Chapter 2

Chapter 2 {EDITED}

I smiled as we stepped off of the airplane terminal. I was literally like a child on Christmas.

I skipped all the way to the luggage conveyor belt and grabbed my luggage just as my parents joined me.

“Someone’s happy to be back,” my dad teased.

“Well someone’s not too excited to be back,” I retorted.

“I’ll go call a cab,” I then added.

“Oh, sweetie. We don’t need a cab. Didn’t you hear? The Piersons are picking us up,” my mom said.

My eyes went wide and I couldn’t help but smile. “Okay, I’ll watch for them,” I said.

Two minutes later, they still weren’t here. I stood, guarding the luggage while my parents emptied their bladder.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around.

“Um, excuse me-” the guy started but I cut him off by jumping on him.

“Shane!” I cried.

He grabbed me by my waist and placed me down. “Evie?” he asked.

“The one and only,” I said, smiling.

His eyes turned dark and I suddenly became worried. What if he doesn’t like me anymore? Does he still remember that promise? Because I sure did!

“You’re not Evie,” he said.

I rolled my eyes and lifted up my wrist to show him the bracelet I had kept on all these years.

His eyes went wide as he looked at the bracelet. Shane then looked up at me.

“You’re Evie?” he asked.

I nodded, smiling at him. “Yeah, why?”

He gulped. “Oh nothing. You were just prettier when you were little,” he said casually as he grabbed some bags and walked off to the car, leaving me to stare at his muscular back.

Shane’s P.O.V.

She’s back. I can’t believe it! She’s back! I wanted to hug her so bad and spin her around. Ever since she left and that accident that happened a few years ago, I haven’t been happy.

But I knew when I saw her, I couldn’t get attached. After all, she was going to my school for senior year. After that, we’d both be heading off to college.

I remember laying on the beach with her, my hand in hers. It was the day before she left. She had promised me she’d find someway to see me again and that if not before college, she’d go to FSU just to see me. But now that she’d seen me before college, would she still go to FSU?

I doubt she would go now considering that I just said she looked prettier when she was little. Honestly, it was the total opposite.

She looked more beautiful than I remember and I didn’t know she could get prettier. So instead of telling her that, I decided to go along with the whole pushing people away thing.

But when she jumped on me, I wasn’t sure if I'd be able to keep up with the act. I just wanted to hug her back so hard.

And seeing that she kept the bracelet on all those years made it even harder. So to cope, I acted like a dick and walked away, carrying the bags.

When I walked back to grab some more bags, I didn’t see her. I looked around and spotted her in line to get some food and drinks.

I could see the side of her face from where she was standing in line. She looked sad and I immediately felt guilty for making her feel that way. She seemed so excited to finally get here and see me and I just pushed her away.