Chapter 13 (i) - Kat

--- KAT ---

“He looks dead,” said Kat quietly.

“He’s in a coma,” said Dani.

Kat looked at her papa’s lifeless body attached to the life support machine.  His hair was flecked with more grey since she’d last seen him and he had the beginnings of a beard.

“Tell me again what happened,” said Kat.

Dani, who’d leapt up to hug Kat when she first arrived, returned to the plastic chair next to the hospital bed.

“He was leaving the Polish club, when a group of lads jumped him.”

“Why?” asked Kat.

Dani looked embarrassed.  “He’d been mouthing off at them earlier.”

Why wasn’t Kat surprised.

“So they deliberately attacked him?” asked Kat.

“They’re saying it was an accident,” said Dani forlornly.  “Apparently they only meant to give him a scare, but he fell over and banged his head.  He was unconscious so they called an ambulance.”

Dani started to cry.  Kat knew she should do the same.  Knew she should feel angry, sad or worried.  But she only felt relief.  Relief that she could be in the same room as her papa and not feel scared.  Relief that he’d had finally gotten what he deserved.

“How long will he be like this?”

“The doctors don’t know,” said Dani.  “They’re running tests and he’s had a scan.  They think he’s suffered internal brain damage, but they don’t know what exactly.”

Kat looked at her younger sister.

“How have you been?” asked Kat.

“Worried sick,” said Dani.

“I meant before this,” said Kat.

Dani looked away. 

“Dani, tell me what happened with Lucas,” said Kat, kneeling in front of her sister.  “Did he really fall off the banister?”

“Yes,” hissed Dani.

“Really?” insisted Kat.

“Kat, papa might die!” shouted Dani.  “We need to focus on him right now!”

Kat looked at Andrezj lying in the hospital bed.  The last time she’d been to this hospital was because he’d had stabbed poor Tomasz.  Now here he was fighting for his life. 

“Where are Lucas and Stefan?” asked Kat.

“With Auntie Vi,” said Dani, sullenly.  “She said she’d stay with us.  And that social worker has already called me.  So you might as well hurry back to London.”

“Don’t be like that,” said Kat.

“Like what?” snapped Dani.  “You clearly don’t want to be here.”

“I’ve come haven’t I?”

Dani pursed her lips before saying, “You don’t know what it’s been like for us.”

“I’ve called everyday,” said Kat.  “I only know what you tell me.  So what don’t I know, Dani?  What’s he been doing?  Has he hurt Lucas?  Has he hurt you?”

“No,” said Dani.  “Well, not on purpose.  He misses mama and you, that’s all.”

Kat felt the familiar anger bubble up inside her.