2 (v) - Molly

--- MOLLY ---

“So how did you two meet?” asked Derren McKenzie with a smile.

There wasn’t a ‘twins joke’ Molly hadn’t heard before.  And that one was the least original of all.

“When you look in the mirror do you think you’re looking at your sister?” chuckled Tony Ward.

And that one was the least funny of all!

“They’re not identical,” sighed Sherri. 

Although they looked similar, Molly was thankful they weren’t identical – then the fascination would have been ten times worse.  Plus Georgia had dyed her chestnut hair blonde, whilst Molly had kept her brunette locks.  They also had slightly different physiques; though Molly was slim, she was slightly curvier than her sister.  Fortunately, all the dancing she did kept her trim.

“Ignore them,” said Sherri, relegating the guys to the role of naughty schoolboys.  “After so many auditions, they’re going slightly delirious.” 

Sherri threw both the guys a stern look forcing them to compose themselves.  Molly knew she and Georgia would have to work extra hard to hold everyone’s attention.

“So,” said Sherri.  “Tell us about yourselves.”

“We’ve studied tap and modern dance, and had singing lessons since we were six years old,” said Georgia.  “Our teacher says we’re naturals.”

“Who’s your teacher?” asked Sherri.

“Miss Gomersal,” said Georgia.  “At the Gomeral Theatre & Dance Academy.  Moll, teaches there now.”

They’d probably heard stories like that a hundred times already this morning.  Molly knew they had to inject some life and humour if Georgia was going to stand out.

“I teach the little ones,” said Molly.  “You should see them the first time they wear a tutu. They think they’ve died and gone to Fairy Princess heaven.”

“I remember that feeling,” smiled Sherri.

“Me, not so much,” said Derren.

“I dunno,” said Molly.  “I can see you in some pink leggings and a tiara.”

“Were you stalking Derren last Saturday night?” asked Tony with a smile.

“He wishes,” laughed Molly.

“He probably does actually,” chuckled Sherri, sharing in the joke. 

Molly turned to Georgia, encouraging her to join in, but she just stood there looking a little put out.

“So, what are you going to sing for us?” asked Sherri.

Be My Baby by The Ronettes.” said Georgia quickly. 

“Interesting,” smiled Sherri.

Keen to show the judges they weren’t just going to do a copycat version of the classic song, Molly added, “But we’ve…I mean Georgia’s reworked it - so it’s a dance version.” 

Georgia shot her a look, and Molly didn’t need to be her twin to know it meant shut the hell up!  Molly obliged but hoped the panel hadn’t clocked it.

Georgia nodded to Lena to start their CD and the girls got into their first positions.  Molly gave Georgia a ‘good luck’ wink but only got a half-hearted smile in return.

The music kicked in and the girls launched into their number.  Molly had choreographed the routine so it favoured Georgia, but even so she couldn’t help noticing that Derren wouldn’t stop looking at her.  Molly already had him pegged as a total player and directed most of her performance towards Sherri and Tony, but they seemed to be fixated on her too. 

This wasn’t good.  Wasn’t good at all.  They were meant to be looking at Georgia.  She was the one up front.  She was the one with most of the lyrics and the showy moves.  Molly tried to tone down what she was doing but years of giving everything she did 100%, meant even when she took it down to 80%, she was still on fire.

Molly could see Georgia getting flustered.  Instead of enjoying the routine, she was forcing it.  Her moves weren’t flowing and she was missing the beat.  When she faltered over a lyric and lost her way, Molly came to her rescue.  She picked up the line, until Georgia got back on track. 

Somehow Georgia got through the rest of the number and they finished with an ‘arms in the air’ flourish, but Georgia only held the pose for a second.  It took Molly a second to realise, then she quickly followed suit.  She looked across to see Georgia glowing beet-red with her eyes firmly fixed on the floor.  As the panel shared ‘a look’, Molly decided to take matters into her own hands.

“Can I just say Georgia’s a great performer and I think me being here may have messed things up.  So maybe she could…”

Sherri stopped her.  “Look, this hard because you’re sisters but...Molly, could you sing for us on your own?”

Molly thought she must have misheard.  Sing on her own?  This wasn’t how it was supposed to go. 

“No,” she cried.  “Look, it’s Georgia who wants to be a popstar.  I don’t even want to be here.”

“Even so,” said Tony.  “You are here and we’d like to hear you sing again.”

“Just you,” added Derren.

“No,” muttered Molly.  “I can’t.

“It’s alright Moll,” said Georgia. “You should do it.”  Then she promptly turned and ran out of the room

“I’m, I’m sorry,” stumbled Molly.  “I’m not interested.”

“If she wasn’t your sister,” said Derren.  “Would you?

“But she is,” said Molly, quickly gathering up her stuff from the side of the room. 

She was surprised when Sherri got up and came over.  “Listen Molly, by the end of today I’ll have seen 70 girls and right now only a handful of them stick in my mind.  You’re one of them.”

“I know you say you came in here to support your sister,” said Derren.  “But if you’re telling us you’re happy teaching little girls how to pirouette and sing Incy Wincy Spider, then...”

“Don’t knock my job,” said Molly rounding on Derren. “I enjoy teaching kids.” 

“Molly, with your looks and talent, you could make a lot of money in this business,” said Derren. 

“There’s more to life than money,” snapped Molly.

Undeterred, Sherri lowered her voice and held her gaze.  “Molly, just make sure you’re doing what you love.”  

Molly faltered – she knew hundreds of girls would die for an opportunity like this.  It was one thing for her mum and dad to say she was talented, but here was Sherri Holt saying it!  Sherri had lived the dream already and knew what she was talking about.  Molly wondered if maybe she should sing a quick song on her own - just to see what they’d say.  She was about cave in, when she suddenly thought about Georgia.

 “I’ve told you my answer,” she said, then turned and raced after her sister.