Chapter 3

Chapter 3 {EDITED}

There was a knock at the door. I took one ear bud out and yelled, “It’s open!”

A second later, Shane walked through the door, making me smile. My smile vanished when he decided to open his mouth though.

“Your parents asked me to check on you. They also said that I’ll be staying here for a while so you should prepare the guest room for me,” he said.

“You wish,” I spat at him.

He turned around and looked me square in the eye. I gulped but forced myself to keep looking back at him. I saw lots of emotions in his eyes; happiness, anger, hurt, jealousy, and others that I couldn’t distinguish.

Suddenly, I was off of my bed and standing in front of Shane, our faces inches away. But I didn’t once break eye contact.

“Why are you like this?” I asked him, just wanting my best friend back.

“Like what?” he asked, getting closer

“You know what!” I replied.

He turned away, looking outside my balcony.

“Shane,” I said calmly.

He shook his head. “You wouldn’t get it,” he muttered but luckily, I caught it.

“Then help me,” I whispered.

Shane looked at me and just shook his head again. “Just forget about it, Evie.”

He stalked out of my room and down to the guest room, slamming the door behind him.

This was going to be a long year!

[][][]

“So Shane, how’s school?” my dad asked him.

I rolled my eyes, stabbing a piece of my pasta and shoving it in my mouth.

So far, all my parents did was talk about Shane and his life. It was getting really annoying. ‘Shane, any girls yet?’ (my least favorite) ‘Shane, how’s the sports teams doing? Shane, do you still like cobbler?’

Shane this, Shane that. It was all getting old and quick. Why couldn’t Shane ask us something? Like how was California? School? I don’t know. SOMETHING!

“Good, but I think I have a better chance at a sports scholarship,” he said, chuckling.

My parents laughed along with him as I just shoved another piece of pasta into my mouth.

“Shane-” my mom started.

I got up and left the table. “Don’t wait up,” I said before grabbing my cell phone and walking out the door.

I half expected someone - Shane - to care and come after me and then everything would be alright but obviously, this wasn’t a fairytale.

I walked down the street and took a right. As I passed a nice blue colored house with a freshly cut lawn, the front door opened as a guy stepped out. He couldn’t have been much older than me. Heck, he was probably the same age as me.

He turned around, his eyes locking on mine. His eyebrows pulled together in confusion as he continued to stare at me.

I blushed and looked down at my feet, continuing to walk.

“Hey,” the guy said, walking over to me.

I lifted my head to see that he was now next to me, walking in step with me as well. I looked up at him and gave him a small smile.