11 (v) - Kat

--- KAT ---

Kat took a deep breath of fresh air – well, as fresh as it could be with a gaggle of smokers stood nearby.  Kat was outside The Jar Cross, the dingiest club in Camden, having a moment to herself before the show.  She had a feeling this was going to be their worst gig ever.  The band was on the verge of a break-up or break-down, she wasn’t sure which yet. 

Amy was still adamant that she was leaving.  Molly had been in tears after an emotional phone call with her sister.  Rhian had convinced her mum to let her stay until the Festival but she was still upset about something.  Lena had been frantically trying to find them some cheap accommodation until the situation with Amy was resolved.  And Jadine seemed generally annoyed with everyone.

Kat knew she wasn’t on top form either – she was still thrown by Lena’s attempt to ‘out’ her in the bar last night.  Kat had always known that she wasn’t particularly attracted to boys, but figured that she’d grow into them once she found one she really liked.  It wasn’t as if she was obsessed with girls either.  Until recently she hadn’t even hung out with them that much. 

But then she’d met Lena.  Kat had been drawn to her, intrigued by her, wanted to spend time with her – whatever, but that didn’t mean that she was a lesbian.  Did it?  Kat didn’t know what to think anymore. 

She was also concerned about what was going on back home.  She hadn’t spoken to Dani for three days, so she’d called her Auntie Vi instead, who’d told her everything was fine at home, apart from Lucas going to hospital with a broken arm.

“How did he break it?” Kat had asked frantically.

“Your papa said he fell off the banister,” said Vi.  “Don’t worry so much Katya.  Little boys are always climbing things and having accidents.”

If Vi had been talking about Stefan, then Kat would have been reassured – he was always clambering over everything – but little Lucas was different.  He was scared to go down the slide without someone holding his hand, why would he be climbing up the banister?  Something didn’t feel right.

Just then Lena appeared.  “Hey, how you doing?”

“Fine,” said Kat, in a non-committal tone.

“I get the feeling you’re ignoring me today,” said Lena, cutting to the chase.

“No,” said Kat.  “There’s a lot going on that’s all.”

“Damn right there is,” said Lena.  “I haven’t been able to find anywhere affordable for you all to stay yet.  You may end up crashing on my couch.  Which I imagine wouldn’t thrill you.”

“Why?” asked Kat.

“Well, you scooted out of the bar pretty quick last night,” smiled Lena.  “Did Alice and I shock you?”

“No,” lied Kat.  “I had to get back, that’s all.”

“Look, I’m sorry if I jumped to the wrong conclusion about you,” added Lena.

Kat pretended to be preoccupied with ‘people-watching’.

Did I jump to the wrong conclusion?” probed Lena.

“What do you want me to say?” snapped Kat.  “That I’m a raging lesbian?”

“Well, I wouldn’t put it quite like that…”

“Because I don’t know, alright?” shot back Kat.

“And that’s okay, too,” said Lena.  “Look, I didn’t want to make you feel bad.  I just wanted you to know that if you ever need anyone to talk about it, I’m here.  I have firsthand experience of dealing with it,” she smiled.  “I came out, when I was 17 so…”