Chapter 40

Aleksei is tired and wants cheesecake so badly.

***

"You want me to kill him? Why don't you do it?" I asked, trying not to seem overly dramatic.

I knew I would have to kill people, I knew it was in the job description. But it was still something that I wasn't used to doing.

"To teach you a lesson darlin'. If you can't do this...then maybe you should just stay being Sinister's sweet, pretty little wife." Sebastian's words, although cruel, were said softly. I knew he didn't mean to be harsh, he was just stating facts.

I nodded firmly, pulling my pistol from my waistband and motioning for him to open the door.

I walked inside the cold, moldy smelling room, and came face to face with a beaten face.

He was older, withered, with gray, peppery hair. His face was a disformed mess of blood and bruises. His left arm hung loosely in his restraints, it was clearly broken. Blood caked his tattered clothes, his gray hair had brownish-red splatters of blood speckled throughout.

His right eye was bruised shut, blackened bruising covered the entire right side of his face, his lips were cut open, trickles of blood falling from his mouth.

He was more dead than alive.

His one, non-bruised, eye flickered up to me. It was bloodshot, and dark as he took in my presence.

"If they're trying to use another intimidation tactic, this one is definitely not going to work." His voice was raspy and try as he motioned towards me

I said nothing, my eyes still trailing over his broken, beaten body.

"Are you here to kill me, child?" He mocked me, blood gushing from his lips as he motioned towards the pistol in my hand.

I gripped the metal in my hands, giving myself a nod of reassurance, before I raised the barrel of the gun at his head.

"You know...you remind me of my daughter." He said quietly, completely unfazed by the gun I had pointed at him.

"You have a daughter?" I asked softly, still not moving the gun away from his head.

He nodded, closing his eyes in reminiscence.

"Maria, her name is Maria."

I scoffed, "Then why choose this life? Why sacrifice the sanity and safety of your child?"

He tilted his wounded head back, his eyes still closed as he hummed.

"Parents have a child, and in doing so, they bring into the world a monster that kills everything it comes in contact with..." His words made no sense to me.

"Shut the fuck up." I spat, trying my best to sound intimidating.

His eye peeled open to stare at me, "Your name is Calla Velkov, my dear. You're married to the boss, aren't you?"

I hesitated before nodding, "How the fuck do you know that?"

He hummed, ignoring my question completely.

"You know, the Calla lily is the most beautiful flower of them all...Plants are more courageous than almost all human beings. An orange tree would rather die than produce lemons, whereas instead of dying, the average human would rather be something they are not."

I said nothing, digesting his words as he chuckled darkly, more blood spilled from his open wounds and onto the floor.

"You, my dear Calla lily, are trying to be something you simply aren't. Do us all a favor, lower your gun, leave this building, and this life....let one of those men kill me. Flowers are meant to be beautiful and still, they do not kill."