Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Eve's P.O.V.

A few minutes before six, I stepped into my house. The smell of lasagna and garlic bread instantly hit my nose and I grinned.

"Smells good," Alex said from beside me.

He was wearing a pair of khaki pants and a light blue t-shirt along with a pair of Nike's. His hair was now tamed, and he had a bright smile on his face.

I chuckled. "I know right."

We walked into the kitchen where my mom was frantically running around, trying to find something as the oven continued to make an obnoxious beeping noise.

"It's in the cabinet on the left of the oven," I said, leaning against the door frame.

She ran over to the cabinet, pulling out the oven mitts and smiling. She then opened the oven and placed the pan on the counter top. Throwing the oven mitts off, she glanced up at us and smiled.

"Mom, this is Alex. Alex, this is my mom," I said, introducing them.

"Please, call me Sandra," she said.

"Okay, well I'm going to go fix myself up. Alex, follow me," I said as we began to climb the stairs.

I took a right at the top of the stairs and walked into my room before freezing as our gazes locked.

"What are you doing in here?" I asked.

He sighed. "Nothing," he replied, a sadness in his tone.

Suddenly, his eyes grew dark and cold as they landed on something behind me. I turned to see Alex looking around my room. Was Shane jealous? No, couldn't be. He probably just hated Alex for some other reason.

"Now, can you get out of my room?" I asked him.

Without a word, he stalked out of my room and into his own, slamming the door shut behind him.

"Eve! Shane! Behave you two!" my mom yelled from downstairs.

I groaned in frustration, slamming my door closed as well before collapsing on my bed, covering my face.

"Is now a bad time?" Alex asked.

I sat up and frowned at him, running a hand over my face.

"No, I'm just really mad because I really need my best friend and now, he's acting like an asshole," I told Alex.

Alex nodded, sitting down on my bed beside me. "How about you get dressed, we'll have dinner, and then, I'll take you out to ice cream or something," Alex told me.

I smiled, looking up at him. "Deal."

We shook hands on it and I laughed.

Thank you, God, for sending me Alex.

[][][][][]

I sat down at the table, Alex on my left.

Shane was across from me, my mom to his right and my dad to Alex's left.

We each served ourselves before starting up conversation.

"So, Alex," my dad began. "Play any sports?"

I nudged Alex under the table with my leg, biting back a laugh because this is exactly the question I told him my dad would ask.

He smiled at my dad and nodded. "Yeah, I play football," he said.

My dad nodded, placing a piece of lasagna in his mouth. After he swallowed, he looked back at Alex.

"Any idea what career you want to pursue?" my dad asked.