6 (v) - Kat

--- KAT ---

Kat wondered what the girls who had got into Sherri's band were doing right now? She was certain none of them were in a hospital corridor waiting to visit someone their father had stabbed.

It had been a week since the attack and it was only now that Maria had said Tomasz was well enough to receive visitors. Kat was desperate to tell him how sorry she was about her papa's appalling behaviour - although Maria had warned her not to go on about it; she didn't want Tomasz getting upset.

Kat also wanted to thank him for not pressing charges against her papa. When Tomasz had finally come around after the attack, he'd told the police that the stabbing had been an accident. That he'd been trying to help Andrzej up from the floor, when he'd slipped on the broken glass and landed on the knife in Andrzej's hand. Although Kat thought his gallant decision to protect Andrzej was a mixed blessing - maybe it would have been better for everyone if Andrzej had been arrested. As it was, he was staying at Auntie Vi's while Kat and the children stayed at home. Auntie Vi thought it would be best if everyone had some space after the traumatic events of last week.

And so it had been left to Kat to deal with Lucas' recurring nightmares about their papa flying in a violent rage and stabbing faceless men. It had been left to Kat to manage visits from social workers who she had to reassure that she was more than capable of looking after herself and her younger siblings until her papa "got over the terrible shock of the accident." And if was left to Kat bear the whispered pointing of fingers and raised eyebrows as she dropped the boys off at school and hurried to College, where rumours about the attack were also circulating wildly. One rumour was that her papa was a Polish gangster who was seeking vengeance for a bad-debt. Another was that he'd been trying to kill the man who'd got her pregnant and was refusing to marry her!

Kat tried to keep her head down and rise above it all. All of it was nothing compared to the absolute loathing and despair she felt when Auntie Vi had insisted she speak with her papa. Kat had refused for days, but she'd had no choice when he'd turned up on the doorstep with Auntie Vi and she'd insisted Kat let them in.

As she'd expected Andrzej was full of contrite apologies and tales of how he would give up drinking and be different. Kat wanted to be sick. How did he honestly think she could forgive him after a stunt like that? However, it seemed she might not have a choice. Auntie Vi had told her that Andrzej couldn't stay at her place forever - he'd have to move back home eventually. Kat bristled at the thought of him entering their home again. She knew his return would be too much for poor little Lucas to bear.

She thought about what the social worker had said about them all being taken into care if Kat couldn't cope. Maybe that would be for the best. Maybe she should initiate that before Andrzej's return so they could all be taken to a safe place. One far away from their despicable papa.

"The ward's open now," said a nurse. "You can go in and see your friend."

Kat hoped that Tomasz did still consider her a friend.

As she walked into the ward, she was relieved to see Tomasz's face smiling at her as she approached.

"Hey Kat," he said. "Good to see you."

"Really?" she asked.

"Really," he said.

Kat gave a weak smile and tentatively sat on the chair next to his bed.

"Are those for me?" asked Tomasz, nodding towards the grapes and X-Men comics Kat was holding - he was always reading them on his break at the café.

"Oh, yes. I'll put them here," said Kat as she placed them on his little bedside table.

Tomasz looked pale and much thinner than she remembered, but then he probably hadn't eaten much, given that he'd recently been stabbed in the stomach!

"Maria said you were coming," smiled Tomasz.

"I wanted to come sooner but..." Kat trailed off. She didn't want to broach what had happened straight away, for fear of upsetting him.

"Don't worry," said Tomasz. "I know."

It was no good. Kat wanted to respect Maria's wishes, but she just couldn't keep it in.

"Tomasz, I'm sorry about my papa. I'm sorry what he did to you. I'm sorry I'm even related to him," cried Kat. For the first time since it had happened, Kat felt a flow of tears trickle down her stricken face.

"Hey, come here," offered Tomasz, opening up his arms.

Kat collapsed into them and gave him the biggest hug she could manage. It was reassuring to feel the warmth of his skin and the regular flow of his breath. How easily that could all have been taken away from him - by her reckless papa.

"Ooh, not so tight," winced Tomasz after a couple of moments.

"Sorry," bustled Kat, as she pulled away. "I'm just glad you're..."

"...alive!" finished Tomasz.

"Yes," said Kat turning a bright red.

"Kat, just sit down and talk to me. Tell me how your Auntie Vi is terrorising the customers," smiled Tomasz. "Or how Maria is putting Epsom salts in the sandwiches of those evil bitches from your College."

Kat chuckled and started to tell him how Auntie Vi had terrified a delivery man who'd turned up on the wrong day!

After half an hour, Kat could tell that Tomasz was tiring. It was probably time for her to go.

"Don't be so hard on yourself," said Tomasz as Kat gathered up her things. "None of this was your fault."

"But if I'd talked him round. Got him leave before he could this to you."

"Kat, you can't control your papa. The best you can do is look after yourself. Maria tells me he's living with Vi."

"Yes."

"Good. Kat, don't let him back. He's no good."

Kat fiddled with piece of loose thread on the bed.

"What I did...not telling the police what really happened...I did it for you and your sister and the boys. Maybe I should have told them the truth, but I didn't want him to take it out on you all. Kat promise you won't take him back."

"I don't want him to come back, Tomasz, honestly I don't. But I might not have choice."

Tomasz looked pained. Kat didn't know if it was from the injury or what she'd just said.

"If you ever need help, Maria and I will always be there for you."

"I think you've done enough for me."

"A person can always do more than they think - remember that."

And as Kat walked out of the hospital, she cried as she replayed Tomasz's words - a person can always do more than they think. If only she'd heard that advice on the day of her audition, maybe she'd be in a totally different place right now.