3 (v) - Kat

--- KAT ---

Katya quietly opened the door to her brothers’ bedroom.  Stefan and Lucas were both sound asleep and looked like little angels – totally different to how they looked when they were awake.  Then she crept into the dark bedroom that she shared with her younger sister, Daniela. 

“Where have you been?” whispered Dani, frantically.

“I told you, I went to London,” said Kat, slowly peeling off her jacket and wearily sitting on her bed.

“Until this time of night?”

Kat looked at the clock which showed 10.15pm.  She hadn’t been able to face coming straight home after the debacle on the train.  She’d sent Dani numerous texts saying she was fine and then she’d hung out at the library and then McDonald’s, until she’d finally decided that it was time to face the music.

“Where’s Papa?” she asked.

“Where do you think?” said Dani, switching on her bedside lamp.

Without needing to be told, Kat knew he was at the local Polish club.  Probably downing pints and shots of vodka until he staggered home in the wee small hours.

“He went mental when I told him you’d gone,” said Dani.

“He didn’t hurt any of you, did he?” asked Kat, genuinely concerned.

“No, but we’re all grounded for a month, and we had to go straight to bed after dinner.  Thanks for that,” said Dani.

“Sorry,” said Kat ruefully.

“You’re grounded for a year,” smiled Dani, pulling up her knees to her chest and hugging them.  “So, was it worth it?”

Kat wanted to say that it had been a complete and utter waste of time, but looking at her 13 year old, wide-eyed sister, who was desperate for a tale of adventure and excitement she said, “Yes, it was fantastic.  I got to hang out with Sherri Holt and we talked about music and song-writing.”

“What was she wearing?” asked Dani excitedly.

“I think she was wearing a Victoria Beckham dress, and she definitely had a Prada handbag,” said Kat.  Dani was massively into fashion and saved her meager pocket money for any choice vintage items she could pick up in charity shops.  Her dream was to become Kat’s stylist when she was a rich and famous singer.

“And did she like you?” asked Dani.

“I think so,” said Kat, putting on her pyjamas.  “But there were lots of other girls there so it just depends on what she’s looking for.  I think I’m a bit too weird-looking.”

“Stop it.  You’re beautiful,” smiled Dani.  “I bet you’ll get in.  I can feel it.”

Kat turned away to fold her clothes, determined that Dani wouldn’t see the look of shame that swept across her face.

Just then the girls heard the back door slam shut.

“He’s back early,” croaked Dani fearfully.

The girls froze to the spot, until they heard Andrzej shout, “Has the wanderer returned, eh?  Is she back yet?”

“You stay here,” said Kat to her sister.  She quickly raced down the stairs, before her Papa woke the whole street, although they were probably used to his yelling by now.

“Ah, here you are,” shouted Andrzej, as Kat came into the kitchen, the stone cold floor sending a shiver through her bare feet.

“Sshh, Papa,” she said sternly.  “The boys are asleep.”