Chapter 13

Chapter 13

"Evie, are you almost ready?" Alex called as he stood outside the bathroom door.

"Just a minute," I called back as I finished curling the last strand of my hair. I then proceeded to fix my eyeliner and mascara before cleaning up the counter and opening the door.

"Ready," I said smiling.

Alex let out a sigh and turned to look at me.

"I was beginning to think-"

He was cut off as he took in my appearance, his eyes going wide.

"Wow.. you look.. amazing!" Alex said.

I stood there in my white sundress that had a thick brown belt wrapped around the middle of it, under my chest.

I had a short brown cardigan on and a pair of brown cowboy boots.

My hair fell past my shoulders in loose curls that framed my face.

I blushed slightly as my cheeks warmed up. "Thanks," I said.

He grabbed my hand and held it as we walked down the stairs.

Just as we reached the bottom, Shane walked out of the kitchen, a can of soda in his hands, headed upstairs.

When he saw me though, he stopped in his tracks, eyeing my up and down.

I bit my lip and averted my gaze to the ground in front of me.

I could feel Alex's gaze on me,wondering if I was okay.

"Evie," Shane spoke clearly. "Can I talk to you for a minute?"

I looked up at him in shock before thinking about it. I mean, isn't that what I've been trying to accomplish since I got here?

I looked at Alex before looking back down at the floor.

"Alex, can you - um... give us a minute?" I asked, not bothering to look at him.

Alex wrapped one arm around my waist and pulled me close to him. Placing a kiss on my forehead, he nodded and said, "Sure. I'll be in the car. Come out when you're ready."

I watched as he let go of me and walked thought the front door before the white piece if wood kept him hidden from my view.

I took a deep breath and turned around to face Shane.

"Evie, I don't mean to hurt you," Shane said, stepping closer until we were a foot apart.

I swallowed before saying, "Yeah, well you still did."

"Evie-"

"What'd you think, Shane?" I ask, my voice now suddenly cold and hard. We were both surprised by it, no doubt.

"What'd you think? That you could come and talk to me and suddenly everything will be alright? Because if you did, then you're wrong."

"Evie, you can't stay with Alex," he said.

"Why not, Shane? Is me being happy disappointing you? I've been dating Alex for two weeks now and I really like him. You had your chance. And you don't make my decisions for me. You don't own me," I spat.

"Oh, really? I don't own you?" He asked.

"No, you don't!"

"Wow, I guess you really have changed, too. I never thought you would break a promise, Evie."

"What promise?"

Shane took a deep breath as he bit his lip, looking away from me.

Then, it all made sense.

That day at the park when I fell. The promise we'd made. That I'd be his and he'd be mine.

I rolled my lips into my mouth, looking down at the bracelets on my wrist.

"Yeah, well, what about when we were five? What about when we were sitting by the pool and promised that we'd always be honest with each other and tell each other everything? Where'd that go?"

Shane stayed silent, looking away.

"Well, excuse me, but I have a date to get to. I hope you have a great day," I said a little too bitterly.

I turned around and headed out the door to Alex's car that was parked in the driveway.

I hopped into the passenger's seat and buckled up.

Alex didn't ask any questions. He just kept one hand rested on my knee and put the radio on. And for that, I couldn't thank him enough.

While listening to a song on the radio, I looked down at my wrist and all the bracelets on it. All of them matched, except for one.

The worn, colorful bracelet that I wore everyday.

But today would be different, I told myself as I pulled it off and placed it in my purse.

Today, I would live without it.

[][][][][]

I tried.

I really, truly, did try so hard not to let it ruin my date but it had.

And I felt extremely bad about it, too. Alex was so kind for continuing to put up with me.

But my conversation with Shane kept replaying in my head.

Shane was right. I had never broken a promise before and I didn't want to. But what do I do? I really like Alex but after that, I don't know.

I can see a future with Shane and I. A beautiful house on the water. We'll have two dogs and a few children. We'll be happy with our lives and won't be able to imagine it any other way.

But when I think about a future with Alex, all I get is a blank piece of paper. Sure, Alex is amazing and really nice, but I can't see a future with him.

And that's when I realize that I really only like Alex as a friend.

Our date was a cute, little picnic on a hill. After we were done eating, we watched the sunset.

I know it probably sounds really cliché but it was actually really fun.

When I returned back home, I headed straight for bed, not at all in the mood to stay up longer or talk to anyone. Especially Shane.

And then I lay in bed thinking about Alex and our future if we did have one. What would it be like? What would our kids look like? Where would we live?

All I came up with once again was a blank piece of paper. After a while of trying, my brain got tired and I passed out right after thinking that I didn't have a future with Alex.

Only Shane.

A/N;

I'm updating! Yayyyyy [: haha I know it's been forever but I've been really busy and you're lucky I'm even giving you this right now.

I, myself, am extremely tired and am about to pass out at any given moment.

So fan, comment, vote<3 thanks!

Also, I know where I'm going with this story now [: ill dedicate the chapter to the person who helped me when I get on my computer.

And also, this book reached 5,000 reads! Yay! I love you all and couldn't have done it without you all! Thank you <3

And lastly, I know it's been out forever but I just watched 'The Vow' today with my friend. It's so sad and sjskxjjdd! Channing Tatum! <3 but I kind of hated the ending. I felt that they should've carried it on a bit longer. And when movies are based on true stories, then you know shits about to go down!

So yeah. Love you all! I have a high school open house to go to tomorrow & check out XD wish me luck!

~Mother Squishy xoxo