Chapter 15

Chapter 15

When I arrived home, I was shocked to find it empty. At first I thought my parents might just be sleeping until I realized that their car hadn't been in the drive way.

I shrugged, figuring that they were probably at a friend's house visiting or maybe they stopped by my aunt's house.

I yawned, suddenly tired.

Walking up the steps to my room, I put on a pair of Victoria's Secret yoga pants that had the words 'PINK' on the back of them.

I also grabbed a white tank top and a blue sweatshirt that said 'LOVE PINK' on the back.

I guess you could say I love Victoria's Secret.

Throwing my hair up in a ponytail, I hopped onto my bed and turned the TV on.

'The Vow' was on and since I love that movie and Channing Tatum, I decided to watch it.

Half an hour later, I was about to fall asleep when I heard a noise. The front door opened and I heard soft chatter and footsteps.

In confusion, I stepped out of bed and walked out of my room.

Downstairs, my dad and mom were hoisting Shane up, helping him stand upright.

He's drunk.

My eyes went wide as I slowly walked down the stairs silently.

No one noticed me until I reached the bottom step. My dad had looked over Shane's shoulder at my mom, until his eyes locked on mine.

I stood there frozen. I was scared, honestly. You always here stuff about drunk people being abusive and doing stupid stuff.

When I was little, I used to think that Shane and I wouldn't be like that.

But now I knew that I was the only one that wouldn't be like that.

Shane already was and probably already had been.

"Evie," my dad said, shocked.

My mom's eyes then wandered over to me.

"Sweetie, can you stay right there for a second?" She asked.

Like I had a choice. Even if I wanted to move, I couldn't. I was too scared.

My parents disappeared from view, probably heading to the living room to sit Shane down on the couch.

I took deep breath, trying to calm my heart rate down.

A minute later, my dad walked over to me. "Shane wants to talk to you," he said.

He nodded his head in the direction of the living room.

When I didn't say anything or move, he continued. "He won't hurt you sweetie," he said.

I took a deep breath and nodded, walking into the living room.

If only my dad knew that in order to hurt someone, it doesn't have to be physically. Sometimes mentally and emotionally is worse.

When I walk into the living room, my mom has Shane sitting on the couch.

When she notices that I'm there though, she gives me a small smile and squeezes my shoulder gently as she makes her way out of the room.

"You wanted to talk to me?" I ask.

I don't bother sitting down on the couch. I just stand near the doorway.

Shane doesn't answer me for a while. When I think that he's never going to answer and that I should just walk away, he speaks.

"I'm sorry."