Chapter Twenty-Nine: Combine

*Two days later*
     Chrissy's POV:
    I was sitting on the sidelines watching Jordan and Spencer getting ready for the combine that was gonna be happening. I saw one of the college coaches walk up to Coach and shake his hand. "My man,"
     He chuckled. "Good to see you,"
     "Good to see you, too,"
     "You been well?"
    "Yeah, yeah,"
     He turned and looking at me. "Now who's this?"
     I started to open my mouth but Coach beat me to it. "This is Chrissy, she's the team manager,"
     I'm what? He never told me this but I stood up and shook the guy's hand. "Hello, sir,"
     He looked over to where Jordan and Spencer at. "Jordan, Spencer. Come here, boys. Come here right quick," He called out to the boys.
      They both ran over to me and Jordan looked at me and smiled. "I'd like to introduce you to a good friend of mine Damon King. We go way back, back to when I used to beat his ass in the NFL,"
    He laughed then looked at the boys whole sticking his hand out. "Oh! Oh, your memory always been that bad? It's Coach King now, fellas. Wideouts, Angeles Southern University,"
    Jordan reach over and shake his hand. "Jordan Baker.Nice to meet you, Sir,"
     Coach King shook a finger towards Jordan as if he was remembering something. "Jordan. That's right. Man, the last time I saw you, I'm pretty sure you was in diapers. Your dad said you got a rocket for an arm, huh?"
       Called it. "Excited to show it off, Sir. I've always wanted to play for the Wolves," Jordan said.
       I looked at Jordan and he looked at me and mouthed; fangirl much.
    Which he responded with a smile and mouth; shut up.
    I'm pretty sure Coach King saw us cause he chuckled himself. "And this right here, Spencer James,"
     "Yes, Sir,"
    "Oh, yeah. We know who you are. Beverly's finest. Man. Crenshaw's own, actually. Well, you lucky you moved to Beverly. Otherwise, you might have missed the first two combines, young man,"
      I looked over at Spencer and saw his mouth tighten at the Crenshaw comment. Don't say anything you'll regret Spence.
"Don't sleep on Crenshaw. We may not have these fancy facilities, but a lot of dudes there can play,"
      "OK. I will keep that in mind. So, you ever considered Angeles Southern for college ball?"
      I saw Jordan's face kinda go upset but he quickly masked it. "Y'all got one of the best football programs in L. A,"
     "It's close to home. And I send at least two guys to the league every single year,"
     "OK, easy, easy. The combine hasn't even started yet,"
     I was just standing him not saying anything cause once again I know nothing about football and colleges for football. "You're already in the picture. You know the game,"
       "All right. Spencer's gonna wait for the recruitment process to play out before he makes any commitments,"
      "Listen, don't wait too long. I only got a couple of guys graduating at receiver," Coach King said.
      "So, you talking, like, what, a couple scholarships?"
     "Nah. Talking one. Full ride,"
    "Oh, wow.  Right. Well, I appreciate the love, but, like Coach said, I'm keeping my options open. Nice to meet you,"
     "Nice to meet you too,"
    "Alright boys, get back to practicing,"
     They nodded. Spencer walked back onto the field and so did Jordan but he turned away and pointed at me and smiled.
    Coach King defintely saw that as he made a comment.  "Oh, I see why she's the manager now,"
      "She's the manager cause she's a smart girl who can get the boys to behave and most of the team grew up with her so they trust me and even if they didnt, they still trusted her and tell her if they're having problems,"
     I looked at Coach, shocked that he even knew that the boys do come to me some times with their relationship, school, home problems. Coach King nodded.  "Alright, I got to go so I'll see you at the combine,"
     As soon as he walked away I looked at Coach. "Coach-"
    "Yes, you're the manager, I was thinking about your and Jordan's relationship and how its affect him on the field and then your friendships with the rest of the time and I know ths season is half way over but I just thought that if I made you the team's manager, it would be a good thing. I just didn't have time to tell you yet. I'm not even gonna say be here at every game and practice but you already are,"
      He walked off the field and up to Jordan and started talking to him.
---
      I was sitting his his desk chair in his room the following day. "So, He made you team manager?"
      Jordan was busy with the combine stuff that I didn't get to talk to him yesterday and I left early. I watch him go to his closet and start to change his clothes.
     "Yeah, He said that he decided to make me one because I knew how to control y'all, you guys trust me and come to me with your problems and I also tutor you guys," I said.
      Jordan slipping his shirt over his head and walked over to me and kissed me. "I mean you haven't done it since last year but you do know to control the behavior and the rest of it is true. Plus you are always at the games and the practices, so it does make sense, if you're the manager,"
     I placed my hand on his chest and kissed back. We parted only due to the doorbell was rung. "Stay here, I'll be back,"
    I decided to follow him rather than stay in his room and as I was making my way down the steps, I heard his grandpa's voice.
Oh, what does he want now?
    I walked down the last step and grabbed J's arm. "Of course, it's you,"
      Jordan grabbed my hand and held it
"My dad's already at the field setting up the Combine and mom's got a conference,"
     "Good. Good,"
      J looked at him with a questioning state. "Uh what-what are you doing here?"
     I wonder why, you asked your grandson for money and you were only using him for that. "You stopped coming by to see me. Figured I'd come see why,"
      I stifled a snicker with a cough. "Well, you know, I've just been busy training for the playoffs and the Combine,"
     "You call what your daddy does training? Thought you wanted my help,"
     I was about to say something about how he is a lying piece of shit that doesn't actually care about Jordan but he beats me to it.  "I thought about it, and I'm good, at least on the training but I'm still down to hang out, as long as you don't try to use me as an ATM again,"
      I looked at him surprised.  "Hmm. You know what? How about breakfast on me? Hmm?"
     "I can't today. I gotta get to the Combine,"
     "What for? You ain't ready no how,"
Uh oh, I squeezed Jordan's hand. "Let's go or you'll be late,"
     I tried to get Jordan to move but he had his feet placed firmly and he was stronger than me. "Um, I mean, I was good enough for the college recruiters to invite me,"
"You should never be satisfied with being good enough. And just for the record, you got invited 'cause you're Billy Baker's boy,"
     I was inches away from completely snapping at him not caring if Jordan would get mad or not. Jordan scoffed. "Well, not everything is about my dad,:"
     "Let me ask you something. When was the last time you were really challenged on the field? You, personally? You're about to go up against competition that's a whole lot more talented and prepared than you are. You'll see,"
"Or maybe you'll see whenever I prove you wrong. Can you leave now? So I can lock the door?" He asked.
Willie was about to say something but I stopped him as I was completely pissed of at this time. "Oh you know what? Just do everyone a favor and screw off, would you? What do you know about the combines and the NFL? All you know what to do is make petty little insults and I've had enough of it. Jordan? I understand that he's your grandpa, but he's an ass who obviously doesn't care about anyone else's feelings," I said.
     Willie looked at me and was about to say something to me but Jordan cut him off. "Leave and don't come back,"
      Willie just sighed, nodded and left. Jordan shuts the door behind him and puts his back on the door, leaning on it. I walked up to Jordan. "I'm proud of you for staying up for yourself," I said.
     He smiled and pulled me closer to him and kissed me. "Forget what I did. You were incredibly sexy when you did that. The power you excluded, damn,"
     I laughed, grabbed his hand and walked outside. "We gotta go before we are late and thank you,"
    We drove for a few minutes until we reached the school and the parking lot was already filled with cars and news outlets.
I mumbled to myself as I got out of the car.  "This is gonna be a stressful day,"
       Jordan didn't hear me as he reached for my hand. "I gotta get signed in,"
    I walked up to him with my hand outstretched, grabbed his hand and we walked into the school. It was already packed but I saw Layla sitting at the table where Olivia was supposed to be.
     Jordan walked up to Layla while she was digging through the files to find his. "Where's Liv?"
      Layla shrugged as she handed Jordan the file. "Don't know, she told me she'll be right back and to cover for her,"
     Jordan finished signing in and kissed my cheek.  "Hey, I'll be back, I'm gonna go find my dad," Jordan said.
      I nodded. "I think me and Spencer had some competition for cutest couple,"
"I think it's even fifty-fifty,"
        "Me too. How's Britany with the pregnancy? Do you know what she's having?"
      "She finds out later today and I think she wants to reveal it in like two-three days,"
      "Aw, cute,"
     I saw Layla looked behind me and her face brightened up. I turned around and saw it was Spencer walking up. "What's up, baby? What are you doing here?"
     He looked over at me. "Hey, Chrissy,"
     I nodded. "Hey Spence,"
     "Stuck covering for Olivia, which she owes me for big-time. Hey, everything OK?"
     "Yeah, just a lot on my mind. You know. Big day,"
     Layla looked over at the girl sitting next to her. "Um, hey, can you cover for me a sec?"
      She pulls Spencer to the side and I walked a little to the right of them so I wouldn't hear the conversation they were having. A few minutes went by and I looked up from my phone and saw JJ and Jordan walking up to Spencer and Layla. I walked over to there to stand next to Jordan. JJ pulled me into a hug and then let me go. "Time to get it in, boys and our newly appointed manager,"
     "Hey. What up, what up, what up?"
     Jordan did that bro shake with Spencer. "What's going on, Spence?"
      "Hey, let's show these college recruiters what Beverly boys are made of,"
     "That's right," Jordan said doing the bro handshake with JJ again.
     I chuckled. "I don't get what is up with boys always do that bro shake,"
    Coach King walked up to us before the boys could answer.  "I like your spirit. Can't wait to see you ball,"
     "Yes, Sir,"
    "Oh. Spencer. I took your advice about Crenshaw. I like a player that's not afraid of a little competition,"
     As Jordan, Spencer, and JJ were watching Coach King walk away and I saw Chris, Cam and another guy walked in from the opposite side. "Guys,"
    They looked at me and then turned to look at where I was looking. "Hey, Spence, Jordan. Layla. Chrissy, what up? You were looking out, putting us on Coach King's radar, man,"
     "All good, man. Glad you came through,"
     "Pleasure,"
    "Can't say the same for your boy, though,"
      "Hey, man, you the one that got him right in the first place. Now, remember, man. Iron, sharp as iron"
----
      Coach walked out of his office, stepped into the front of the locker room and addressed all the players. "All right, all right, all right. Gentlemen, welcome to the District Combine. For those of y'all who do not know me, or have not had the pleasure of getting their tails beat down by me or my team, I'm Coach Billy Baker, co-hosting alongside the college sponsors that are here in the building and this here is the team manager Chrissy,"
     Coach turned to look at me and I did a little wave. "Hello boys,"
    Coach nodded and turned back to faced the boys. "If you need anything, just let me or her know. Now, let's get down to brass tacks. Players, congratulations. You are here for one reason and one reason only. You are the best that the area has to offer. However, the Combine is designed to find the best of the best. You will be tried and measured. Follow me,"
     Coach walked over to the machines and we all followed. "Height, weight, strength, and speed. All of it will be tested, after which a select few of you will be invited to play the 7-on-7 showcase game tomorrow. Gentlemen, making the cut is simple. Be at your very best. All right, fellas, get this,"
     I was standing near the doorframe when I saw a couple of boys from a different school walked up to me. "I gotta question,"
     I pushed myself of the door and cleared my throat. "What's up?"
    The boys looked at each other, smirked, and looked at each other. "Coach Baker said to come to you for anything right?"
    I immediately knew where this was going.  "Im taken by one of the players here, so unless you have a legitimate need, I suggest you focus on the Combine and not being the pigs you are or you'll get your asses handed to you but the Beverly Players. Or wait that'll happen anyways
So with that being said, do you have a legit concern?"
       The boys' smile dropped and they quickly walked away. I sighed a sigh of relief when Chris walked up to me. "I hate guys,"
     He laughed. "Well not all,"
     He shot a look over at Jordan. "Of course. Do you have a concern?"
     He nodded. "Have you seen Olivia? She said she'd be out front this morning?"
    "No, I haven't seen her since last night,"
    Jordan walked up to me and stood left to me. Chris looked over at Jordan. "So, you nervous?"
     Jordan looked at Chris and I could tell he was getting defensive.  "No way. I'm coming off a winning season,"
    "All right. Excuse me. Though, last time I checked, the Combine wasn't a team event,"
     "That doesn't change a thing. All right? I know what I bring to the table,"
     I resisted the urge to touch his chest. "J, chill,"
     "Easy. No one said you didn't. I mean, you got prototypical size. Pops played in the League. Scouts are probably already salivating over you,"
       After minutes of having this position workout, Coach changed it up. "All right, Y'all, wideouts are next. Line it up. First up, Asher Adams,"
    I forgot Asher was suppose to be here today, I looked around and didn't see him. I looked over at Jordan whose face was just pure annoyance at the sound of Asher's name. Caoch waited for a few seconds and then goes on. "No? Next up, Jay Quellin,"
     "Wait. I'm here,"
     Asher runs in while pulling on his shirt. I didn't even need to look over to see Jordan's reaction cause I already knew what it was.
     Anger.
    "OK. Good luck,"
----
     After all the workouts were done, we moved out to the field and as we were walking outside, JJ was talking to me about something but I couldn't focus on that  cause those two guys were staring at me and so were the rest of their friends. JJ nudged me. "You alright, Hendericks?"
     I looked away from the boys and to JJ. They probably think JJ was the player I was taken by. "Yeah, I'm good,"

     The players were doing timed forty-yard dash and Chris was doing his dash. I was standing next to the water table refilling cups when Jordan and Spencer walked up. I handed Jordan a cup and then Spencer one. "Yo, when did Chris get so fast?"
    Spencer laughed but shrugged. "Always has been. This is the first time y'all gone head to head. Yo, who's that dude with Cam and the coach?"
     Jordan looked over to the right of the field and saw Cam, King and another person. "Coach King? Brett Hanson. Angeles Southern's number-one booster. He's got half the campus named after him. Now, why are you sweating? Coach King all but said they came here for you, OK? You've had a good day, Spence,"
     "Well, it ain't good enough for me, all right? They got they eyes on somebody else now, and I need that Angeles Southern scholarship,"
    I see Cam walk up to where we were and I could just feel the confidence radiate off it. This isn't gonna end well. I offered him a cup of water but he waved it off. "What's up, Spence? What's good? Look, I'm thinking it's time we give these guys a show. Let them know what us Crenshaw boys do,"
     Spencer wasn't having that. "We ain't boys, Cam,"
    "What's wrong? Thought you liked to compete, big dawg,"
    Cam was goating him into a competition.   "So, what you got in mind?"
      The plan was to run the forty-yard dash as a race even though it was supposed to be individually timed. I saw Coach walk over to Coach King and Hanson and said something but Coach King brushed it off.
"All right, fellas! On your marks! Ready. Set. Go!"
      Cam ended up beating Spencer by a few seconds and Spencer was upset clearly. I took a cup and walked up to him and handed it to him. "Hey, it's okay, you are doing good,"
    He took the cup from my hand and gulped in down within a few seconds. "Yeah, says the person who doesn't know anything about football,"
    I sat next to him on the bench and placed both my hands on both of his shoulders. "He only beat you by a few seconds Spence. Don't beat yourself up,"
      He looked up at me. "I need to be the best of the best to get that full ride if not my moms is gonna drop out of school to finance me through college,"
     I knew there was a underlying reason, he was putting this amount of pressure on himself. He always did but this was more than usually. I signed and looked him directly in the eye. "Yes, I know I may not know much about football but I do know about what football recruiters are looking for as my dad is friends with a few of them. Hell, a few of them are here. Anyways, they dont just look for whose the strongest and fastest player. They also look for the one who has the best discipline, the player who has the most desire to play the game. Dont count your ducks in yet, you still got a chance,"
     I gave Spencer a little shove and got off the bench. I walked towards where the water was and I looked up and saw that Chris and Jordan were throwing footballs to the other players and by the faces, Jordan was obviously thinking he was doing a bad job. "Could somebody get me a real QB? What's that fool doing here?"
     I looked over at Cam and I couldn't believe how much of an ass he is. All I wanted to do was to go over there and punch him straight in the face. Maybe one day, I will.  Jordan walked up to the water table and grabbed one of the cups. "I'm sucking out there,"
     "I'm sure you're doing fine,"
    J looks at me and chuckles.  "I need to teach you football,"
    Chris walked over to us and grabbed a cup.  "Are you good?"
    Jordan nodded. "Just having an off day,"
     "Happens to the best of us, man,"
     "Did you miss a single throw today?"
     "I mean-"
     Jordan didn't even let him finish. "That's what I thought. You straight-up outplayed me,"
    A recuriter that my dad knows walked up to us and handed Jordan an envelope. I recognized him but dont remmeber his name. "Excuse me, gentlemen, Jordan Baker? Congratulations,"
     Jordan grabbed the envelope. "Thanks, Coach,"
    The guy nodded and looked at me. "Good to see you Chrissy. Tell your father I said hi,"
     I quickly looked at his jacket and made a mental note of what college he works for. "Of course,"
     I looked over at Chirs, who was very angry. Jordan hesitated for a moment trying to figure out what to say. "Chris, I'm-I'm really sorry, man. You deserved an invite, too,"
     "Yeah. I deserved that one. You said I outplayed you all day. Yeah, man, you got size, strength, but you also got a daddy that played in the NFL, and that right there, man, that's all you'll ever need but you know, man, it's all good. It's all good because where I'm from, I'm used to hustling and working twice as hard. And, man, we both know you don't deserve this. But, man, you can keep your privilege. I ain't gonna stop,"
     I just stood there watching him walk off, not being able to say anything. I looked over at Jordan and his face mirrored m mine.  "What just happened?"
     B"I don't know,"
    It was after the combine and Jordan left to go to sleep after all that happened today so I was hanging out with Layla and Olivia.  "So, Chris just left without saying good-bye to you?"
      "He's probably just upset about the Combine and I don't know. Maybe he just needs some space,"
     Olivia looked over at Layla and chuckled. "Hmm. Look at you being all understanding,"
    "It's the combine," I said.
"How do you know?"
    "Jordan and Chris were standing at the water table when Jordan was handed the invitation and he didn't so he was pretty mad about it."
     "Oh well, he's my boyfriend. He'll talk to me when he wants too. Hopefully,"
     "Glad you remembered that,"
    "What's that supposed to mean?"
    "I can't believe your emergency this morning was saving Asher,"
    Olivia looked over shocked at Layla. "I know he done some pretty messed up shit but he's in a bad place right now. I mean, I've been there, and I was lucky. I mean, what saved me was a family who forced me to get the help that I needed. We just need to be that family for Asher,"
----
     It was the next morning after the combine and Spencer had to leave cause of some injury and once again Cam is yelling at Jordan. "Yo, coach's son keeps overthrowing me, man. I told y'all he ain't no real QB,"
      Jordan sighs and walked over to the sidelines to where I was standing next to his father. "You gonna let him talk to you like that?"
     "Yeah, he's right, OK?"
     I looked over at J and he was stressing and could totally tell that he was believe everything Cam was saying. "What you mean, he's right? He ain't right. Easy. It wasn't perfect, but th-"
     J rolled his eyes and cut his father off. "There's no 'but' after 'it wasn't perfect'"
    "Okay? Hold up. What's that supposed to mean?"
   B"It means stop patronizing me and start pushing me to be the best. Okay Grandpa Willie was right. I'm I'm not ready for all this,"
      Jordan told me after he got home from the invitation only dinner that the ASU coach told him that he cracks under pressure and he's holding back for some reason. That and what Willie has said, has got him messed up. "J, I told you to stop letting him get to you,"
     He looks at me but back at his dad. "Haven't I warned you about letting that man get inside your head, boy,"
     "Dad, would I have even made the showcase if I wasn't your son? Look, even if that did play a role, and that's a big 'if', what matters is what you do with the opportunity,"
     Spencer walked up to us as Jordan was doubting himself and basically got in his face. "Hey. Hey. What the hell are you doing? Get in there and own your spot, man. Keep firing. It ain't on you if Cam won't go up and get it,"
       "Thought you were injured?" 
      "Look, scouts can think what they want. If Coach King won't give me a chance, then that's on him, but I'mma be right here. And when I do get my shot, ain't nobody forgetting about me,"
         I walked up to J and put my hand on his shoulder. "Listen to him J. He telling the truth. You can't let this opportunity pass you by,"
     Jordan looked over at me, clearly thinking about something and then back to Coach and Spencer before Jordan could say anything, Coach uncrossed his arms. "You know what? To hell with this. Both y'all get warm. You're gonna get another shot at that next series,"
      They both looked at Coach for a second and nodded then started to practice as King walked over to us. "What the hell is going on?
    Coach looked at me with the 'you don't need to hear this' look and I walked away leaving them two to talk about whatever it was.  I don't know what Coach said but it pissed Coach King off. 

      Jordan ended up throwing an really amazing throw that was easily the best hes ever thrown and Spencer oncer again had an amazing catch.

Jordan's POV:
        "That's it? If you want me to tell you I was wrong about you being ready I want you to tell me what you see. That's not a throw, Jordan. It's a catch, Spencer's catch. I know it, and any scout worth his salt will know it, too," Grandpa Willie said.
       Later the next day, I wanted to show Grandpa Willie the throw I threw and Spencer's catch. I asked Chrissy to come with me but she looked at me and laughed and told me I was crazy for going back over there but she was going to be at my house when I get back. "Okay,"
        G.W looked at me confused. "Ok, what?"
      I thought about it for a few minutes before opening my mouth. "Okay, I want you to train me,"
      "Why?"
     "It took me a while to realize how much the game meant to me. OK? that I wanted it for me and not my dad, but now I know. I want to be great, and you're the only one who's ever held me to that standard,"
    "You need to be sure, kid. Ain't gonna baby you. Ain't got no time for no whining. I don't coach like your daddy. You're likely to hate me before we're done. Understand?"
      "Yes, Sir,"
----
Author's Note:
I know this was a week late, I'm sorry. Writer's block. Next chapter, will include something really cute. 👟👟