's the kick. He cuts left. He's at the 50, the 40. And all the way down to the Culver 20 yard line. Spencer James with an electrifying return,"
       I really don't know that much about football which kinda sucks cause I'm dating a football player so all I see out on the field is boys running around tackling each other, and throwing the ball around. I see Spencer throw up at disappointed look at our way which was really weird but before I could ask what that was about Layla beat me to it.
     "What's that about?"
      "His friend Coop was supposed to be here,"
      I haven't seen her since that night at Spencer's. I know she was at The Baker's the other day but I didn't see her as I was running away from tense situations. "Oh. Well, too bad she missed it. He looks good today,"
      Layla was still trying to play matchmaker for both Liv. She always did it with Jordan and I. "Don't,"
       "What?"
       "The last time you tried to play matchmaker, I ended up in a hot tub with my almost brother,"
       "He's not your brother,"
       "We all know that you trying to set me up with Spencer is more about you than it is about me,"
       "Liv, you know how Layla is. She won't stop till you get with him,"
       "Did she do that with you and Jordan?"
       "All the time. She's stubborn,"
      I saw someone walking close to us and I saw that it was Layla's father who had a girl hanging off him. "Hey, Princess,"
      "Hey, dad. You made it,"
      "Hey,"
       "Hi," We said as her dad sat in between her and Liv.
       She cut herself off when the girl sat in between her and her dad. "This is Olivia and-Oh! You're gonna sit here,"
         "That brings up third down.
Adams looked open, but Baker couldn't get him the ball," The announcer said thankfully cutting off the obvious tense feelings towards Layla and her dad's girlfriend.
         I see that Asher is talking angrily with Jordan and Jordan is obviously trying to keep his cool but his control is slowly fading. "Adams and Baker seem to be on opposite sides of the playbook today," The announcer said.
       "Last time I heard those two were best friends and know they look like they are gonna rip their heads off,"
        I looked over at Olivia who was already looking at me. I heard someone's phone going off as Layla's dad reached into his pocket. "It's the publicist. I got to take this,"
         "How long is he in town?" Olivia asked.
       "The usual a couple days. He's in town promoting Chyna's new album,"
        "You don't like her?"
        Layla clearly didn't like her or didn't know what to think at least. "No. It's she's-she's fine,"
       Layla almost forcing herself to say that. "You almost choked on that fine,"
      "I don't know. It's weird. She's not even his type,"
        Olivia and I looked at each other instantly knowing what this was about. This is the first women she seen her father since her mom. "She's nothing like your mom?"
        "And here we go. Two seconds left. Beverly at Culver's 15-yard line Here we go. Baker with it on goal. Butler coming in motion. Baker rolling left, scanning. Scanning, looking to go deep. He takes off. James with a monster block. Baker in for the touchdown. Touchdown!" The announcer yelled as the crowd erupted in cheers.
        I looked down at Coach and I immediately could tell that he was happy to win but wasn't happy with how the team played.
-----
        I was at my house, laying in bed scrolling through my phone when I heard a slight knock. I turned my head and it was Jordan. I sat up as he walked over to my bed and sat on the bed. I opened my mouth to talk to him but it wasn't my voice. It was my dad's. "What was up with you and Asher tonight?"
        "Nothing sir,"
        "It looks more than nothing Jordan. Whatever is going on outside of the field needs to stay out of the field if you want a shot at playoffs. You can't be letting that stuff affect you in on the field,"
        "Yes, sir,"
         Dad nodded and walked out of my room shutting the door behind him. "He's right,"
        "You don't even know anything about football,"
       "Doesn't matter if I do or not. Jordan, I know you're pissed at Asher and you have every right to be but don't let that anger blind you on the field. That anger towards Asher left uncontrol is what's gonna cost Beverly the game against Malibu,"
       "I don't wanna talk about this, I just want to relax with my beautiful girlfriend. Is that too much to ask for?"
I smiled. "Of course not,"
       He scooted me closer and kissed me.
      "What do you want to do?"
       He looked me up and down and licked his lips. I hit him in the chest with a pillow. "Not that, perv,"
      "I'm kidding. Watch some movies?"
      "Sure!"
----
      "Can't come today, dad wants to talk to me. Be safe, okay?"  Jordan said on the phone.
       It was two days since the Culver game and Spencer want us to come to Crenshaw and support Alvin which was a barber who was throwing a block party for the kids.
      I put on my shirt that I had laying out. "What about?"
       "I don't know probably about Asher,"
       "That's your fault,"
       "No, it's Asher's for doing what he did,"
      "Olivia played a part in that too,"
      "Maybe so but Asher still knew better. Not to mess with Olivia like that,"
       "Asher was-"
         I stopped myself before saying too much. I wish Asher would at least tell Jordan. Jordan's been his friend since forever and he knows Jordan wouldn't turn on his back on him. There are too many secrets going around that once one slips everything is gonna slip. Everything is gonna be chaos after. "Asher was what?"
       I bit my lip as I silently cursed myself. "You need to talk to him but I gotta get going. Your sister should be here at any moment,"
       "Alright. You two, stay safe,"
----
       I was under a tent handing out water bottles to whoever wanted on with Olivia. "You know they're gonna end up in a fight you know that right?"
       When we arrived here, Layla told me Asher wasn't coming either cause Coach wanted to talk to him as well. "Yeah probably. Both are hotheads,"
       "One is protecting his sister while the other is worrying or not his friends would still like him after knowing he's broke,"
       I said stopping in my tracks after I realize what I said. I closed my eyes and prayed that She didn't hear me but of course she did. "Asher's broke?"
      I silently cursed myself for the second time that day. I just finally gave in and told her. "Yes, that's why his mom left,"
      "When did this happen?"
      "Last year,"
      "How do you know?"
      "My dad was the divorce lawyer. You can't tell anyone. The only people that know are literally here right now. Layla, Spencer, you and me,"
      "Alright, I won't,"
      I turned my head and saw the guy from Spencer's house Chris walking up to us. "Would you like a water?"
      "I'm actually here to volunteer. You need any help?"
      I didn't say anything as I kept my distance. I don't think Chris was a bad dude, I think he was just trying to stick it to Spencer. "Honestly, I'm only doing this 'cause it keeps me in the shade,"
      "Let me help you guys,"
      I walked over to where Chris and Olivia were standing and Chris immediately recognized me. "Hey yo, sorry about that night. I was-"
     "No worries. I'm gonna go and see if Spencer and Layla need anything,"
     They nodded. I started to walk towards where the concert was. I could hear Coop was hyping up the crowd when I saw a car pulled up behind Alvin's barbershop when a guy was walking out of the shop and a few guys coming out of the car. "Sorry boys, the shop is closed,"
      "We ain't here for no haircut, but we definitely gonna take a cut,"
      "Just walk away and let me take what's mine,"
      The guy pulled out a gun and I let out a gasp. "The problem is, what's yours is ours now," 
      I knew what was about to happen, I tried to run but it felt like my feet were glued to the ground and I couldn't move them.