Chapter Twenty: Ripley

It was the day of Homecoming and JJ, Asher, Jordan and I were at Spencer work just hanging out. "Spencer, dude, take a break, man. You've been working since we got her,"
      Spencer looked at us."I can't, man. We extra busy today," He said then walking over to a table and placing the pizza on there. "You got one pepperoni,"
      The girl opened the box and screeched as she read what was written on it. "You have a pizza my heart, Gabby. Be my date to hoco?" Eee!"
     Spencer just looked at them weirdly as he walked back to where we were sitting. "What, too corny for you?"
      "No. No, y'all just take this homecoming thing really seriously, that's all. It's just a dance,"
      "I agree with you, Spence,"
    "What, you don't have dances in Crenshaw?"
    "No, we do. It's just not that deep. So you don't care about the dance Chrissy?"
     "Usually want to skip them but Layla, Olivia, Jordan, JJ, and Asher always force me to go and this year, I'm dating the QB and I want to support him,"
    Jordan scooted his chair closer to mine and kissed a cheek. "So did he ask you?"
     "Nope, I didn't even have to ask,"
      "I started to but she looked at me stupidly and goes 'if you are going to ask me to Homecoming then you're stupid. We're dating that automatically means I'm going with you,"
       "I didn't call you stupid,"
      "What did you call him then?"
     "Dummy,"
     "That's the same thing, babe,"
I rolled my eyes as I stuck my tongue out at him which made everyone laugh.
   JJ looked up from us and to Spencer. "So who are you taking to homecoming?
      "Nobody, man. I'm rolling solo,"
      "Aww. Too many, options, huh? Don't want to break any hearts?"
I took a sip out of my tea knowing who exactly he wanted to take. "Yeah, something like that. I gotta get back,"
     "You know, I can respect going solo,"
      I turned my head and saw Layla and Olivia outside the door talking before Layla walked in heading towards us.
      Uh oh.
    She looked at me before she looked at Asher. "Can we talk?"
     "Yeah,"
      Layla started to walk outside the restaurant and Asher followed behind. "That didn't look good,"
    Jordan looked from them to me. "No, it did not. Do you know what's up?"
I grabbed my tea a little too quickly and ended up slipping it. "Shit!"
Spencer walks over to us and just looks at me with the 'are you kidding me' face.
     "Sorry Spence. Accident,"
    Jordan got up from his seat. "I gotta go use the bathroom, I'll be right back,"
     I nodded and started helping Spencer clean up. "You don't have to clean it up. It's my job,"
      "I know but I'm the one who spilled it,"
     "Chrissy,"
     "Spencer, I'm going to help you rather you like it or not,"
     "Man, you stubborn,"
    "Everyone says that,"
    After I was done helping Spencer clean up the mess I created, I looked up and I saw Jordan and that Malibu cheerleader from Instagram talking and Jordan looked annoyed. He said one more thing before walking back over to where I was standing. "What was that about?"
"Nothing. Let go. We got homecoming to get ready for,"
----
       I was in the bathroom with Olivia getting ready when I sighed. "I saw something weird today while at the restaurant,"
       "What's that?"
       "Jordan was talking to that Malibu's cheerleader Ripley I think that as her na-"
      She cut me off before I could finish. "Don't tell me you're one of those girlfriends that gets mad over her boyfriend talking to another girl innocently,"
      "No, it wasn't that he was talking to him. It was the fact, He looked like he wanted to deck her in the face and then we left the restaurant in a rush. It wasn't Jordan like,"
"Maybe, she said something about you, I mean he's kinda overprotective over you,"
        "Maybe,"
       "Don't worry about it,"
--
        Olivia was the first one to walk down the stairs as all eyes were on her, then it was my turn and my eyes landed on Jordan who had his jaw slightly open. I walked over to him. "You'll catch flies if you keep your mouth open,"
      He got over his shock and closed his mouth as he turned and kissed me. I looked over at Coop who was all dressed up.  "Wow, I never thought I'd see Coop dressed up like that,"
"Shut up," She said jokingly. "You look great Chrissy,"
    Jordan wrapped his arms around my waist and smiled.  "Doesn't she?"
      We were all getting in in the position to take the photos when there was a knock on the door and JJ opened the door. It was Olivia's date, Chris. "Olivia, are you serious?"
     Jordan had told Olivia about that night at Spencer's and she didn't really care. "Last time I checked, I don't need to run my dates by you,"
     "OK, everybody, let's get together. Let's take this photo. Wait, where's Asher?" Coach said.
     I grabbed Jordan's arms and wrapped them around my waist. Asher walked into the house and Layla followed him. "Yo, who's ready to turn up?"
    I looked over at Spencer and his eyes immediately landed on her as he was in awe. "There he is. Perfect timing. Get her in here. Oh, and you look wonderful,"
      "Okay. Remember boys, no drinking or staying out late. Girls, I'm counting on y'all to keep them in line together," He said.       
      "Alright, go"
-----
      I walked into homecoming hand in hand with Jordan as Attention played. "You and the rest of stu co did a great job at decorating,"
    I pulled Jordan over to the middle of the gym to dance. "Thanks, let's dance,"
    After a few songs, Jordan grabbed my hand and pulled me over to where the drinks and food are. He poured a cup of fruit punch and handed it to me and then poured himself one. I was about to take a drink when I saw Asher and Layla talking and by the looks of it, Layla wasn't having any of what Asher was saying. I saw Spencer start to walk up to them and ask Layla something which set Asher off. "I'll be right back,"
     I walked up to them just as Coop was. Coop pulled Spencer away from them. "Listen, listen, I'm thirstier than a mug, man. I need a drink, like, now,"
     Layla looked at Asher with pure anger. "Do you have to be such an ass? I'm here with you, aren't I? Isn't that enough?"   
      Layla then storming off. "Asher, dude,"
      He looked at me about to snap. "What?"
"Why are you so angry?"
       "Because Layla kissed Spencer,"
      I hesitated to say anything which Asher took as me knowing. "You knew..."
     I tried to talk but he cut me off.
"Save it. We've been friends since we were in diapers and you didn't tell me? Thought we had each other's back,"
      I was taken aback by that. After all, I did for him and had his back with. He really had the audacity to say that. "Oh really? Where have been since I got attacked by Grant and then when I got stabbed? Let's be real here Asher, we haven't been friends for a while now and I'm just now am realizing that. And if you're mad over Layla kissing Spencer. You need a reality check. You did worse with Olivia, you're a pig Asher,"
     His eyes widen when I saw that. "Oh yeah, I know,"
      I said turning around and walking to where Jordan was standing. As I walked closer, I could tell he had a worried look on his face. "What was that about?"
     "Layla kissed Spencer the other day. Layla told Asher. Asher is mad. Asher tried to take it out on me and so I told him off,"
     Jordan stood up straight. "What do you mean take it out on you? Did he threaten you?"
     I shook my head. "No. He tried to throw the 'we've been friends since we are in diaper' bit in my face and that since I didn't tell him what happened between Layla and Spencer, I didn't have his back,"
      "Oh,"
      He almost sounded like he was relieved.
    "Why do you sound relived like he was gonna spill some secret?"
      "Huh? Oh, it's not like that it was just I didn't want him to hurt you,"
     I nodded.  By his body language, he was hiding something but I didn't want to push at it. I turned my head and I saw Leila leaving the gym and Asher following her. This isn't going to end well. I looked over to see Olivia talking to some people. I looked to the other side of the food table to see Coop schooling Chris and Spencer and they busted out laughing as Coop walked away and towards us. "Man, are all men hard-headed?"
      "Yes,"
      "No,"
Jordan and I both said at the same time. I looked at him and he looked at me. "Is there something wrong between y'all too?"
    Jordan was quick to answer that. "What? No, why?"
      "I don't know. Just a vibe, your boy is giving off,"
      Coop gave us one last look before walking off.  I opened my mouth but Asher beat me to it. "What's up, Beverly? Allow me to introduce you all to the best damn football team in Southern California. Aaron Miller, Mr. Strong safety himself, get up here. Make some noise, everybody,"
     Everyone cheered as Asher continued. "And that beast? That beast, J.J. my boy. Best damn linebacker I've ever played with. Of course The real MVP. Beverly's latest transfer Spencer James," Asher said looking at Layla and Spencer.
Asher was clearly drunk but no one was stopping him. We didn't realize what he was doing until it was too late. "Isn't that right, Layla? I mean, you did cheat on me with him, so you would know,"
     Asher waved the crowd off trying to get the stop 'oooooh' "No, no, it-it's OK, really, it's OK. Because technically, I cheated first. Tell her, Olivia. Tell her. Go on. Tell your best friend how we had sex way before Spencer showed up on the scene,"
       Then he looked over at me and Jordan and smirked.
"And of course our QB, Jordan Baker. Let's hear it for him and Chrissy. They really are the cutest, aren't they? They seem perfect, don't they? But that's not the case. Tell her Jordan,"
     Jordan the entire time was trying to get me to leave but I pulled my arm put of his grip. "What is he talking about?"
      Jordan shrugged. "I don't know, he's drunk,"
      Asher scoffed. "Tell her, while she was dealing with trying to figure out who stabbed her, you went and cheated on her with Ripley,