Chapter 29

A month ago, we were just getting pressured by the fans out there, but those days were gone. We landed 5th place but it's not that bad.
DLSU protected their crown while Ateneo failed to snatch it landing on the 2nd spot. UP got the 3rd place and FEU on the 4th rank. Everyone is now focusing on the new chapter of their lives especially because another milestone had been achieved during the past few days.

"It was really nice of you to have a despidida party for me, coach", I smiled and had a taste of cold beer.

"Well, as they say, if you can't beat them join them", she told me and offered a toss.

"Shall we join the team?", I asked her while looking amazed at my hotty coach.

We're still in the kitchen and everybody except us is on the garden waiting for the announcement.

"I guess we should", she smiled at me and led the way.

"Ayan na pala sila eh!", excited na bungad samin ni Jema Galanza na nakaupo sa wheelchair.

After my visit on her, I decided not to talk to her in private anymore. We did small talks but only with the presence of our teammates because I doubt if I can control my feelings for her. It's better this way tho. She had been really happy by the way, Deanna has been courting her after the season and they make a cute couple. It's painful for me to stand the fact that with 6-7 months of being with Jema, I have never made her that happy but I'm in peace because I see that she chose the right person.

"Coach! Magtatampo na kami. You've been too close to Fhen. There's really something fishy with the both of you", Ate L pouted and laughed with her hilarious idea.

"Oo nga po, Coach. Tell us, are you planning to date her?", a silly idea popped up of Ate Lyn's mind.

I can't blame them. After visiting Jema that night, I was drinking myself to sleep in this same garden a month ago. Coach Air was there to interrogate me and she also decided to agree with my decision that we're planning to announce now.

"Ano ba kasing okasyon? Busog na kaming lahat dito eh", Jema uttered with a bit of disappointment.

I drank the beer I'm holding and savored until the very last drop before heading to the stage we set up.

"Hi everyone!", I told them in a very cheerful manner.

"Hi!", they all said in chorus.

All of us laughed and got hold of our aching tummies.

"Today is a very important day for me", I continued but the smile and the lively tone dispersed. Everyone listened. No one dared to speak or make fun of their seatmates.

"Because I, Fhen Emnas, your setter, is signing off as part of Adamson soaring falcons", I smiled bitterly.

There had been a commotion but Coach Air calmed everyone down. Some of my teammates started crying and some started to look shock.

"That day when we lost to our 2nd opponent which is  UST, I already knew that I can't fight a stronger battle. May injury na ako no'n sa left hand ko because of an accident during the training. I can't set the ball the way I want to therefore, Jema had to suffer because of me. Yung last games natin pinilit kong gawin ang best ko. I-i d-did i-it t-to m-make a-all o-of y-you p-proud", my tears started flowing on my face added by the sweat because I'm not used to spotlights "I want all of you to know that I really enjoyed being with you. Kayo yung pinaka-solid na team at family na maituturing. Thank you for accepting me, salamat sa warm welcomes, salamat sa lahat-lahat but I must say that I'm closing this chapter of my life. May offer sakin sa ibang bansa ang tito ko to treat me mentally and physically. Sana pagbalik ko, mas matapang na falcons ang uwian ko", I walked down of the stage at sinalubong silang lahat na humahagulhol na sa kaiiyak.

We remained that way for a long while and they all decided to let me breathe. I approached the little fella who's been dying to ask me questions by the looks on her eyes then I kneeled in front of her.

"Aalis lang ako, hindi pa ako mamamatay", I told her habang pinupunasan ang mga luha niya.

"A-ang daya mo eh!", mahina niyang pinalo ang chest ko habang umiiyak pa rin.

"I'm sorry that I can't be there for you sa mga susunod na seasons ha? Pero alam kong may taong susuporta sayo kahit falcon ka at eagle siya", I smiled sweetly at her habang hinahawi ang buhok niya.

"Isa ba yun sa reasons kung bakit ka aalis? Be honest", she stared at me blankly waiting for my response.

"Ayoko ng masaktan, Je. If I stay here baka mabaliw lang ako eh. Alam kong masaya ka na dahil finally nagkabuhay ang dream mo, literally. Hindi ako ang sisira sa kaligayahan na meron ka. I want to be happy for you but I can't be happy with you. Ako na ang lalayo dahil sapaw lang ako sa kwento niyong dalawa", mapait akong ngumiti habang kinocomfort siya.

"Fhen, I value you. Ayaw na ayaw kong nasasaktan ka ng dahil sakin kaya patawarin mo ako dahil naging selfish ako. I'm sorry na naging paasa ako. Believe me, I tried. I tried to look at you more than a friend", tuluy-tuloy lang siya sa pag-iyak at pagpunas ng luha niya.

"I believe you, Je pero this is it, this is reality. There's no you and me just you and her. Masakit pero titiisin ko, ganito kita kamahal kaya sana maging masaya ka. Sana pasayahin ka niya everyday of your life", I gave her a long hug and drank another glass of beer after the drama.

"Kailan ka aalis?", tanong niya matapos niyang mahimasmasan.

"Now", I told her after realizing that the cab is approaching.

"Good bye, everyone! I love you all"

We shared the last group hug and parted ways.

"We'll see each other again", I told everybody while pinning my sight on Jema Galanza.