Chapter 4 (i) - Amy

Amy

Amy eyed up the other girls in the rehearsal room – the same room they’d all had their auditions in three weeks ago.  Judging by first impressions, Sherri Holt had assembled a pretty good mix.  There was a pretty-looking, sweet, blonde one (who Amy remembered from the day of the auditions) – Rhian; a funky one with bags of sass – Jadine; a typical ‘girl next door’ – Molly; and of course a sexy one – herself!  The only one she wasn’t sure about was the 5th member – Olivia Gordon-Webb or as Amy preferred to call her, the hoity-toity one.

Given that it was the first day of rehearsals Amy thought it was poor form for Olivia to not only be late, but to not even be bothered about it!  She’d blithely glided in, Starbucks latte in one hand, Mulberry handbag in the other, smiled sweetly, made some sort of excuse about Lena giving her the wrong time, air-kissed Sherri and Derren and then finally perched herself on a chair.

Amy saw Jadine roll her eyes and they’d shared a smirk.  She’d seen Olivia’s type before - a spoilt little madam used to being the star of the show.  Well she’d be in for a shock.  Before Olivia’s big entrance, Sherri had been outlining her vision for the group - everyone would be given the chance to showcase their strengths, but there wouldn’t be any lead singers.  For the benefit of Olivia, Sherri went over it again.

“You’ve all got bags of talent, otherwise you wouldn’t be here,” she said.  “And you’ve all got something unique and special; something that made you stand out at the auditions.” 

Amy could feel Derren’s eyes on her and as she looked up, he gave her a surreptitious wink.  Over the last three weeks, he’d certainly given her the impression that she was pretty special.  Their on/off relationship had most definitely been ‘on’ – although they’d both agreed that they should cool it now they’d be working together with the band.  Amy didn’t want to jeopardise what could finally be her big break.

“But equally,” continued Sherri, “we don’t have room for any ego’s.  I know what it takes to be successful in a girl-group.  Hard work, more hard work and, just when you think you can take a break - even more hard work.”

Take a shot of that with your caramel latte Miss Hoity-Pants thought Amy, as she looked over at Olivia, who was now scutinising her perfectly manicured nails.  Was she even listening?

“But hopefully it will be the start of a great adventure for us all.  I’m really excited about managing a girl group and I’m convinced you can make it all the way to the top!”

The girls couldn’t help but cheer.  Even Olivia cracked some sort of smile.

“Now, I don’t want your first day to totally overwhelming, so let’s take today to get to know each other and then Lena will take you to the house I’ve organised for you.”

Amy was pleased that she wouldn’t have to worry about paying rent for a while and she was even looking forward to sharing with the other girls.  Hopefully they’d be able to gel quicker and rehearse more often if they lived together.

“Will we have our own rooms?” chirped up Olivia.

“There are three bedrooms in the house,” said Lena.  “So one of you will be on your own.”

“I don’t mind sharing,” said Molly. 

“Me neither,” said Amy, deliberately looking at Olivia as she said it.

“Or me,” said Jadine.

“I want to share,” said Rhian.  “After living in a houseful of boys, I can’t wait.  I bet none of you lot stink of sweaty trainers or Pot Noodle.”

Everyone, except Olivia, chuckled.  Whatever Rhian said seemed ten times funnier because of her adorable Welsh accent.  She was just like a character out of Gavin & Stacey.

“I’ll take the single room then,” said Olivia.

Amy and Jadine shared another look.

“Then tomorrow morning,” said Sherri, “you’ll start rehearsing with Derren.”

Derren stepped forward and gave a cheeky salute.  “Don’t worry, I won’t work you too hard.”  Then he fixed Molly with his steely gaze, raised one of his sexy brows and said, “At first.”

Amy had to look away.  Of course, she didn’t expect Derren to flirt with her – there was no way they wanted their secret romance (or whatever it was!) to get rumbled, but did he really have to be so brazen with one of the other girls? 

“I’m sure we can handle it,” said Molly adopting a friendly, yet teacherly tone.  She clearly wasn’t phased by Derren McKenzie’s sexy stare.  Amy expected him to come back with some sort of cheeky retort, but to her surprise he didn’t. 

“So what will we be rehearsing?” asked Jadine.  “We don’t have any songs yet.”

“To begin with,” said Sherri, “I want you to do some covers…”

Amy could tell Jadine was not impressed with that idea.  Sherri could clearly tell the same.

“…just to get used to performing together and then you’ll spend time with Tony Ward, writing some new material.”

“I think it sounds like a great idea,” said Olivia.

You would, thought Amy.

“And then our focus will be working towards doing an industry showcase in six weeks time,” said Sherri.

“Will we have to sing then?” asked Rhian anxiously.

Was Rhian for real?  Of course they’d have to sing!

Sherri smiled gently, “yes, but don’t worry Rhian.  You’ll have had lots of practice together before then.  You’ll be great.”

“Who’ll be at the showcase?” asked Amy.  She’d performed at these things before – depending on who was in the room, they could make or break a fledging career just like that.

“Well, I do have a few contacts,” laughed Sherri, stating the obvious.  “So there’ll be a number of record company execs, but hopefully they’ll just be window dressing.  Glenn Davies, the Head of Riva Records, has said he’ll take you on – providing you’re good enough.  Which you will be.”

Riva Records?  Amy knew that was Sherri’s old label.  She must have made them millions back in the day, and now she was obviously calling in a favour.  Although they weren’t the biggest label out there, Riva Records were still a significant player.  With a label like them behind the group, they’d definitely go places.

“So, let’s take a 10 minute break,” said Sherri. 

“Erm, could we make it 15?” said Olivia.  “I need to make a phone call and it might take a while.”

Was Sherri really going to let this diva behavior continue?

“Well, as it’s the first day…” said Sherri.

Clearly she was.  Amy tried not to let it bother her, instead she concentrated on the fact that in six weeks time, she might have a record deal with Riva Records.  But there was a lot of work to do between now and then.  A hell of a lot of work!