Chapter 28

"Get out before I crush your face, kid", the 50-year old man said with great determination of removing me from his path.

I badly want to explain but my mind is playing dirty tricks on me. Naduduwag ako but I have to fight this feeling for the woman I love, the woman I never want to lose again.

"S-sir. I-I w-was h-here t-to c-check o-n J-Jema. I-I m-mean n-no h-harm", I stuttered while explaining to him. His looks make me perspire more than a whole day strenuous exercise.

"Pa, you're scaring him", a mellow voice from the hospital bed gently gave him a subtle greeting.

"Anak. Kumusta ang prinsesa namin?", her mother burst in full sincerity and concern.

"I-I'm okay, Ma. I just feel tired po", the angel spoke gently again. "Deans, you can leave. May curfew ka eh. Thank you ulit", she smiled weakly and winked at me.

I nodded at her yet I stayed still not to look like a coward walking out empty-handed.

"Tita/Tito before I leave, I just want to tell you that I'm really sorry for what has happened in the past. I know you're mad at me and I deserve that but please let me prove myself to you and Jema for the second time", I bowed while uttering those words.

"Are you really sorry? Do you promise not to hurt our baby again?", his voice exerted much stress this time.

I looked at the lovely fellow lying on the bunk with her alluring gazes piercing my heart. I strolled slowly and kneeled in front of her.

"Jessica Margarett Galanza, I am here to ask for your sincere forgiveness for one more time. I'll accept any kind of punishment you are willing to bestow against me and I'll do any favor that you would ask. I want you and your parents to know that if ever you accept my apology, I will respect your decision. Kung hahayaan mo man akong ipakita ang pagmamahal ko sayo bilang manliligaw o bilang kaibigan, okay lang sa akin ang kahit na ano. I promise never to commit tge same mistake I have done in the past. I promise", I am crying my heart out now. My excitement and fear are combatting inside of me.

And my jaw almost dropped when she stroked my hair while saying this:

"Before I ever knew that we were connected in the past, I had this zoo in my stomach full of animals rebelling when you're near me. I rejected the feeling, I kept it at the back of my hypothalamus that even Ate Lyn did not know. I was protecting my self, protecting you as well. I wanted to make sure that this is not because of pity or the what if's buried in the past. Binaling ko kay Fhen pero hindi pala ganon mag-work ang mga bagay-bagay. Maybe it's destiny that we're here. Maybe it's the heavens telling us to try harder this time and so I'm accepting the challenge and I'll start by forgiving you in front of my parents"

She hugged me and uttered the words I have been dying to hear.

"I love you too"

I can't contain the overflowing joy of everything that's happening in here. I pinched my self just to know if this is reality or fantasy.

"Hindi ka nananaginip, hija", sabi sa akin ng mama ni Jema habang hinahaplos ang likod ko.

"Thank you po, Tita. Thank you po sa pagtitiwala niyo ulit", napaiyak na lamang ako ngunit ang ngiti ko sa labi ay hindi na mawaksi habang niyayakap ko siya.

"Oh tama na 'to. Umuwi ka na bata. Kami na ang bahala dito", maluha-luhang nagsalita ang kaniyang ama.

"Opo Tito. Maraming salamat po. Babalik po ako agad", sagot ko habang nagpupunas na rin ng luha.

"Ingat ka", sambit ng pinakamamahal kong dilag.

Lumapit ako sa kaniya at hinalikan ang kaniyang noo.

"Pahinga ka na. Mag-iingat ako"

Nagpaalam na ako sa kanilang lahat at excited na umuwi. Wala na akong pakialam kung bigyan man ako ng punishment, ang mahalaga alam kong mahal niya na rin ako. Natutunan niya pa rin akong mahalin.