14 (v) - Amy

--- AMY ---

"So we want to work with Sherri and Lena," said Molly to the assembled group at Riva Records' HQ.

"I already suggested Lena come back as my assistant," said Sherri. "But she refused."

"Too right, I did," said Lena.

Amy wasn't surprised Lena had been insulted by the offer. To go from band manager to band manager's assistant would be tough for anyone.

"We have a different role in mind for Lena," said Jadine.

"Go on," urged Glenn, intrigued.

Amy broke the news. "We want Lena to be our A&R Manager."

Molly had presented her brilliant idea to the girls that morning.

"What's an A&R Manager?" asked Rhian.

"A&R work for the record company and are responsible for scouting new talent," said Jadine.

"But once an artist is signed to a label," added Kat, "an A&R Manager develops and nurtures them and oversees their material."

"Basically," said Amy, "they're creative people with good business skills, a solid understanding of the music scene and an instinct of what will sell."

"That sounds like Lena," said Rhian.

"Exactly!" said Molly.

The girls all shared an excited look.

"So she'd be employed by Riva Records?" asked Rhian.

"Yes," said Molly.

"Will Lena go for that?"

"I don't know," said Molly. "But it would be a fantastic job and she'd still get to work with us."

"Will Glenn go for that?" asked Amy.

"If he wants us badly enough he will," said Jadine. "Molly, it's a brilliant idea. Let's put it him at the start of the meeting."

"What if he says no?" asked Rhian.

"Then I'm sorry," said Molly, "but my vote would be to stick with Lena and find ourselves another record company who'll let us do what we want. Even if it's a small indie label."

Amy wasn't impressed with that scenario.

As Glenn Davies pondered over their suggestion, Amy realised they were going to have to work a little harder to convince him. What would her dad do in this situation? He was a pro at negotiating tricky business deals - he could probably sell ice to the Eskimos. It was then she remembered something she'd heard him say during her time at Carpet Magic. "Be prepared to walk away. If you don't value your product then no one else will." Maybe her stint working there would prove useful after all.

"Mr Davies, if you don't take on Lena, then we walk, simple as that," said Amy. "We want the best people on our side and Lena is the best."

"Lena believed in us when other people didn't," said Jadine, casting a glance over at Sherri.

"And there's no way we'd have got through this last week without her," said Rhian.

"Or the last few months," added Kat.

"She's part of Melody 5 too," said Molly.

Glenn gave a small smile. "Loyalty - I like it."

Amy wondered if there was going to be a 'but..."

"I think it's a great idea!" said Glenn. "Always happy to have a talented addition to my team. Are you up for it, Lena?"

"I sure am," said Lena.