Chapter 2 (i) - Jadine

--- JADINE ---

Jadine stared at her frazzled reflection and wondered how many other girls had stood there that morning.  She imagined they’d felt a whole lot better than she did.  After pushing a double buggy through the streets of Hackney, struggling on not one, but two buses, to get to Covent Garden and then wrangling with Sherri Holt’s assistant – she felt more like a harassed teen-mum than a budding popstar. 

Jadine took a deep breath and tried to push all thoughts of her stress-filled morning out of her mind.  As she patted some powder on her nose and adjusted her clothes, she thought that actually, she looked pretty good.  Bold, fresh and sparky – just like she did when she was singing backing vocals for her long-time friend and musical buddy, Lyric.

Lyric was always on at her to dress sexier – which she knew really meant dress sluttier.  But Jadine had no intention of getting her kit off to get noticed – she wanted her voice to do the talking.  She’d also resisted Lyric’s suggestion that she drape herself across him a bit more during his set.  If he wanted a lap dance, he could go to a club.  She’d had enough of being a backing singer or eye-candy dancer for the male rappers and crews who dominated the East London music scene where she’d grown up.  She wanted to be part of something that would empower girls – and where better to do that than in a girl group with a hot-shot female manager. 

Lena poked her head round the door.  “Miss Holt will see you now.” 

Jadine took one last look at her reflection and headed to the audition room.  After the initial introductions, she felt surprisingly calm and was looking forward to showing Sherri Holt and the rest of the panel what she could do.  This was her big chance and nothing was going to screw it up for her.

“Waahhhhh!  Waaaaahhhhhh!!  Waaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!”

“What on earth is that?” asked Sherri.

Jadine and Lena shared a look.

“Has someone brought a baby to the audition?”

Jadine wanted the ground to swallow her up.

“Lena?  Is there a baby out in reception?” asked Sherri.

To her credit, Lena didn’t grass her up, but Jadine knew what she had to do. 

“They’re mine,” she said.

You’ve got a baby?” asked Sherri.

“Two,” said Jadine.

Two?!” exclaimed Derren.

“Well, actually, they’re my sisters’,” said Jadine.  Then out tumbled the whole sorry story – although in it Alesha was transformed from a drug-addled monged-out mess, into a caring mum who just happened to have an appendicitis that morning. 

To Jadine’s shock, Sherri stood up and said, “Bring them in.  I want to see them.”

“Really?” said Jadine.

“Really.”

Jadine had read in the gossip mags that Sherri Holt and her TV-chef husband, James Holland, had been trying for a baby for a while, so she supposed she shouldn’t be surprised she’d be interested in them.  So Jadine went out and wheeled in Bobby and Theo.

“Ooh, aren’t they adorable?” cooed Sherri.

Jadine could tell that Derren McKenzie and Tony Ward didn’t think so, especially as Theo was still screaming his head off, but they smiled politely anyway.

“I think Theo’s hungry,” said Jadine, rooting around in the baby bag and digging out a bottle of milk.

“Can I feed him?” asked Sherri.

“Sure,” said Jadine, passing her the bottle, not quite believing that popstar Sherri Holt, was about to feed her nephew.

As soon as Theo was ensconced in Sherri’s arms and happily sucking on his bottle, Sherri asked Jadine what she was going to sing.

“Lauryn Hill’s Everything is Everything,” replied Jadine.  It was one of her favourite songs, by one of her favourite artists.  Lauryn Hill promoted positivity yet didn’t compromise – for anyone.  But Jadine knew it was a gamble.  It wasn’t a song with any vocal gymnastics, but she figured that lots of girls would be showing-off like that, so she wanted to keep it simple and soulful.  Plus it allowed her to showcase her rapping skills.

Lena started the track and for the second time that morning, Jadine took a moment to prepare.  This was her moment to show Sherri Holt what a talented and relevant young artist she was.  But when she looked up, she saw Sherri cooing over Theo.  Was this for real? 

Jadine knew she’d have to raise her game if she wasn’t to be upstaged by her baby nephew.  So when it came to the rap, she changed the lyrics…

You can’t match this rapper / auntie

More powerful than two babysitters

Bomb my audition, with an infant filled rendition

Tho’ Sherri is ready, to help me change a nappy

The guys ain’t sure, I can tell they’re not too happy

Derren and Tony shared a look and everyone laughed, so Jadine carried on...

Now see this wild stare

Where hip hop meets childcare

Give Jay Rey a chance to escape this nightmare.

At the end everyone applauded and Jadine wanted to hug her little nephews - they didn’t even know it, but they’d helped her deliver an unforgettable audition.